PDA

View Full Version : Using POD temporarily...

Alexandra Little
12-14-2008, 08:05 AM
If I use a POD like lulu to make a couple of copies of my story for only my family members to read, does that have any affect on submitting it to publishers and agents? I'm not sure the rules on these things as I am not going the POD route to try to sell.

If someone else asked and answered this, please point me to the thread--I searched but had no luck. Thanks.

StephenJSweeney
12-14-2008, 03:39 PM
I don't see why it would... Technically you're just printing and binding it.

If you offer it for sale though, that'll likely cause problems. Keep the project private and only buy the copies you need.

Sargentodiaz
12-14-2008, 09:02 PM
As long as it doesn't have an ISBN(?) it isn't considered "published".

Reluctant Artist
12-15-2008, 09:21 PM
I did just that and shared my book with my book club. No harm, no foul.

MickRooney
12-20-2008, 06:34 AM
Alexandra,

One great help of privately printing copies with Lulu is having copies for family and friends, but I've also found it amazing how it shows up glaring errors which you'd never pick up on even a finely tuned ms after editing, things like spacing, paragraph, chapter headings etc. You'd also be amazed how many 'known' small publishers actually use Lulu for their own office proofs before they submit them to companies like Lightning Source.

Alexandra Little
12-20-2008, 06:44 AM
If you offer it for sale though, that'll likely cause problems. Keep the project private and only buy the copies you need.

Definitely not intended for sale--only for private printing. *Notes "private" option*

As long as it doesn't have an ISBN(?) it isn't considered "published".

So no ISBN. Check.

One great help of privately printing copies with Lulu is having copies for family and friends, but I've also found it amazing how it shows up glaring errors which you'd never pick up on even a finely tuned ms after editing, things like spacing, paragraph, chapter headings etc.

That is also part of the plan--I want a copy for me to critique, for a friend to critique, and a copy for my parents to read. I was going to use Kinkos or Staples, but I know Lulu (obviously) does perfect bound and I can set up a nice cover.

MickRooney
12-20-2008, 07:17 AM
Definitely not intended for sale--only for private printing. *Notes "private" option*
I was going to use Kinkos or Staples, but I know Lulu (obviously) does perfect bound and I can set up a nice cover.

Hey,

It's mom and dad, kinkos? Its christmas. I've got a mom and dad who went 'ok' when i published my first book! and i went 'jez'.

So make the extra bit of effort if it ill blow em away and they'll be proud of you! Shit, if it will take till new year, but what the hell, you're worth it!

James D. Macdonald
12-20-2008, 07:21 AM
Whether or not a book has an ISBN has no bearing on whether it's published. "Published" means "made public."

ISBNs are recent inventions.

If you sold 10,000 copies from the back of the hall when you gave lectures, would there be any doubt that your work was published, even without that ISBN?

Sargentodiaz
12-20-2008, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by MickRooney
One great help of privately printing copies with Lulu is having copies for family and friends, but I've also found it amazing how it shows up glaring errors which you'd never pick up on even a finely tuned ms after editing, things like spacing, paragraph, chapter headings etc.

Another great help is to simply use Adobe Reader to turn your manuscript into a pdf. It's amazing what you see when it's formatted that way.

2Wheels
12-23-2008, 05:58 AM
I did a private project on Lulu with my MS. Bought some perfect bound copies for my beta's to read and markup, because you do indeed see a lot of things you missed, once it looks like a book and not a massive term paper :). The cover says "Not for Sale or Distribution". All copies will be returned to me. I likened it to taking the Word file down to a local copy shop and asking them to print me a standard MS format copy rather than print it on my own printer.

The only problem is that once the file is printed by Lulu, you can't delete it from their servers, only "retire" it - even though it was never made public.

Alexandra Little
12-24-2008, 07:40 AM
The only problem is that once the file is printed by Lulu, you can't delete it from their servers, only "retire" it - even though it was never made public.

Hmm...

StephenJSweeney
01-04-2009, 01:01 AM

Actually, you can! But it's a bit of a hack. I did the following for removing ALL the files from my own 6x9 novel from their servers.

Do the following,

1) Create a 32 page 6x9 PDF with nothing but blank pages.
2) Un-Retire your project
3) Click Revise
4) Upload the blank PDF and elect to use that as your source material (so that it is the only file). This will remove the association of the original source. Ensure the blank PDF is the only file being used for the book / manuscript.
5) Click through to finish

Because your original manuscript file is now an orphan (i.e. - it is not part of a project), it will disappear in 21 days. For me, all the files were deleted instantly.

Give it a go.

cpickett
01-04-2009, 01:46 AM
You might also want to check with your local print shops belive it or not. One in my area has the capability to do perfect bound books. The cost per book wouldn't be much more than Lulu and some may have designers on staff to help with that part if you need it.

Also, if your intent is mainly to have family & friends read it to give you feedback for something that you will try to get picked up by a traditional publisher, why not just put it in a 3 ring binder, or spiral bind as most printers can certainly help with? Also keeps exposure quite minimal. If you want to give as a gift, maybe wait until the final product.

I also agree having an ISBN is not the determing factor. However, doing test run or even independently publishing period doesn't necessarily negate chances of traditional picking it up espeically if you indicate what you did was only for feedback.

You might also want to post this question at the "ask the editor" thread. I'm sure she'll know much more.

psykeout
01-04-2009, 02:18 AM
Kinko's, at least in my area, can make a really nice book. I talked to an old roommate of mine (who happened to be the manager) who said that the going rate was +/- $15 a book. Depended on a variety of options.

But, that may be more or less than lulu, I don't know. I just thought it was something to look into, simply to have a bound copy of my ms that I spaced out and such. Pretty much bring them the file and see what they can do for you.

It's not public, you're only printing off a certain amount and they're not going to steal it.

Hope that helps.

MisterEThoughts
01-29-2009, 02:58 AM
This is a great thread. Thank you!!