PDA

View Full Version : Day of listening Interview DISCUSSION thread.

Stew21
12-14-2008, 04:48 AM
You're reading the interviews. You have comments. Maybe some of your own questions.

go ahead. Discuss.

:)

maxmordon
12-14-2008, 05:58 AM
Checking out some of your interviews guys makes me feel I gave lame answers.

mscelina
12-14-2008, 07:37 AM
You didn't.

I'm finding the different interviewing styles and the thoughtful responses of the interviewees quite fascinating.

And nooooo...I'm not making character notes. I would never do that.

*evil grin*

Beach Bunny
12-14-2008, 10:54 AM
I have a question for SoccerMom, tell me about these donkeys. Are they real donkeys or toy donkeys? (You live on a farm so they could be real, but I think you said your son dropped one on the ground so I'm thinking they are toys.)

mscelina
12-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Actually, they're miniature donkeys--live ones. They're adorable. SM lurves them lots.

maxmordon
12-14-2008, 12:36 PM
You didn't.

I'm finding the different interviewing styles and the thoughtful responses of the interviewees quite fascinating.

*evil grin*

If you ever base a character on me... name him Max or something similar so I shall know :D

Stew21
12-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Got a couple of reps regarding the readability of some of the interviews.

Bold black questions, black answers seems to be the consensus on easiest reading.

If you posted and it isn't in the format, you might consider changing it.

I'll be going back and changing the ones I posted.

vixey
12-14-2008, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the tip on formatting...heading over to change mine now. :)

KTC
12-14-2008, 06:07 PM
I've read most of the posted ones so far. Some great stuff. This was an awesome idea, Trish.

PS...Ray, talk much! Just kidding...I enjoyed your answers.

KTC
12-14-2008, 06:18 PM
I really enjoyed Kuwi's interview. I always wondered what the comment in his user profile meant...the one about F. Scott. I'm a huge fan of F's...and was curious. Great stuff. And since I have read his work in SYW...I was already a fan. Good to learn more.

Serenity
12-14-2008, 07:01 PM
I loved participating in this! I also love what I am learning here. Not just about the people, although that is fascinating, but about the places they live in, the struggles faced, all of it. This was a great idea!

Ken
12-14-2008, 07:26 PM
...great idea, Trish, and catalyst :e2grouphu

dolores haze
12-14-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm really enjoying the interviews. Great idea, Stew!

Stew21
12-14-2008, 08:04 PM
Glad you are enjoying it! I am too. It's cold and windy here today. Perfect day to sit and read.

dolores haze
12-14-2008, 08:59 PM
OFG's interviews with her and her husband's female ancestors are absolutely wonderful.

ChaosTitan
12-14-2008, 09:02 PM
I agree, these have been fun to read. Now I'm sorry I didn't participate. :(

Cranky
12-14-2008, 09:03 PM
These interviews have been great. Mine will be up later this afternoon.

Stew21
12-14-2008, 09:06 PM

I wish you would have participated too!

Haggis
12-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Well, that was an interesting hour and a half.

Fun stuff, folks. Even Ferret's obsession with buts.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks, everyone... I almost didn't post 'em 'cause they weren't really 'AW Interviews', but those two women were incredible in the things they survived. And I didn't even tell all of Ol' Boy's grandmother's story. Crossing the North Sea on the first leg of their journey back to America, their ship was surrounded by German gunboats, stopped, and searched. I have in my possession the few books that survived the experience.

I've been sitting here all morning reading the other interviews... incredibly good. Incredibly.

aruna
12-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Great stuff...

smsarber
12-14-2008, 09:28 PM
It was an honor to be interviewed by Yeshanu, and it was such a brilliant idea, Trish. I look forward to reading ALL of the interviews ( call me wierd, but I read mine first. I'm an attention monkey). Thanks for the props, Ruth:D

Godfather
12-14-2008, 10:02 PM
i was thrilled to be interviewed (specially by kid, that fabulous haiku-ist), and this is such a great idea. i'm enjoying reading the interviews

MsK
12-14-2008, 10:12 PM
What a fantastic idea, Stew!
I've totally enjoyed reading through the interviews and am looking forward to reading the rest as they are posted. Great stories, guys!

Stew21
12-14-2008, 10:41 PM
Williebee has his interview with me and Perks' interview of Williebee but has to get them on the server so he's working it out. Audio files! woohoo!

Instead of reading for the day of listening, we'll get to listen.

Stew21
12-14-2008, 11:11 PM
You can use this thread for follow up questions too, if an interview sparked your interest and you want to know more, go ahead and ask. I think many of the folks would be more than happy to talk more.

Discuss some of the interviews. Which ones did you like? What made you laugh? Whose answers surprised you most?:)

For me, I loved the way Celina wrote her interviews.
I loved the OFG went ahead and gave us the interviews of the ancestors. I know it means a lot to you, OFG, and the love for your subjects came through. Fascinating.

I still have a bunch to read!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-15-2008, 12:03 AM
I've got to give Mr. Haskins mad props for his closing poem.

Celina's interview style is fantastic.

Silver King confirmed what I've suspected all along.

Robeiae's words are wise: Remember, read history but never trust historians.

Cray, darlin'!, that was a HORRIBLE summer job!

Stew21
12-15-2008, 12:07 AM
When I saw the poem William used for his last question I was giddy. I've loved it since he first posted it.
He also has posted it in Midnight Poetry on AuthorScoop. I keep a copy of it in my desk. When you get down on writing you read it. Suddenly you are driven. William has called me to action more than once with his poetry. That's why I had to interview him. (well, that and I think he's goddamn funny).

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-15-2008, 12:11 AM
Not to mention sanguine.

alleycat
12-15-2008, 12:12 AM
Saritam8 hasn't posted my interview. Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned my collection of human heads I keep in the freezer, or that I have an imaginary pet monkey named Chester.

Some people just can't take the truth.

;-)

Stew21
12-15-2008, 12:14 AM
Sara is in NYC. I think she'll be posting later.

There should not be an aversion to human heads. Did you see what William Haskin's mother said about him?

Denton
12-15-2008, 12:20 AM
Read a couple of the interviews so far. Both extremely interesting... made me think about many things.

Looking forward to reading more.

Stew21
12-15-2008, 12:20 AM
The Perks interviewing Williebee audio is awesome. Funny stuff, jamie and willie!

Stew21
12-15-2008, 12:38 AM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35212

Someone asked for the Blue Rock link from the W. Haskins interview. Here you go!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-15-2008, 12:39 AM
The Stew21 interview is pretty dang fantastic, too.

Someday, Trish, we'll all be saying, "We knew you could do it all along."

Yeshanu
12-15-2008, 12:47 AM
It was an honor to be interviewed by Yeshanu, and it was such a brilliant idea, Trish. I look forward to reading ALL of the interviews ( call me wierd, but I read mine first. I'm an attention monkey). Thanks for the props, Ruth:D

As I think I said, it was an honour to do the interviewing. And I can't fix my post title, but I did put in an apology to you and my readers, and have a PM out to Trish to fix it. :o

Can we do this again, sometime? Chaos isn't the only one who didn't participate, and I only had time to do four this go-round. These things are worse than popcorn or chips--definitely can't eat just one!

Stew21
12-15-2008, 12:48 AM
Williebee was awesome. we talked before he started recording just so he could ask what songs I like. That's why Eric Clapton is playing between edits.

He edited out about 4 minutes of rambling which is awesome.

And he asked great questions.

So much fun.

(and thanks Jamie and Willie for the shout out for the day of listening. I'm so glad I decided to bring the idea to AW).

You've all given me a great christmas present by participating.

Stew21
12-15-2008, 12:50 AM
I changed it for you, Ruth. Not a problem. And yes, there were folks that couldn't do it this time or missed it.

We can definitely do it again. Maybe this summer we'll have a Day of listening revisited. Or maybe we'd do ourselves better to have a week of listening with more interviews but also some features on some cool projects, sites, etc belonging to the people of AW.

Yes. I definitely think we could do this again.

mscelina
12-15-2008, 01:03 AM
I'm definitely pleased by how many of us participated. It would be fun to do it again. The interviews have all been interesting and fun to read, and my character notes files...er...respect for everyone has been growing as I read.

jst5150
12-15-2008, 01:04 AM
FYI, she and I are fixing this right now. Her interview will be posted before the end of the day.

I thought Darzian's interview INCREDIBLY complelling. Contrasting it with Laurie's interview I thought proved some fascinating insight.

Williebee
12-15-2008, 01:09 AM
MsCelina-- really nice work. I like the style.

IF Soccer Mom decides to bite head of a bird before a trial, can we get that on youtube?

(Court TV would probably already have the rights, though...)

Sophia
12-15-2008, 01:11 AM
I particularly liked hearing the audio interviews. Williebee, Perks and Stew21 all have great voices, and it was really nice matching a 'person' to the posts here. Stew21 - your voice is lovely, really sing-song and friendly.

robeiae
12-15-2008, 01:21 AM
Follow-up question for Haggis:

What does an enema taste like, anyway?

KTC
12-15-2008, 01:23 AM
I just listened to Trish's interview. Great job to both the interviewer and the interviewee.

I want to put something straight...two things, I guess...#1 is that the novel we've been writing together feels much like a mentoring/learning experience to ME (she was asked if it was the other way around...but she's miles above me). I feel like I'm way behind on the journey. Trish is incredible. I've learned so much writing with her. #2...yes, it is all my fault that the novel is on hold. I apologize for that, Trish.

Great interview.

smsarber
12-15-2008, 01:29 AM

Better than haggis!:e2faint:

And, my Elf Queen, you don't need to apologize. Teachers, judges, telemarketers, doctors, you get the idea, all have messed it up... for some reason my name is just easy to misspell. It's "Barber" but with an "S". Seems so simple, but who knew, right?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-15-2008, 01:32 AM
Ol' Boy and I just want to say, for the record, we're both in love with Jamie's and Trish's voices.

mscelina
12-15-2008, 01:54 AM

I thought about that one, but thought it might abrogate the 'wise old guy' angle I was working from...

Stew21
12-15-2008, 01:57 AM
Ol' Boy and I just want to say, for the record, we're both in love with Jamie's and Trish's voices.

Thanks, but....

You could actually hear my voice through my stuttering? ;)

Jesus... did you ever hear so many sentence fillers in all your life?

KTC
12-15-2008, 02:00 AM
No apron wringing, Trish. You were wonderful.

robeiae
12-15-2008, 02:01 AM
Jesus... did you ever hear so many sentence fillers in all your life?
Yes...on my wedding day.

Stew21
12-15-2008, 02:04 AM
hey, Rob, LOOK!

Kevin is Reading Sommerset Maugham!

[/distraction tactic]

robeiae
12-15-2008, 02:07 AM
But you know, all jesting aside (would that I could put KTC aside, too), it really was a fun thing. And Trish deserves a great many kudos for thinking it up and putting it together.

I've found all the interviews quite worth reading, some especially so. I've yet to listen to the audio ones--I fear change--but I will, eventually.

As to OFG's comment about my words being wise, that's the nicest thing she's ever said to me. Too bad I don't remember writing any of the answers, since I was plastered at the time...

maxmordon
12-15-2008, 02:07 AM
Quite interesting interviews!

Yeshanu
12-15-2008, 02:13 AM
Reading the interviews is like unwrapping presents on Christmas morning, or eating a gazillion-course dinner where every course satisfies but doesn't fill you quite up to the top...

And reading my answers and comparing them to other people's answers makes me feel like I left out a lot that I could have said...

Oh, and if anyone really, really wants to read the essay wherein I tell some of the reasons why my favourite book is indeed my favourite book, I can email it to you if you give me an addy. The prof gave it 90%, and kept a copy to show future classes in that course exactly what he wanted from that particular assignment. It's titled "A Place That Never Was: Home, Homelessness, and Homecoming in Lord of the Rings." And it's 11 pages long, including the title page. :D

III
12-15-2008, 02:21 AM
Listening to Trish's interview now, then on to Jamie's. These interviews are just great. I loved finding out more about guys that I know fairly well like Ray and Compton and getting to know the folks I haven't interacted with yet, like Godfather.

ETA: Williebee has a great radio voice.

Perks
12-15-2008, 02:21 AM
Well, what a day. I'm very impressed with the different interview styles! And you all were and open as I'd hoped you'd be. It's wonderful to know you somewhat better.

Trish, what an exceptional idea. Thank you for this.

Sarita
12-15-2008, 02:26 AM
An emotional toddler and a trip to NYC has delayed me. But I'll have Alleycat & Kimmi's interviews up this evening. Clockwork and I should be doing our audio interview tonight and I'll have it sent over to Mac shortly thereafter.

Thanks for your patience :) These are great!

mscelina
12-15-2008, 02:30 AM
Maybe next time I'll have the techno-fu to do actual audio interviews. I would have tried it this time (just for the pleasure of hearing what my interviewees sounded like) but I've been really pressed for time as of late and didn't want to riskk screwing it up. *sigh* But it would have been fun.

I have to admit, Trish, that the interviews I was most looking forward to reading are the ones you did--and you didn't disappoint. Thank you. :)

Stew21
12-15-2008, 02:31 AM
Well, what a day. I'm very impressed with all different interview styles! And you all were and open as I'd hoped you'd be. It's wonderful to know you all a bit better.

Trish, what an exceptional idea. Thank you for this.
I'm just so glad you all took to the idea and joined me! I'm considering it my christmas present from AW. 11 days early.

Perks
12-15-2008, 02:31 AM
Ol' Boy and I just want to say, for the record, we're both in love with Jamie's and Trish's voices.Thank ye kindly, but how about the pipes on Williebee?

He's got an absolutely gorgeous voice. I want him to read the audiobook version of my novel(s).

Plus, he can sing. He and I, driving around after dinner, singing in my car is one of the little memories that weighs even with the milestone moments in my life. Loved it.

Except now it's been tainted with his besmirchment of my driving style.

Stew21
12-15-2008, 02:33 AM
I have to admit, Trish, that the interviews I was most looking forward to reading are the ones you did--and you didn't disappoint. Thank you. :)

I had got first choice. I knew who I'd want to interview. I just knew. I'm glad you liked them.

And yes, next time...MORE AUDIO!

III
12-15-2008, 02:39 AM
YEEEARRRGH! Jamie's fingernail story. Gnarly.

Stew21
12-15-2008, 02:41 AM
I know. I love that Willie made her tell her story too. They had great phone chemistry, didn't they!

maxmordon
Audio would be awesome! Hopefully I will have bought a mike by then.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
Thank ye kindly, but about about the pipes on Williebee?

He's got an absolutely gorgeous voice. I want him to read the audiobook version of my novel(s).

Plus, he can sing. He and I, driving around after dinner, singing in my car is one of the little memories that weighs even with the milestone moments in my life. Loved it.

Except now it's been tainted with his besmirchment of my driving style.

Well... Ol' Boy was reading over my shoulder and I didn't want him to feel jealous.

Williebee ought to be a DJ or something. Maybe phone sex for teh laydeez. :D

Perks
12-15-2008, 02:46 AM
YEEEARRRGH! Jamie's fingernail story. Gnarly.Your interview was terrific. I heart you, man.

And yeah, that fingernail thing was poor.

Williebee
12-15-2008, 02:48 AM
besmirchment? You kiss your kids with that mouth?

what? Oh... Wow, good word.

I'd be honored to be allowed to help tell your tale, Miss Perks.

As to the audio-fu, anybody needs a "how to", let me know. Happy to help.

Yeah, the fingernail story was some seriously nasty stuff to imagine.

Hey III? Seems to have become a regular thing for me, for my respect for you to grow.

You're good man. Same is true for JComp.

I look forward to sharing a beer with you both again.

well... not "sharing" you understand.

Perks
12-15-2008, 02:52 AM
I look forward to sharing a beer with you both again.

well... not "sharing" you understand.You guys could always use three straws.

I was really looking forward to Jcomp's. I think I subtly stalk him. I don't mean to, but the light... it's so beautiful. I enjoyed his interview very much.

Stew21
12-15-2008, 02:52 AM
I laughed loud - out-loud loud - listening to the Perks/Williebee interview.

Good stuff.

Hit in the face with a car, twice?

You two are too much.

Loved it.

And yes, III had a great interview.

And Jason gave great answers to William Haskins!

cray gave a great interview and so did ShadyLane

I have loved today. thank you all!

Perks
12-15-2008, 02:55 AM
I've got to give Mr. Haskins mad props for his closing poem.

My office is decorated with four framed poems by AWers (with their permission.) I've got two of Haskins', but I think this might be my favorite of his. He wrote it after I printed the other two, but I've got more wall space.

Oh, the other two are by Stew21 and Poetinahat.

Stew21
12-15-2008, 03:26 AM
yes. mine on your wall makes that driving story better for me. Formula One isn't a far stretch. :)

III
12-15-2008, 03:32 AM
You guys could always use three straws.

We did that the first time but we were all giggling so hard we kept blowing bubbles into the beer. Then some passing Girl Scouts beat us up and stoleded our wallets, so it was a mixed evening.

III
12-15-2008, 03:37 AM
Oh, and Trish, can you fix the formatting on my interview with Norman D. Gutter? I PM'ed you another version. He included a poem, but it looks like the paragraph breaks got messed up in the PM or the post. Thanks.

robeiae
12-15-2008, 03:38 AM
An emotional toddler and a trip to NYC has delayed me.
Oh, I didn't know you were going with Rolling Thunder...

:ROFL:

Stew21
12-15-2008, 03:40 AM
Oh, and Trish, can you fix the formatting on my interview with Norman D. Gutter? I PM'ed you another version. He included a poem, but it looks like the paragraph breaks got messed up in the PM or the post. Thanks.

For some reason I didn't get your second email.

Can you send again. Or just post what you have and I'll delete the one I posted. That might be easiest. I lost formatting on a couple of them when I posted them.

Perks
12-15-2008, 04:09 AM
Am seriously loving Jason's interview with the AW server. Sassy little box. Who knew?

smsarber
12-15-2008, 04:18 AM
YEEEARRRGH! Jamie's fingernail story. Gnarly.
For anyone truly brave, follow the link to my MySpace page and look in my photos. I have the surgical wound in my back (about halfway through its healing) posted in there. And a very emaciated pic of myself right after the coma.
Surgical wound:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbumPhoto&albumID=128570&imageID=429427&MyToken=618cc42c-2156-4edd-a519-373a13eb312f
Skinny Dude!:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbumPhoto&albumID=128570&imageID=429398&MyToken=fae70b18-8b8e-4081-827e-07d3ef9c8621

vixey
12-15-2008, 04:19 AM
Am seriously loving Jason's interview with the AW server. Sassy little box. Who knew?

I'm just glad the server didn't reveal reps and PMs. :D

Haggis
12-15-2008, 04:44 AM

my wedding day.

Well, if you're going to answer your own questions....

Perks
12-15-2008, 04:46 AM
For anyone truly brave, follow the link to my MySpace page and look in my photos. I have the surgical wound in my back (about halfway through its healing) posted in there. And a very emaciated pic of myself right after the coma.
Surgical wound:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbumPhoto&albumID=128570&imageID=429427&MyToken=618cc42c-2156-4edd-a519-373a13eb312f
Skinny Dude!:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbumPhoto&albumID=128570&imageID=429398&MyToken=fae70b18-8b8e-4081-827e-07d3ef9c8621That was a bit :e2thud:

Stew21
12-15-2008, 04:47 AM
Jason, for a guy who showed up to this game the day before, you sure have outdone yourself. You've interviewed two people, a server (hysterical), and were interviewed yourself all since you saw the thread last night.

Thanks for coming along!

KTC
12-15-2008, 04:53 AM
hey, Rob, LOOK!

Kevin is Reading Sommerset Maugham!

[/distraction tactic]

Distraction or not...it's an amazing book into the writer's life. A must read for all writers everywhere.

scarletpeaches
12-15-2008, 04:59 AM
I would hereby like to proclaim that KTC stole my avatar/usertitle idea.

Proof:
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/doriangrayspictures/KTCrep.jpg

maestrowork
12-15-2008, 05:37 AM
Listening to Trish's interview now, then on to Jamie's. These interviews are just great. I loved finding out more about guys that I know fairly well like Ray and Compton and getting to know the folks I haven't interacted with yet, like Godfather.

ETA: Williebee has a great radio voice.

Same here, Jay, I got goosebumps after you sent me back your answers. It's great to see another side of you (other than the jackass side :D). Next time, though, we should just go ahead and do the mp3 thing.

Great to hear/read everyone's answers, so especially revealing and touching. We have some really special, talented, and cool people here.

I can't wait to hear the story of my interviewer, Sharon. She has such a rich background and life -- it'd be fascinating.

Cheers for Trish for doing this. You're awesome.

maestrowork
12-15-2008, 05:40 AM
I feel like being intimate with AW Server. She had me at 404.

maestrowork
12-15-2008, 05:44 AM
I loved participating in this! I also love what I am learning here. Not just about the people, although that is fascinating, but about the places they live in, the struggles faced, all of it. This was a great idea!

And you had TWO interviews. Feel special? :)

Love ya -- I'm glad to get to know you better. :D

Bravo
12-15-2008, 06:11 AM
just because i was sitting there breathing heavy doesnt mean you can hang up on me, perks.

Perks
12-15-2008, 06:18 AM
just because i was sitting there breathing heavy doesnt mean you can hang up on me, perks.I hung up on Williebee because he insulted my driving. What did you do, again?

dclary
12-15-2008, 08:02 AM
This was an awesome idea. The interviews were great. I want to interview somebody next time!!!

scarletpeaches
12-15-2008, 08:03 AM
Not me. I know what you'd ask and the answer's no.

KTC
12-15-2008, 08:11 AM
I would hereby like to proclaim that KTC stole my avatar/usertitle idea.

Proof:
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii53/doriangrayspictures/KTCrep.jpg

That's just nasty.

Stew21
12-15-2008, 08:16 AM
I love how you're all talking about when we do it again. :)

(and Kevin, i think you're pretty amazing, too)

kdnxdr
12-15-2008, 08:18 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you, Trish, this was much fun!

kid

Sarita
12-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Clockwork is going to send Williebee the file tomorrow, since it is... well, 4:30 am there now. Ha! So, the day of listening will have to be extended into two days of listening :)

I had such a great time doing this! Trish, you rock.

Stew21
12-15-2008, 08:40 AM
I think we have a few other delays (including poetinahat's and cranky's), so no problem if we have to wait until tomorrow on clockwork's.

Meerkat
12-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Has anyone else been accidently repping the INTERVIEWER for great answers and poems and such, thinking the rp was going to the responder?

No one?

Of course not, because it would be so--dude, it's ridiculous.

God I'm dumb...

Stew21
12-15-2008, 08:42 AM
I was wondering when you were going to realize that I'm not William or cray. ;)

Poor meerkitty.

Meerkat
12-15-2008, 08:43 AM
You didn't READ them, did you?

I don't really like those worms--I was just getting their hopes up!

Stew21
12-15-2008, 08:44 AM
they were in my user cp. Of course I read them. :)

scarletpeaches
12-15-2008, 08:47 AM
If anyone wants to tell me how great I am, of course, there are always PMs.

kdnxdr
12-15-2008, 08:52 AM
There are 57 posts on the interview thread and over 1,000 views!

Does that mean the thread gets nominated for something, like some kind of globe or something????

It should.

aruna
12-15-2008, 01:54 PM
And if any of have not read the full story of Laurie and Fahim's whirlwind romance, I command you to do so now! Here it is:
http://laurieandfahim.laurieashton.com/
Really, it will destroy your cynicism and restore your faith in humanity and make you cry.

L M Ashton
12-15-2008, 03:06 PM
And if any of have not read the full story of Laurie and Fahim's whirlwind romance, I command you to do so now! Here it is:
http://laurieandfahim.laurieashton.com/
Really, it will destroy your cynicism and restore your faith in humanity and make you cry.
It makes me tear up every time I merely think about it. We have a great story, if I may say so myself. :)

mscelina
12-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Hell, all of the interviews have been fascinating.

But mine. *sniff* I'm so boring. And Laurie--I teared up when I read that too.

L M Ashton
12-15-2008, 03:26 PM
I just read Darzian's interview, and just to make things absolutely clear, Darzian is not, in any way, shape, or form, exaggerating things in terms of him being Tamil, the possibilities of his arrest or detainment, the dangers for him of leaving his house, or the rest of it. Not that I think anyone would doubt what he's saying - this is just to affirm that, yes, it is that bad/can be that bad for Tamil people.

Life for Tamils in this country is extremely difficult and problematic. In that respect, being white is the easiest option since security/army people take one look at me and let me go - I'm never detained and there is as close to a 0% chance as possible that I would never be arrested or jailed for no reason. Compared to Darzian, it's very safe for me to go out and about, and I don't consider it safe here.

Fahim's told me stories about how, years ago in the 1980s, I think, gangs of boys/men would stop every man/boy they saw and demand to know their name and ethnicity. If the answer was Tamil, they'd get beaten up. I've been told by other people how it was the nastiness of the war in the 1980s that led to so many people putting up concrete/cement/brick 8" walls around their property for protection. Anyone who can afford a wall has one.

And go anywhere in Colombo, and you frequently see people missing arms or legs. You know, from the land mines.

*sigh* I have to stop. I could go on for forever. Hope I'm not boring anyone.

aruna
12-15-2008, 03:33 PM
*sigh* I have to stop. I could go on for forever. Hope I'm not boring anyone.

Boring? No way. But what about Fahim? He's Muslim, isn't he? What is their position?

L M Ashton
12-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Position on what? I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.

Fahim's personal view on this whole war is that it's just politicians and other greedy people doing a grab for power so they can accumulate more wealth, and screw the little person, which is the rest of the country. Well, okay, that might be more my view than his - the lines get blurred sometimes. His view is also that he's a Sri Lankan. So are the Sinhalese, the Tamils, the Dutch Burghers, and so on, and really, why argue about petty little unimportant things like what race/ethnicity a person is.

ETA:

Some Muslims in the north and east are siding with the Tamil Tigers, but in reality, not everyone who's fighting for/with the Tamil Tigers are there willingly. The Tamil Tigers are known for forcing men, women, and children into fighting for them upon threat of either their own death or the death of the rest of their family. The Tamil Tigers are also known for forcing people to give up their money or other wealth to support the war effort - and this happens in Canada and the UK as well among Tamils who are settled there. It's a very nasty business.

The Tamil Tigers are not fighting for the Tamil people.

A couple of years ago, the then president offered the Tamil Tigers amnesty and the ability to hold elections in their areas to decide who the provincial leaders were. The Tamil Tigers turned it down and said, "No. We must be the local government." Does that sound like people who are fighting for their own kind?

ETA2: Near as I can tell, most people, regardless of whether they're Sinhalese, Tamil, Dutch Bergher, or Muslim, just want the damn war over. That's all. Just. Over. Now. Peace, please. They don't want it. They didn't want it.

And, by the way, in case you can't tell, yes, I hate war. I hate it especially when it's so completely unnecessary. I hate it when it's two sides, both completely in the wrong, both doing whatever they can to win regardless of the expense for everyone else but them. Hate hate hate hate hate it. In case that wasn't clear. :)

aruna
12-15-2008, 03:45 PM
I really meant, what is the situation for Muslims? I don't quite understand the whole situation in Sri Lanka... I know vaguely the difference between Tamils and Sinhalese, but where do the other groups fit in?

L M Ashton
12-15-2008, 03:59 PM
Ah. Okay, basic rundown which will likely have mistakes. Darzian can correct me. :D

Originally, there were the Veddahs, the native people on this island. They're nearly wiped out now, estimated to number in around 200. Which is a tragedy in and of itself.

Then the Sinhalese invaded. From India, I believe. That was over 2000 years ago and they came to conquer. They're the majority now, about 70% of the population, and they're predominantly Buddhist and generally speak Sinhala as their first language.

The Muslims (Moors) came here about 600 years ago - Saudi Arabia. They number around 7 or 8% of the population. I believe they came as traders, not as conquerors. Generally, they speak Tamil as the first language, but there are exceptions based on the community the Muslims are from. Fahim, for example, learned Sinhala first, as did his sibs. But his family is not exactly usual.

The Tamils are from Tamil Nadu, a state in the southern part of India. Tamils are generally Hindu and are around 14% of the population. They came over in several waves, sometimes as conquerors, sometimes as refugees. Within the Tamil community, I'm told, there are differentiations between the old Tamils and the new wave, the new wave being seen as of lesser worth. The Tamils generally speak Tamil as their first language.

The Burghers are those who are of mixed descent between the Sinhalese and the Portugeuse or Dutch from back in the day when they ruled. The Burghers tend to be Christian and have names like Mary Fernando/Perera and so on. Generally, they speak English as a first language. They're around 7 or 8% of the population.

Sri Lanka, or Ceylon, or the various other names it has had, has been ruled by all sorts of people. Sinhala kings, Tamil kings, the Dutch, the Portugeuse, the British. It's got an interesting history that, quite frankly, I do not have a handle on. I imagine Wikipedia would do a better job at explaining it.

The Sinhalese, since they're the majority and since corruption is so rampant, tend to behave a bit like bullies. Because they can and because there's no one to stop them. He who has the most money wins. Usually. There are honest people here, but they tend to get overshadowed by the loud obnoxious corrupt ones.

ETA: By the way, everyone's brown. The Burghers are sort of halfway between brown and pink, but everyone else is brown. You can't tell by looking at anyone what ethnicity they are. It's not just me - I've asked this of locals, and they've confirmed it. BUT you CAN tell ethnicity from the names, and there's no mistaking ethnicity there. Even I can tell what ethnicity someone is based on their name.

aruna
12-15-2008, 04:16 PM
Thank you. That is the best rundown I've read so far!
There is nothing so absolutely senseless as civil war/infighting based on race/etnicity/culture. I remember in the movie Hotel Rwanda that nobody could actually tell the difference between Hutu and Tutsi. It is nothing more than a mental concept... and people get killed for it.

I've been to Sri Lanka. The first thing I thought when I got there, is, this is JUST like home. The whole feeling I got, the vegetation, the fruit and flowers, was just like in Guyana. What a paradise. And how wicked, to destroy that country.

Of course, my real home is in Tamil Nadu! So I'm close in another way...

L M Ashton
12-15-2008, 04:19 PM
And I agree with everything you've said.

Fighting a war to overthrow an evil dictator/evil ruler, someone who threatens your freedom, fine. But this? This isn't it.

This country could be so much better than it is. It's got great potential. But, no, the politicians just.... Ack! Turning bright red, blood pressure rising...

Perks
12-15-2008, 04:55 PM
I just read Darzian's interview, and just to make things absolutely clear, Darzian is not, in any way, shape, or form, exaggerating things in terms of him being Tamil, the possibilities of his arrest or detainment, the dangers for him of leaving his house, or the rest of it. Not that I think anyone would doubt what he's saying - this is just to affirm that, yes, it is that bad/can be that bad for Tamil people.

God, that's awful. When I read his interview, I wondered what you and Fahim would have to say about about. Thanks for commenting.

jst5150
12-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Jason, for a guy who showed up to this game the day before, you sure have outdone yourself. You've interviewed two people, a server (hysterical), and were interviewed yourself all since you saw the thread last night.

Thanks for coming along!
Trish, I echo what many hae said here -- you deserve the lion's share of credit for making the day a HUGE success. Many of us made connections with other people we barely know from Carmel, Calif., to Columbo, Sri Lanka. And you were the catalyst for all that.

I was actually a big dummy, misreading what the day was about. And when I figured it out, I REALLY wanted to contribute because 1.) I love interviewing people, something I've done as a combat correspondent from 21 years and 2.) I didn't want to be left out of the high jinks.

Again, trish, OUTSTANDING organization and motivation for the event and thank you for the opportunity.

Stew21
12-15-2008, 05:18 PM
Well thank you, but I just had the idea. It was all of you who executed it.

Thanks for doing it!

cray
12-15-2008, 06:36 PM
all cool interviews to read!

great idea and nice job getting folks interested!
way to go, trish!

cray

Magdalen
12-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Yes, yes, thanks, thanks Trish! (I'm echoing Cray & Jason) I got a jump on the assignment and then forgot the date yesterday, so I just added a post now. Thanks again! These were great reading.

Perks
12-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Now that was interesting -- and intimidating. I was intrigued by the series interviews, the ones where several people answered the same questions from one interviewer. I didn't know I was living that movie.

So I ended up answering the same set of questions as two of our deepest members, Aruna and Ganesha. Ganesha's isn't up just yet. All I have to say is, boy do I look shallow next to our dear Aruna. Not that I wouldn't have expected that outcome and it's not a matter of shame for me, only a chance to tell her how wonderful I think she is.

Stew21
12-15-2008, 08:49 PM
You don't look shallow, Jamie. You just have different personalities. I liked both interviews very much.

Perks
12-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Lol! I'm not pouting. It's hardly an insult to be a bit watery compared to Aruna (and likely Ganesha.) Most of us suffer in comparison there. And I like you all just fine!

I thought it was interesting to see that Aruna and I elaborated on different questions.

Perks
12-15-2008, 09:02 PM
Now I want to see your (Stew21's) interview of my interviewer! All these pesky time zones and real life.

Darzian
12-15-2008, 09:05 PM
L M Ashton got the history right.

Problems in Sri Lanka began cropping up after the British granted independence and left in 1948. They handed over power to the majority Sinhalese, who then used it to suppress the minorities. In the 1950s, the Sinhalese language was made national or something -drastically reducing job opportunities for minority Tamils. I'm not too sure on these details because it's all a bit confused.

Anyhow, the general statement is that the Tamils launched a peaceful protest against the discrimination around them in the 1950s. The then govt slaughtered them. Various militancies began to develop to fight against the oppressive Sinhalese govt since it acted violently against peaceful protests. The LTTE was one such. It eliminated most other militancies and brought territory in the north and east (where Tamils are predominant) under its control. It's original objective was to provide a peaceful homeland for Tamils so that they can live without constant fear and discrimination.

In 1983, a famous incident occured. Some Sinhalese civilians 'lost control of their emotions' when burying a dozen Sinhalese soldiers who'd lost their lives to the LTTE. In retaliation, a mass attack against Tamils in Colombo (capital city- supposedly safe) began. In a matter of days, 3000+ Tamils were slaughtered. The entire disaster was politically maneouvered. As some of you may know, several countries opened their borders to Tamils at this point, allowing some of them to escape from this doom. This atrociety caused many youths to join the LTTE to get revenge.

Over the past several decades, the LTTE and govt of Sri Lanka have eternally been at war. The govt refuses to grant a separate state, and the LTTE refuses to give up. However, the targets of the LTTE changed over time. Today, they are politically minded and their original role has all but disappeared.

The unfortunate truth is that life is difficult for Tamils when under govt rule. The east of the country was 'liberated' from the LTTE last year. In other words, it is currently under government control. However, killings there are worse than ever. Even worse are the alleged rumours that the govt itself is carrying out these murders.

The war is currently at its peak. The LTTE have lost 90% of their land in the last year to the Sri Lankan army. However, this dramatic victory does not come without losses. The army has suffered losses in the thousands. The sad part is that the govt is censoring the media so no one knows how many soldiers are losing their lives. People cheer for the President- who seems to be winning the war at last. But people don't know how he'd doing it. This President does not care about human lives. He's sacrificing thousands of soldiers to achieve his goal. It is mass murder.

Genuine interest in peace does not seem to exist on either side. That is why I said that I see no future for this country. If the govt wins the war, military insurgencies will still continue to exist. If is results in a stalemate, people will still be dying for nothing. With the opposition party also suddenly supporting the war, and with most of the media censored, there is no hope. The govt does not care about the country. With such leadership, no country can ever prosper. The majority of the population are deluded by the misleading media. I can only obtain the actual news by coming online. TVs/ newspapers spread shitz.
Next year, the economy is expected to deflate completely (again largely hidden from the public). One English paper continues to report the truth. The govt recently announced that that paper must stop reporting on the Defence Minister (President's brother). Next year, I don't expect that paper to even exist. We've got an administration here that is very similar to Zimbabwe's president, who claims there is no cholera endemic in his country while hundreds die.

When I think of such twisted politicians, I just want to scream. The election in the US was so beautiful, compared to these farces.

L Ashton- your're interview was interesting. I'd always wondered why you chose to come here. And you're right- being a foreigner is way easier than being a national. The irony of that!

Darzian
12-15-2008, 09:07 PM
ETA: By the way, everyone's brown. The Burghers are sort of halfway between brown and pink, but everyone else is brown. You can't tell by looking at anyone what ethnicity they are. It's not just me - I've asked this of locals, and they've confirmed it. BUT you CAN tell ethnicity from the names, and there's no mistaking ethnicity there. Even I can tell what ethnicity someone is based on their name.

Ironically, I'm often mistaken as a Sinhalese. It's turned out to be useful at times.

Stew21
12-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Now I want to see your (Stew21's) interview of my interviewer! All these pesky time zones and real life.

He has to get his answers back to me.

I'll post as soon as I get them.

Perks
12-15-2008, 09:13 PM
He has to get his answers back to me.

I'll post as soon as I get them.I know. I'm hassling him, not you. He's probably having that dream right now, the one where you haven't turned your homework in and everyone's looking at you.

jst5150
12-15-2008, 09:14 PM
I know. I'm hassling him, not you. He's probably having that dream right now, the one where you haven't turned your homework in and everyone's looking at you.
I know it well.

Stew21
12-15-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm anxious to see his answers, too. Keep hassling him! :)

aruna
12-15-2008, 09:35 PM
So I ended up answering the same set of questions as two of our deepest members, Aruna and Ganesha. Ganesha's isn't up just yet. All I have to say is, boy do I look shallow next to our dear Aruna. Not that I wouldn't have expected that outcome and it's not a matter of shame for me, only a chance to tell her how wonderful I think she is.

Don't say that, Perks! You have no idea how much I admire you; I think you are wonderful beyond words. We are all wired differently, and bring other qualities to the plate. I loved your interview, and seeing our different interpretations of the same questions.

poetinahat
12-15-2008, 09:46 PM
I got greedy with my interviewees... each of the three is utterly fascinating, and I don't regret asking similar questions. I do regret making anyone feel under the microscope by comparison. I hope, rather, the results will prove illuminating.

I know. I'm hassling him, not you. He's probably having that dream right now, the one where you haven't turned your homework in and everyone's looking at you.
If only. It's 4:45AM... I'm knackered. But I'm done!

Now I'm going to try and not dream for a couple hours... see you all soon.

This is a wonderful project - thank you ever so much, Trish.

alleycat
12-15-2008, 09:56 PM
If I know AW, the next thing will be a series of joke interviews where people pretend to be someone else, or one where everyone intentionally gives nonsensical answers. I'm ready.

Stew21
12-15-2008, 10:10 PM
My interview with Poet is done and up for you to read now, Perks! :)

Great interview, Rob! Thank you.

dclary
12-15-2008, 10:18 PM
If I know AW, the next thing will be a series of joke interviews where people pretend to be someone else, or one where everyone intentionally gives nonsensical answers. I'm ready.

Dclary Interviews BillyThrilly:

You're awesome!
No! You're awesome!
I know, right?
Remember that scene in Top Gun, when they fly around and shoot all those guys and Maverick's like "I'm gonna hit the brakes and they're gonna fly right past us?" And then he does, and they do, and he shoots them too?"
Yeah?
THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!
I know! Right?!?

aruna
12-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Poet's interview was genuinly.... awesome.
What wonderful people we have here at AW.

dclary
12-15-2008, 10:41 PM
The election in the US was so beautiful, compared to these farces.

Something Americans tend to forget as they squabble and bicker, completely unaware that in many parts of the world, disputes are handled with bloodshed, not rhetoric.

You stay safe, Darzian. You've got people from every religion of the world here at AW praying for you, and that's gotta count for something.

Stew21
12-15-2008, 10:43 PM
:head slap:

no one interviewed Mac??

WTF!

;)

Oh, Mac....yoohoo!

you'll be receiving my questions by the end of the day.

Trish, will probably get hello-kittied for the public call-out.

eta: scratch that. We should all get to interview Mac.

Post your one question to Mac in this thread. I'll compile them into a list and post her responses. (if she'll agree to be interviewed.)

jst5150
12-15-2008, 10:49 PM
no one interviewed Mac??
Or Jenna Glatzer?

I sense they were asked but perhaps politely refused.

I'll interview Jenna if no one else has.

Stew21
12-15-2008, 10:52 PM
In the list from the original thread people were listing who they'd asked. I don't know that they were. Good catch. Give it a try, Jason.

Sarita
12-15-2008, 10:57 PM
Both were on my short list, alas...

Our audio should be ready soon. Please excuse our informal style.. and my ridiculous furnace.

Perks
12-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Ahem. From Poetinahat's interview -

When did you first start writing poetry?

I wrote a couple of special-occasion poems in my late twenties. I didn't write poems in earnest until a few years ago.

I dabbled in it here, then got drawn in; poetry is a marvelous art, and AW is a fine community for it.

Ah, um, in the interest of maintaining historical accuracy, who was it that poked you from your hidey-hole and badgered you into the light? It seems, in memory, that it all may have gone down outside the staff entrance to the House of Love, late summer of '05, you'd just been ousted with much joking and good cheer. I think you may have struck up a conversation with someone... almost on the tip of my tongue... someone who said your way with words was so tremendous that you really ought to stretch from special-occasion ditties and jump right in. You said, "I just might." and as the legend has it, remembered that person from time to time as instrumental to your wading into the deep end at AW.

I don't know who it was. I'm sure it'll come to me soon.

Haggis
12-15-2008, 11:27 PM
eta: scratch that. We should all get to interview Mac.

Post your one question to Mac in this thread. I'll compile them into a list and post her responses. (if she'll agree to be interviewed.)

My one question to Mac. In three part harmony.

a. What were you smoking when you agreed to buy AW and all the headaches that go along with running a large website?

b. Can I have some? What you were smoking, I mean. Not the headaches.

c. We all got a kick out of that whole Rolling Thunder as Supermod joke, but it's getting old now. Don't you think it's time to finalize his bannination?

Stew21
12-15-2008, 11:50 PM
My question for Mac:

What's with the coyotes?

Stew21
12-16-2008, 12:02 AM
Fantastic Interview with Clockwork!

jst5150
12-16-2008, 12:06 AM
My question for Mac:
and mine would be ... why do this?

Stew21
12-16-2008, 12:24 AM
DClary is going to attempt to do a one on one interview with Mac. so we'll see how that goes.

Medievalist
12-16-2008, 12:27 AM
Well thank you, but I just had the idea. It was all of you who executed it.

Thanks for doing it!

It was a fabulous idea, superbly done.

Trish is teh AWESOME.

And so's the rest of yous.

Shadow_Ferret
12-16-2008, 12:32 AM
What wonderful people we have here at AW.
Yes, one day I hope to be worthy of just hanging around them all.

mscelina
12-16-2008, 12:54 AM
Hell, all of the interviews have been fascinating.

But mine. *sniff* I'm so boring. And Laurie--I teared up when I read that too.

No, I failed as a subject. It's something I'm apparently pretty damned good at. You were a great interviewer--insightful, thoughtful and intuitive. Those are tools that any great interviewer needs, Ed, and you have them in spades.

smsarber
12-16-2008, 02:05 AM
My one question for Mac is really just a statement: Thanks for taking over this site, and for putting up with writers like me who came here with their claws bared ready to fight. You gave me a chance to learn, and hopefully grow.

KTC
12-16-2008, 02:18 AM
Clock, Clock, Clock. I knew it. What a great interview. Could you, though...maybe lose the accent?

Great work Sara.

(oops...I thought it was perks while listening. Your voices sound alike!)

KTC
12-16-2008, 02:19 AM
"I knew I was good at writing because I was universally terrible at everything else."~~Clockwork

I loved that...you know you shine at something when that light is lit brighter than the rest of your life.

Sarita
12-16-2008, 02:43 AM
(oops...I thought it was perks while listening. Your voices sound alike!)
You should hear Jamie and I on the phone. Both of us talking a mile a minute, edging each other out of the conversation, I'm sure at points, we confused ourselves with who was who ;)

Thanks, Kevin. It was such a blast talking to Chris. I laughed so hard throughout our entire conversation. I can't imagine the degree of editing that Chris put that baby through. :D

KTC
12-16-2008, 02:58 AM
You were so thorough and professional, Sara. I was very impressed with how seriously you took your role. You really researched Chris. And it was a professional and playful interview all at once. Great work.

Perks
12-16-2008, 03:14 AM
You should hear Jamie and I on the phone. Both of us talking a mile a minute, edging each other out of the conversation, I'm sure at points, we confused ourselves with who was who ;)

How very weird! We do sound alike in places.

Great interview, Sara and Chris!

And Chris, Terminator 2: Judgement Day changed my a life, too and set most of us on our path. Don't feel alone.

poetinahat
12-16-2008, 03:35 AM
Yea, verily, it is true. Perks took an out-of-work towel boy, and she dropped him on the Poetry Forum doorstep, where he continues to impersonate a poet to this day.

Aaaaand who deserves the credit?
And who deserves the blame?
Jamie Lee Ivonavich Perkashevsky is her name!

(apologies to Tom Lehrer)

Ahem. From Poetinahat's interview -

Ah, um, in the interest of maintaining historical accuracy, who was it that poked you from your hidey-hole and badgered you into the light? It seems, in memory, that it all may have gone down outside the staff entrance to the House of Love, late summer of '05, you'd just been ousted with much joking and good cheer. I think you may have struck up a conversation with someone... almost on the tip of my tongue... someone who said your way with words was so tremendous that you really ought to stretch from special-occasion ditties and jump right in. You said, "I just might." and as the legend has it, remembered that person from time to time as instrumental to your wading into the deep end at AW.

I don't know who it was. I'm sure it'll come to me soon.

scarletpeaches
12-16-2008, 03:36 AM
Please also note, in a fine example of carrying on the tradition, I credit Rob with feeding my ego enough to make me write more 'peoms'. :D

KTC
12-16-2008, 03:36 AM
I enjoyed your answers, Poet. You're a good egg.

KTC
12-16-2008, 03:37 AM
I also credit Rob for helping me with these newly made wings. He is always super supportive. I learn from his critiques and wisdom.

scarletpeaches
12-16-2008, 03:38 AM
Poetinahat est le bon oeuf.

Or something.

KTC
12-16-2008, 03:40 AM
Poetinahat est le bon oeuf.

Or something.

I'm sure this is wrong too...but closer.

Le počte dans un chapeau est un bon oeuf.

dclary
12-16-2008, 03:40 AM
DClary is going to attempt to do a one on one interview with Mac. so we'll see how that goes.

I haven't heard from her, but on the plus side, I'm still here, so she either hasn't seen the questions yet, or is busy replying to them.

scarletpeaches
12-16-2008, 03:41 AM
I left school sixteen years ago, man! What more do you want, poetry?

Very well.

Roberto is a poet.
He wears a damn fine hat.
He could take you in a fight
and that is that is that.

Sarita
12-16-2008, 03:50 AM
You were so thorough and professional, Sara. I was very impressed with how seriously you took your role. You really researched Chris. And it was a professional and playful interview all at once. Great work.:) I was worried that it was too informal, but that's just how I work. Deal, bitches! :D

Great interview, Sara and Chris!
Thanks, Jamie.

scarletpeaches
12-16-2008, 03:55 AM
I think it would be a good idea for a mod to make an interviews index in one post, to make it easier to find individual ones. :D

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-16-2008, 04:57 AM
I think it would be a good idea for a mod to make an interviews index in one post, to make it easier to find individual ones. :D

SP, baby, that's a MAGNIFICENT idea. Y'all rock. And Trisha's worked so hard on this... I'm gonna put the index together for her. As in... right now.

robeiae
12-16-2008, 05:05 AM
I also credit Rob for helping me with these newly made wings. He is always super supportive. I learn from his critiques and wisdom.
Thank you. I try.

William Haskins
12-16-2008, 05:07 AM
Stew21 interviews Robeiae (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3062524&postcount=2)
thethinker42 interviews ESKIMO1990 and KUWISDELU (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3062529&postcount=3)
Stew21 interviewing William Haskins (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3062576&postcount=4)
Quickwit interviewing Saritams8 (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3062595&postcount=5)
quickWit interviewing cray (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3062600&postcount=6)
Chattering With the Chihuahua--mscelina Interviews Haggis (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3062737&postcount=7)
william haskins interviews jason tudor and lives to tell the tale. (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3062954&postcount=9)
Ray interviews Jay III (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3063013&postcount=10)
Ray interviews Serenity (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3063026&postcount=11)
Ray interviews auntybug (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3063046&postcount=12)
Maternal Instincts--Mary Misenor, alias Soccer Mom (by Celina Summers) (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3063151&postcount=13)
Shadow Ferret (by vixey) (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3063304&postcount=14)
quickWit (by vixey) (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3063309&postcount=15)
Bayou Bill (by vixey) (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3063314&postcount=16)
Jason interviews DClary (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3063409&postcount=17)
Vixey Interview (by Shadow Ferret) (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3063417&postcount=18)
MSCelina Interview (by Shadow Ferret) (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3063422&postcount=19)
Yeshanu Interview (by Shadow Ferret) (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3063426&postcount=20)
Eskimo1990 interviews thethinker42 (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3063649&postcount=21)
Fishing for Facts--A Conversation With Silver King (by Celina Summers) (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3063682&postcount=22)
Yeshanu interviews scarletpeaches (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3063772&postcount=23)
Yeshanu interviews wrightmor (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3063793&postcount=24)
Yeshanu interviews Shady Lane (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3063845&postcount=25)
Yeshanu interviews smsarber (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3063858&postcount=26)
Aruna interviews Laurie Ashton. (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3063975&postcount=27)
Aruna's interview with Maestrowork (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3063977&postcount=28)
IdiotsRUs aka Julia (by HeronW) (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3063987&postcount=29)
Reigningcatsndogs aka Mary (by HeronW) (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3063988&postcount=30)
regdog interviews Darzian (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3063992&postcount=31)
regdog interviews Ken (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3063993&postcount=32)
regdog interviews Susie (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3063994&postcount=33)
Eskimo1990 interviews melaniehoo (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3064053&postcount=34)
Eskimo1990 interviews jannawrites (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3064058&postcount=35)
Eskimo1990 interviews Serenity (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3064069&postcount=36)
Nakhlasmoke, AKA Cat (by IdiotsRUs) (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3064073&postcount=37)
On A Journey - My Interview With Godfather (by kdnxdr) (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3064206&postcount=38)
Interview with RegDog (by Susie) (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3064212&postcount=39)
Interview with Kitrianna (Kit) (by Susie) (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3064219&postcount=40)
OFG's Interview with OFB's Grandmother (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3064293&postcount=41)
OFG's Interview with Her Grandmother (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3064300&postcount=42)
Aruna's Interview with jcomp (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3064340&postcount=43)
Interview with Shelly, a.k.a. Shwebb (by ElaraSophia) (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3064648&postcount=44)
Williebee's Audio Interview with Stew21 (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3064742&postcount=45)
Perks' Audio Interview with Williebee (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3064759&postcount=46)
artist and writer--a view askew--interview with Lostgirl (by DL Hegel) (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3064914&postcount=47)
horror hound trilogy--an interview with Pike (by DL Hegel) (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3064922&postcount=48)
horror hound trilogy--an interview with Callalily61 (by DL Hegel) (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3064941&postcount=49)
horror hound trilogy--an interview with slcboston (by DL Hegel) (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3064953&postcount=50)
From Venezuela I bring you Maxmordon (by Kitrianna) (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3064972&postcount=51)
The beautiful woman who is AW's Tiger Tyrant (by Kitrianna) (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3064985&postcount=52)
Jason interviews ChaosTitan (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3065313&postcount=53)
Jason interviews AW's Server (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3065486&postcount=54)
III’s interview with Norman D Gutter a.k.a. David Todd (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3066460&postcount=55)
Sara's Interview with Alleycat (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3066643&postcount=56)
Sara's Interview with Kimmi (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3066695&postcount=57)
My Interview with Donkey (by kdnxdr) (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3066764&postcount=58)
Magdalen's interview with Meerkat (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3067501&postcount=59)
Swine Before Pearls, Part 1: my interview with aruna (by poetinahat) (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3067520&postcount=60)
Swine Before Pearls, Part 2: my interview with Perks (by poetinahat) (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3067526&postcount=61)
Swine Before Pearls, Part 3: my interview with Ganesha (by poetinahat) (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3067529&postcount=62) COMING SOON
Cranky Interviews SPMiller (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3067730&postcount=63)
Conversation With A Digital Medievalist (by Cranky) (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3067951&postcount=64)
Stew21 interviewing Poetinahat (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3068084&postcount=65)
smsarber interviews euclid (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3068103&postcount=66)
Sara's Audio Interview of Clockwork (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3068414&postcount=67)

William Haskins
12-16-2008, 05:11 AM
SP, baby, that's a MAGNIFICENT idea. Y'all rock. And Trisha's worked so hard on this... I'm gonna put the index together for her. As in... right now.

shit. i was at work on one when you posted this. please check in before you go to all the trouble.

Perks
12-16-2008, 05:13 AM
I reported your post, William, to alert whoever might be around.

Perks
12-16-2008, 05:14 AM
Plus it's just fun to tell on you.

William Haskins
12-16-2008, 05:14 AM

great, i'll get banned again. thanks a lot.

Perks
12-16-2008, 05:15 AM
Because it was my fault the first fourteen times.

robeiae
12-16-2008, 05:15 AM
This is, in general, an excellent rule of thumb.

jst5150
12-16-2008, 05:25 AM
Because it was my fault the first fourteen times.
No. Twelve of those we chalk up to Susie.

KTC
12-16-2008, 05:26 AM
That's brilliant, William. Thank you.

dclary
12-16-2008, 05:28 AM
Better him than me.

;)

Perks
12-16-2008, 05:30 AM
I told on you too, dclary.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-16-2008, 05:32 AM
Thank the gods Haskins thought to send me a PM. :) Thanks, William.

robeiae
12-16-2008, 05:33 AM
That's not even interesting.

dclary
12-16-2008, 05:44 AM

D'oh!

Stew21
12-16-2008, 06:06 AM
Look how much you all accomplish when I'm not around.

Well done, William.

Thanks for the effort, everyone.

Jamie, thanks for the reported post. I've been trying to keep an eye on William. I appreciate the extra set of eyes. But never report Clary to me. I try to avoid him whenever possible.

dclary
12-16-2008, 06:56 AM
She has to say that, lest the awful truth be known....

clockwork
12-16-2008, 07:34 AM
"I knew I was good at writing because I was universally terrible at everything else."~~Clockwork

I loved that...you know you shine at something when that light is lit brighter than the rest of your life.

Yeah, that's what it felt like. Mostly (years later) I realised it was just such a relief that I was passionate and capable of doing something.

But I'm not comfortable with you knowing what I sound like and not vice versa. It feels like some sort of terrible security breach. :)

And Chris, Terminator 2: Judgement Day changed my a life, too and set most of us on our path. Don't feel alone.

Thank God! I didn't see Star Wars until I was 17 and always felt weird about that.

Thanks, Kevin. It was such a blast talking to Chris. I laughed so hard throughout our entire conversation. I can't imagine the degree of editing that Chris put that baby through. :D

I really did very little to it because Sara led the interview so well. I felt very relaxed and that's unusual for me. It probably had something to do with the fact that we talked for another two hours outside of the interview!

It was really a pleasure.

Beach Bunny
12-16-2008, 07:55 AM
Haskins, thanks for making that list. I see that there are a few that I have missed just by scrolling through.

Are all the interviews now posted?

William Haskins
12-16-2008, 08:14 AM
Haskins, thanks for making that list.

it's what i do. spread happiness.

L M Ashton
12-16-2008, 05:12 PM
Problems in Sri Lanka began cropping up after the British granted independence and left in 1948. They handed over power to the majority Sinhalese, who then used it to suppress the minorities. In the 1950s, the Sinhalese language was made national or something -drastically reducing job opportunities for minority Tamils. I'm not too sure on these details because it's all a bit confused.

The language issue I've heard described as the major turning point. It meant that Tamil, spoken by the Tamils and most of the Muslims for a total of around 20+% of the population, could not be used in government or anything official, nor could English. I think it also meant that only Sinhala was taught in the government schools. So yes, massive oppression of those who spoke Tamil only who could suddenly not navigate anything related to government.

Now, Tamil and English are also official languages, but it took a couple or three decades or so for that to happen, and it's too late to undo much of the damage that was done.

The unfortunate truth is that life is difficult for Tamils when under govt rule. The east of the country was 'liberated' from the LTTE last year. In other words, it is currently under government control. However, killings there are worse than ever. Even worse are the alleged rumours that the govt itself is carrying out these murders.

There are other nasty rumours.

There's been a rash of kidnappings of foreigners and other rich people (I say this with some irony because of the assumption here that ALL white people are rich) to extort money. The government and police are suspected to be behind it, no investigations ever progress, and, guess what? The kidnappers always seem to know bank details. Precise details. Amounts of deposits, dates, bank balances, and so on. I know one foreign couple with whom this was attempted but did not work. I know someone else who it was rumoured this was attempted, it did not work, and the man was murdered.

The government is rumoured/believed to be behind pretty much everything here, as far as I know.

People cheer for the President- who seems to be winning the war at last. But people don't know how he'd doing it. This President does not care about human lives. He's sacrificing thousands of soldiers to achieve his goal. It is mass murder.

Some are cheering for him. Others are not. Among the people I know, it's widely accepted that he's a crook, he's corrupt, and he don't give a damn about anyone else but himself and lining his own pockets. Among the people I know, it's widely recognized that all politicians are corrupt, there are no good choices, and they're damned no matter which way they vote. Those who vote try to vote for the less evil, but at the same time, political assassinations occur and body counts on the news during elections are normal here.

The majority of the population are deluded by the misleading media. I can only obtain the actual news by coming online. TVs/ newspapers spread shitz.
Next year, the economy is expected to deflate completely (again largely hidden from the public). One English paper continues to report the truth. The govt recently announced that that paper must stop reporting on the Defence Minister (President's brother). Next year, I don't expect that paper to even exist. We've got an administration here that is very similar to Zimbabwe's president, who claims there is no cholera endemic in his country while hundreds die.

I'm really not so sure that the majority are deluded - I wonder if it's more that they feel powerless and don't have a clue what else to do? Navigating the minefield of gossip, inuendo, accusations, lies, and who knows what can be difficult. Who can really tell what's going on?

Among those whom I know, it's widely known and accepted that what's on the news is not necessarily the truth. Everyone knows that every TV station, newspaper, and so on is owned by a government minister/his son/his nephew/his other assorted relatives. They're all biased for or against one ethnic group or another.

As much as Americans complain about biased reporting, what the Americans have would be celebrated here.

As for censorship, yep. We rely on news from the Internet. And most of the time, when I've heard of something happening here, it's not in any online news sources anywhere. Except for major bomb blasts and the like.

There used to be an independent organization here that monitored the activity on both sides of the conflict, including body count and casualty numbers, but they were kicked out a year or two ago.

When I think of such twisted politicians, I just want to scream. The election in the US was so beautiful, compared to these farces.

Last election, voters from the north were prevented from leaving the Tamil Tiger controlled area and entering the government controlled area to vote due to grenade attacks by the Tamil Tigers. Very few people there were allowed to vote. The rumour is that those voters were strongly favouring one particular presidential candidate and his party - this candidate/party in favour of ending the war, in favour of peace, in favour of settling differences.

Instead, because of the grenade attacks, another president was voted in, a president known to not want to end the war.

L Ashton- your're interview was interesting. I'd always wondered why you chose to come here. And you're right- being a foreigner is way easier than being a national. The irony of that!

Ah, but being a foreigner here is easier only in some respects. In other respects, it's much more difficult.

When I go shopping, I'm charged 3-20x as much as a local would be charged. Government tourist sites included - at 10-20x the local rate. When beggars see me, they flock to me and hang on. They leave locals alone when I'm around.

One example of that. We usually get 3-6 donations requests at our door a week - people in our neighborhood know we don't usually give anything (we give our money through other channels). When my sister and her kids are here, all blonde, we get 6 or more donations requests a day.

At the mall, such as it is, the beggars have been known to block me from getting into the trishaw, have hung on to my clothing, grabbed my arm, pinched me, yelled at me, shoved their arms inside the trishaw, and so on. They don't do this to locals, or not to that extent.

Then there are the stares. Except in my neighborhood where I'm a known quantity, I'm stared at. Constantly. Everywhere I go. Then there are the catcalls,the attempt to chat up, the hitting on me... Because, don't you know, ALL white women are sluts and will sleep with anything anytime. I've heard nasty stories of white women being assaulted, groped, whatever when taking public transportation or just going down the street.

This contributes to me not going out unless I'm with Fahim or another local. Which helps. Tremendously.

People, everyone, want to be my friend. It confers higher status upon them to have a white friend. Plus I can get them into Canada or the US with my super-secret connections. And I can help them learn better English. And I'll be available to loan them money - because I'm RICH - whenever they ask for it. Because, as a white person, I owe it to them. Which leads to the very large problem that the attitude of entitlement has here, but I'm not getting into that now.

There are conflicting attitudes towards whites here. On the one hand, we're ALL rich, so must be respected because we therefore have high status, but on the other hand, we must also be resented for being rich and having everything. Some people give more respect, others give more resentment. But I've been in positions where being white meant that no one, absolutely no one, was willing to do their jobs or give a hand when they would to locals.

Ironically, I'm often mistaken as a Sinhalese. It's turned out to be useful at times.

I can imagine. Oddly, I've been mistaken for Japanese not once, but twice, and Fahim has been quite vehemently mistaken for Italian. :D

Sophia
12-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Fahim has been quite vehemently mistaken for Italian. :D

This happened to me in a pub in London about ten years ago. A man (Italian, himself, I think) said, "Are you Italian?" I thought he was joking, and laughed and said no. I had thought that everyone assumed/knew that brown skin and my type of features in the UK meant an Asian sub-continental heritage. He kept insisting, though. I thought it was really surprising, until it happened again somewhere else. It was my own introduction to how cosmopolitan London is! :)

scarletpeaches
12-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Heh.

I was approached in a club once by a man who said, "Got any Italian in you?"

I answered (truthfully), "Yes."

"Oh," he said, and sloped off.

:roll:

dclary
12-16-2008, 08:40 PM
Heh.

I was approached in a club once by a man who said, "Got any Italian in you?"

I answered (truthfully), "Yes."

"Oh," he said, and sloped off.

:roll:

At the Radio Shack in Sylmar I worked at... all the other employees were Filipino, so when someone came in to the store and asked for "That Chinese guy," the manager pointed him to me.

:|

Perks
12-16-2008, 09:05 PM
This happened to me in a pub in London about ten years ago. A man (Italian, himself, I think) said, "Are you Italian?" I thought he was joking, and laughed and said no. I had thought that everyone assumed/knew that brown skin and my type of features in the UK meant an Asian sub-continental heritage. He kept insisting, though. I thought it was really surprising, until it happened again somewhere else. It was my own introduction to how cosmopolitan London is! :)

That's really funny, because it's happened to me too. I don't think I look in any way Mediterranean. I've got dark hair and brown eyes, but my skin is very, very pale. Some guy in a club was standing on a level above me (the bar was raised on a ramp that circled the room.) He leaned down so that he was basically upside down in my face and said, "Are you Italian?" I said, "No." So he went away. A few seconds later, he did it again. "Not even a little bit?" I said, "Nope." Apparently, he was looking for an Italian, because he didn't have anything else to say to me.

I was also stopped in the shoe department of a department store by a female clerk who wanted to know what country I was from. (I hadn't spoken, so it wasn't an accent issue.) She and her male co-worker were astonished to find out that I was born in Oklahoma.

Ah well.

In a lot of my photos, I look Asian. Even Ray said so. Go figure.

Williebee
12-16-2008, 09:11 PM
psst. Perks is an alien.

I always get mistaken for that white guy.

Which is sad, because I'm that other white guy. The one that isn't rich and famous.

robeiae
12-16-2008, 09:20 PM
At the Radio Shack in Sylmar I worked at... all the other employees were Filipino, so when someone came in to the store and asked for "That Chinese guy," the manager pointed him to me.

:|
The manager was probably thinking about your tendency to turn Japanese...

dclary
12-16-2008, 09:57 PM
The manager was probably thinking about your tendency to turn Japanese...

I TOLD him I couldn't help it during Pan Farr!!!!

dclary
12-16-2008, 09:58 PM
No reply from Mac yet. She's probably on a Christmas vacation or something. Well-deserved.

Darzian
12-16-2008, 10:23 PM
The language issue I've heard described as the major turning point. It meant that Tamil, spoken by the Tamils and most of the Muslims for a total of around 20+% of the population, could not be used in government or anything official, nor could English. I think it also meant that only Sinhala was taught in the government schools. So yes, massive oppression of those who spoke Tamil only who could suddenly not navigate anything related to government.

Now, Tamil and English are also official languages, but it took a couple or three decades or so for that to happen, and it's too late to undo much of the damage that was done.

There are other nasty rumours.

There's been a rash of kidnappings of foreigners and other rich people (I say this with some irony because of the assumption here that ALL white people are rich) to extort money. The government and police are suspected to be behind it, no investigations ever progress, and, guess what? The kidnappers always seem to know bank details. Precise details. Amounts of deposits, dates, bank balances, and so on. I know one foreign couple with whom this was attempted but did not work. I know someone else who it was rumoured this was attempted, it did not work, and the man was murdered.

The government is rumoured/believed to be behind pretty much everything here, as far as I know.

Some are cheering for him. Others are not. Among the people I know, it's widely accepted that he's a crook, he's corrupt, and he don't give a damn about anyone else but himself and lining his own pockets. Among the people I know, it's widely recognized that all politicians are corrupt, there are no good choices, and they're damned no matter which way they vote. Those who vote try to vote for the less evil, but at the same time, political assassinations occur and body counts on the news during elections are normal here.

I'm really not so sure that the majority are deluded - I wonder if it's more that they feel powerless and don't have a clue what else to do? Navigating the minefield of gossip, inuendo, accusations, lies, and who knows what can be difficult. Who can really tell what's going on?

Among those whom I know, it's widely known and accepted that what's on the news is not necessarily the truth. Everyone knows that every TV station, newspaper, and so on is owned by a government minister/his son/his nephew/his other assorted relatives. They're all biased for or against one ethnic group or another.

As much as Americans complain about biased reporting, what the Americans have would be celebrated here.

As for censorship, yep. We rely on news from the Internet. And most of the time, when I've heard of something happening here, it's not in any online news sources anywhere. Except for major bomb blasts and the like.

There used to be an independent organization here that monitored the activity on both sides of the conflict, including body count and casualty numbers, but they were kicked out a year or two ago.

Last election, voters from the north were prevented from leaving the Tamil Tiger controlled area and entering the government controlled area to vote due to grenade attacks by the Tamil Tigers. Very few people there were allowed to vote. The rumour is that those voters were strongly favouring one particular presidential candidate and his party - this candidate/party in favour of ending the war, in favour of peace, in favour of settling differences.

Instead, because of the grenade attacks, another president was voted in, a president known to not want to end the war.

Ah, but being a foreigner here is easier only in some respects. In other respects, it's much more difficult.

When I go shopping, I'm charged 3-20x as much as a local would be charged. Government tourist sites included - at 10-20x the local rate. When beggars see me, they flock to me and hang on. They leave locals alone when I'm around.

One example of that. We usually get 3-6 donations requests at our door a week - people in our neighborhood know we don't usually give anything (we give our money through other channels). When my sister and her kids are here, all blonde, we get 6 or more donations requests a day.

At the mall, such as it is, the beggars have been known to block me from getting into the trishaw, have hung on to my clothing, grabbed my arm, pinched me, yelled at me, shoved their arms inside the trishaw, and so on. They don't do this to locals, or not to that extent.

Then there are the stares. Except in my neighborhood where I'm a known quantity, I'm stared at. Constantly. Everywhere I go. Then there are the catcalls,the attempt to chat up, the hitting on me... Because, don't you know, ALL white women are sluts and will sleep with anything anytime. I've heard nasty stories of white women being assaulted, groped, whatever when taking public transportation or just going down the street.

This contributes to me not going out unless I'm with Fahim or another local. Which helps. Tremendously.

People, everyone, want to be my friend. It confers higher status upon them to have a white friend. Plus I can get them into Canada or the US with my super-secret connections. And I can help them learn better English. And I'll be available to loan them money - because I'm RICH - whenever they ask for it. Because, as a white person, I owe it to them. Which leads to the very large problem that the attitude of entitlement has here, but I'm not getting into that now.

There are conflicting attitudes towards whites here. On the one hand, we're ALL rich, so must be respected because we therefore have high status, but on the other hand, we must also be resented for being rich and having everything. Some people give more respect, others give more resentment. But I've been in positions where being white meant that no one, absolutely no one, was willing to do their jobs or give a hand when they would to locals.

I can imagine. Oddly, I've been mistaken for Japanese not once, but twice, and Fahim has been quite vehemently mistaken for Italian. :D

Yup, I pretty much agree with everything here. When I check some online newspapers, the comments that people leave just seem...misinformed.

The abductions have reduced somewhat when compared to last year. I know a family that experienced it and they confirmed that it was done by the police. The ransom had to paid in Colombo and the kidnappers provided a number to the family. They said, "If you are obstructed by the police for transporting so much cash to Kandy, then show them this number." As stated, they were allowed to pass on to Kandy upon showing the number at any checkpoints. This is pure horror.

The LTTE are the reason for the current war. They prevented voting in the north and east. As a result, the UNP lost the election. If he'd won, then there would definitely have been a peaceful resolution. Everything was destroyed by the outcome of that election.

I'm sorry to hear about the troubles you're having. There's a foreigner lady I know and she too gets harassment from taxi drivers, (who charge obscenely as well).

People, everyone, want to be my friend. It confers higher status upon them to have a white friend. Plus I can get them into Canada or the US with my super-secret connections.

I just never understand the mindset of these people. :Shrug:

A nice joke BTW: A friend of mine arrived from Malaysia last week. He brought his laptop with him. On the way home, it was almost confiscated by a security personnel at a check-point because this personnel could not recognize it as a computer and refused to believe it is a PC. :roll:

Darzian
12-16-2008, 10:25 PM
I'm never voting in this country-ever.

Williebee
12-17-2008, 09:32 PM
Pearls before swine.... hmmmm.

Cool interview folks. Really nice job.

Hey gang, by the way? The interview will come late, because I wanted to wait until she got home, but I GOT DAWNO!!!!!!

Yeshanu
12-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Yay!

dclary
12-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Nice!

I never heard back from Mac with my questions. I guess we'll just have to settle for Dawno. (/said with sad frumpy Eeyore voice)

clockwork
12-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Don't take it personally, Deek. She's not around much at the moment but I'm sure she'll get back to you and if she pops in, we'll remind her you asked.

dclary
12-17-2008, 11:33 PM
Don't take it personally, Deek. She's not around much at the moment but I'm sure she'll get back to you and if she pops in, we'll remind her you asked.

No, no... I figured as much (per my prior comment) -- It's all good! :D

clockwork
12-17-2008, 11:40 PM

Would really like to read that interview.

smsarber
12-18-2008, 05:17 AM
Are we seriously off-track here? Or am I nuts? Wait... don't answer that! But I thought this thread was for discussing the interviews.

dpaterso
12-18-2008, 04:49 PM
Agreed, some posts moved to the ever-popular The Compulsive Thread-Derail Attempt Landfill (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122742) thread.

-Derek

III
12-18-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm still getting caught up on the interviews and purposefully saving some for later, like hiding money under the Monopoly board.

So if I'm understanding the interviews correctly, poets are actually people too. I never would have guessed it.

smsarber
12-18-2008, 06:59 PM
And so are us horror/thriller writer/musicians!
Thanks, Derek, for cleaning this up. I just hated to see such a respectable thing turned into a three ring circus.

dclary
12-18-2008, 09:39 PM
I'm still getting caught up on the interviews and purposefully saving some for later, like hiding money under the Monopoly board.

So if I'm understanding the interviews correctly, poets are actually people too. I never would have guessed it.

yes. Leaky, whiny, expressive people.

jst5150
12-18-2008, 10:07 PM
yes. Leaky, whiny, expressive people.
Who are marksmen with M-16 rifles and have flown F-15 fighters.

Just adding ...

dclary
12-18-2008, 10:25 PM
Who are marksmen with M-16 rifles and have flown F-15 fighters.

Just adding ...

I counted all that under "expressive."

;)

jst5150
12-18-2008, 10:44 PM
I counted all that under "expressive."

;)
You went specific and I went vague. We're the Brian and Stewie stage act of our times.

Back on point now ... ;)

There's a reason why People magazine is the No. 1 seller. Short concise personality features that reveal something you probably don't know about the subject (unless you're a fanatic).

Many of these Q&A's or interviews really captured that. The audio snippets did the same in an NPR sort of way. So, to those of you who really nailed it, congrats. Anything that enriching and entertaining should be commended, esp. given the information fog out there filled with nothing but sheer crap and few lighthouses.

smsarber
12-18-2008, 11:13 PM
So true. We can spend our time posting in these threads, knowing little about each other, only what screen names, avatars, and often short posts give us. It's nice to know the members of AW as people, not just screen names. And it's even better than People, or Time, because we are peers.

Sarita
12-18-2008, 11:16 PM
So true. We can spend our time posting in these threads, knowing little about each other, only what screen names, avatars, and often short posts give us. It's nice to know the members of AW as people, not just screen names. And it's even better than People, or Time, because we are peers.

I would have loved to listen to more interviews, because I think when you're conversing with someone, you tend to speak more about your real self, than when jotting down your answers. It gives you more of a chance to expound and the interview has an opportunity for instant rebuttal questions. I want to see if I can do a couple more audio ones, if Trish isn't opposed to keeping this baby going for a bit longer... :D

dclary
12-19-2008, 02:43 AM
Audio (or live) interviews give you a much better opportunity to ask followup questions, too, because you never know which way a conversation might lead.

Williebee
12-19-2008, 03:04 AM
I'm with Lady Sara.

If folks will allow, I'd like to do a few more of these (audio pieces). I've got a desire to do some more focused, short pieces, on process and motivation, learning moments, success and failure.

Plus I still have Dawno to chat with. :)

Stew21
12-19-2008, 07:35 PM
By all means. Do as many interviews as you'd like. Just keep it updated in your sigline so people know to come back and check and send me a note so I can update the index. :)

dclary
12-30-2008, 02:39 AM
Mac has responded with the old "oh, the power was out in half of new england" ploy... :p

I don't think she wants to be interviewed right now. They're probably still shoveling their way out of the snow.

smsarber
12-30-2008, 04:39 AM
Mac has responded with the old "oh, the power was out in half of new england" ploy... :p

I don't think she wants to be interviewed right now. They're probably still shoveling their way out of the snow.
What a sniveler!

Williebee
01-04-2009, 08:47 AM
OK Folks -- Homecoming festivities and holidays are past, and I just got Dawno's interview. I'll be editing while I'm on the road over the next couple days. Look for it by end of week? She was a blast to chat with.

smsarber
12-11-2009, 08:34 PM
I'm bumping these threads so we can remember how much fun this was last Christmas, and so those who weren't around at that time might stumble onto them.

jeanlee411
05-04-2010, 04:29 AM
You didn't.

*evil grin*
I have a question for SoccerMom, tell me about these donkeys. Are they real donkeys or toy donkeys? (You live on a farm so they could be real, but I think you said your son dropped one on the ground so I'm thinking they are toys.)