What's your writing totem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancingandflying

Is it tea time yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Just for fun: Do you need specific items to write? If so, what?

For instance, I can only work on my WIP if I'm wearing my black fingerless gloves and if I'm listening to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album...

d&f.

Reaction score
I don't have anything I have to keep near me when I'm writing. If that were the case I'd be tying myself to a superstition rather than the love of writing itself.

As long as I've got a pen and paper, or my Neo, or my laptop, I can write.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
With each "must have in order to write" you remove a degree of freedom from your ability to write. Just seems like a silly thing to do. What if you get a good idea in a restaurant (one with paper napkins)? Nope, sorry. Don't have the right tunes and the right toenail polish. You're waiting for an airplane. Nope, wrong underwear. You find a quiet table in the library. Oops. You have panty liners instead of a tampon. Writing involves the travels of your mind transcribed by the movements of your fingers (onto a screen or piece of paper). Why push the itinerary through a bunch of toll booths?

Last edited:

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
All I need is pen and paper or my Neo. I always have these with me so I can write anytime, anywhere.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
I'm unsure what the word "totem" has to do with the thread idea...a totem is a family/clan emblem, representative of an ancient ancestor or founder. *confused* I can't think of a word right now for what the thread is really asking about (charm?...that doesn't quite fit either...UGH I know there's a word for it!), but "totem" doesn't seem to fit.

Sorry to be so picky, it's just that it's a word that's heavily misused and misunderstood and it niggles at me.

Anyway, I don't really have a writing...charm or whatever the word is that I can't think of right now. Just something to write with and I'm set. I've tried using things like a little statue of the Egyptian god of writing, Thoth, but they just sit there and don't actually help me write. :/ I think it can get dangerous if one "needs" something in order to write--what if the needed item isn't available at some point...? But that's just me.

--Tehuti, perpetual party pooper

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Together with your gownless evening-strap, no doubt. :poke:

Need someone to keep an eye on the stereo? :snoopy:

Just for fun: Do you need specific items to write? If so, what?

For instance, I can only work on my WIP if I'm wearing my black fingerless gloves and if I'm listening to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon album...

d&f.

Reaction score
Although I don't 'need' anything to help me write, I'm quite fond of the torn-off heads of my enemies, which I have on poles around my living room. Their festering deathsmell makes me happy, although the blood's an absolute bugger to get out of the carpet.

ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy

Registered
Reaction score
I have bunny pj's, like Ralphie gets in A CHRISTMAS STORY. The mittens make typing a bit tough, but the inspiration's worth the trade-off.

dancingandflying

Is it tea time yet?
Registered
Reaction score
With each "must have in order to write" you remove a degree of freedom from your ability to write... Why push the itinerary through a bunch of toll booths?

Sorry - I guess I exaggerated the significance of these items ("must have in order to write", "need", etc.). I don't need any of them to write; I write just as well without them. However, they do help in some ways. For instance, I've always listened to Pink Floyd when writing, so now it just helps me get into that mindset of BIC or "getting it done" faster than if I wasn't listening to it.

I don't know if what I just said supports or argues against your opinion, but, either way, it makes sense to me.

I'm unsure what the word "totem" has to do with the thread idea...a totem is a family/clan emblem, representative of an ancient ancestor or founder. *confused* I can't think of a word right now for what the thread is really asking about (charm?...that doesn't quite fit either...UGH I know there's a word for it!), but "totem" doesn't seem to fit...

Sorry to be so picky, it's just that it's a word that's heavily misused and misunderstood and it niggles at me.

--Tehuti, perpetual party pooper

Oops. Good to know... Sorry about my word confusion, but I'm glad you brought it up!

And don't worry - every party needs a pooper, and that's why we invited you! :D

Must be a tad cold where you are *shivers*

Quite. Just got a blizzard yesterday - perfect weather to stay inside, drink hot chocolate, and play video games... :D

d&f.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So long as I can see, I can write. I write a little more easily with music playing, though.

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
I bought a horse shoe when I was at a writing conference once. That's a story. But anyway, I always look at that before I sit down to write. Every so often it goes flipping off my desk onto the floor, and I take that as a bad sign.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As far as totems go (I agree with Tehuti's explanation), I like Lawrence Block's suggestion that the writer's totem is a spider. We both create delicate and (hopefully) beautiful things from what's within ourselves and--if we're lucky--that work will feed us too.

Personally, I don't "need" anything to write but me, myself and something to capture the words with. I like having something productive to work on (word puzzles, crocheting, etc) for those times my creative mind is chewing on the next bit, but that's a preference.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Funny you mention this. I have a blue rubber ring (you know, like the rubber bracelet things, but this is a ring that says "Eat Well") that I wear. I usually get it out when my creativity is slow and I swear it gives me ideas.

I sound like a raving lunatic, don't I? (Don't answer that.)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My totem is the penguin. Rotund. Slightly ridiculous. Magnificent in its element.

But for writing, I must have coffee. Tea will do in the winter.

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I'm curious to try writing with this aromatherapy candle I bought the other day. It's meant to have relaxing and anti-anxiety effects.

I like the idea of totems, as I can be very asthetically minded sometimes and it puts me in the mood if things "look right."

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
...my desk always has to be clean and in order before I begin. Gets me in the right frame of mind and also gives me a way to procrastinate before I set to work ;-)

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoy it when my lil' dogger comes to keep me company. The big dog just keeps watch over the house, but my lil' Spaniel always lays right behind my chair and makes sure I don't get lonely. I can write without her company, but it's not as warm and fuzzy.

Edit: I am the edit queen today.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.