San Francisco Info Plz

Entropy Perk

solipsistically derealized
Registered
Reaction score
The most isolated capital city in the world
Doing a short story set in SF. Some of my info may be out of date, so I want to touch base with a local who can let me know if the below still holds.

Shrader House. Still for 18-25ish mental health/addicts, or anyone over 18 now?

Tenderloin residential hotels- Are they all still sleezy as all get out, or are some decentish now? Are the ones in the Mission District really nicer?

Corner of Hyde and Post still have really nasty hookers? O'Ferrell still got them all lined up too?

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
As of 2006:
Shrader House???

Tenderloin: I was warned against walking through there alone by a local, and at night with friends it look low-rent. You could smell the pee.

Mission is a bit better, mixed and going upscale, but has it's sleaze.

I wasn't looking for hookers :)

Entropy Perk

solipsistically derealized
Registered
Reaction score
The most isolated capital city in the world
Shrader House is a mental health center, 10 beds, 24 hour care for people in crisis. Minor breakdowns, low grade suicide attempts (radical self harming) who also have addiction issues. They can stay for a few weeks and then are helped into co-ops and things, if they need it. It used to be 18-25, but I read something about a few older people being there now. A lot of street kids and girls wanting out of prostitution use it to get sober.

I really need a local to inform though. When I was there, you could spot half the hookers from a block away. Also a place to spot them (though some of the women may have been strippers) was where ever the hardcore bike messengers hung out at night.

Also, yeah@ the pee. It was like that in '88, '96, '01, too.

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
My mom and I were a naive tourists back in 1995
Stayed at a charming little boutique hotel that made me feel like I was in Spain.
Ate a fantastic dinner at a large, busy Vietnamese restaurant across the street.
Took a very short drive to the Civic Center for the opera.
Stopped at a tiny market for some Pepsi on the way home.
Had the best time ever!
Never knew we were in the Tenderloin district.
Homeless people and pee-stained streets? If I saw any of that, I must've thought it was "atmospheric" LOL

Sorry I can't help.. But thanks for letting me relive a great weekend :)

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
I was born and raised in the city. The last time I visited was in 1999. On Powell a block halfway north of Geary on the west side, several homeless of college age were lounging covered with blankets against a building. I made eye-contact with one, who said, "Thank you for condescending to notice me, sir." Possibly, they might have been college kids doing the requirements of hazing or experiencing homelessness for some course they were taking.

One of my cousins who lives in Foster City and a former SFPD dispatcher gave up her season tickets she'd had for the Civic Light Opera since her late teens because she refuses to go into the city it has gotten so bad in her opinion.

The only things that pissed me off during that visit:

1. At the top of the once elegant Mark, people were allowed in wearing sweats.

2. At the St. Francis Hotel lounge where we were dancing to Abe Battat's Trio, the bartenders announced last call at 12:45 for 1 AM.

Now that convinced me the City was in serious decline despite its great vistas and restaurants.

johnnycannuk

No, I'm little people now
Registered
Reaction score
I was in San Fran in late May and early June this past year.

1 Shrader House - no idea

2. Tenderloin isn't nearly as bad as its made out, even by the locals. I go to SF about once per year and never miss a night drinking at the "Night Cap"...The Mission is a bit better, with more hipsters and gentrification. A slightly different crowd goes to places like "Zietgiest" than "Night Cap".

3. I've stayed in the Hilton on O'Farrell about 5 times in the last 8 years. Never saw any hookers. Mind you, near Hyde and Post is a club called "Divas" - a tranny bar. Perhaps its the "performers" out haveing a smoke that people are mistaking for hookers?

That sounds better than plain old hookers anyway, from a story perspective, right?