Kibble

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
With the children slowly defining their own lives, I've had to somewhat take over what used to be chores for them. Yesterday I surprisingly used the last of the kibble in the feed can to feed the multitude of Great Pyranees dogs who guard the livestock. Today of course the feed store is not open, nor is it tomorrow. What to feed the animals?...Oh yes there are boxes of low carb stuff from a few years ago when my wife thought she might follow that thing. A box of mixes each of Pizza dough, biscuits and pancakes later along with a cup of sugar, flour, cornmeal as well as a little baking soda, salt and baking powder and 3 eggs and the whey from 2 long forgotten gallons of milk later the impending derth of kibble, he got to make the new stuff...mix as a dough and fry in little blobs...

Daughter comes downstairs getting ready to go to work saying, "MMM...I smell pancakes..."

She takes a blob and tastes it (Actually I had already done the same and thought, Not great...but not bad..."

"These are rather boring," she announced while tossing a winter scarf around her neck.

"That's Nina's food, "I said."

"You knowingly let me eat dog food?" she asked.

"Well, I tried it too," I said. "I figured if I thought it was reasonable, then the dogs might like it."

She took another bite, hesitantly, before adding, "If it was worse, I'd have to kill you, but it is only boring so I'll let you go this time."

Meanwhile my youngest son finished the last of the bowl of batter-dough and announced that, "This is the last batch."

"We'll that's rather unceremonious," I quipped.

To which he announced, "Not enough ceremony?...Thus I grant you the power of flight!" and flipped some pancakes over the penninslula into a feeding bucket a few few feet away

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
George, my Labrador is allergic to all commercial dog food so I make his food.

I mix a package of regular (not lean) hamburger with 3 cups of brown rice and 6 cups of water, bring to a boil, turn the heat down and simmer covered for 30 minutes. Then I add a can of drained lentils, stir and pack into a container for him to eat for aprox 4 or 5 days.

For breakfast (or when I run out of his food) he will get cottage cheese and/or sardines canned in oil or a can of tuna (with juice) with a couple of slices of whole wheat bread or oatmeal and a bit of milk.

He's 4 now and has an amazing coat and you've never seen teeth so white.