Politics during the holidays

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
i have a relative over and i gotta say, his political worldview is driving me nuts.

i try to be very civil and diplomatic about things, but i just can't hold my tongue and almost always have to bring my own counter-points to the discussion. let's just say it can be problematic sometimes.

the rest of this weekend, i plan on only discussing the freezing rain outside.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
It got so bad at our gatherings a while back that we've created a list of "topics not to be discussed over the dinner table."

Just tell your relative that he's not going to convince you of the rightness of his views, and you accept that you're not going to convert him to your way of seeing things, so you will refuse to discuss politics with him from that moment forward, in the interests of enjoying his visit and his company. Surely both he and you have other interests that you are more aligned on.

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
forget about it. get him durnk. I got just back from a Chirtsmas party and it's the first time I drank in you gruess, I can't remember, six months or more not counting a few beers every other couple weeks. But hard liquor. S0 all I'm saying is offer hime a few and don't talk about politics - simple as that. Right/?

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
I hate to say this, but hold your tongue. Smile and nod. If he is civil enough not to engage, then show him how those of us on the left can do the same. Talk about baseball. Talk about movie stars. Talk about literature. Talk about puppycam. Don't talk politics.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
Arguing over actors, opera singers, prima ballerinas, athletes, cars, and literature can be as bloody a sport as politics. It's the person you are arguing with not the subject, and in families long time hostilities and resentments can rise during any conversation.

I recall at a family dinner when I was in my early teens my three aunts getting nasty and personal beyond the subject: who was Joan Crawford's third husband?

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
I've had one friendship go sour over politics. I'm not discussing politics with anyone I am very friendly with ever again. I shall also declare the same to said friendly person.

Some people just have to broadcast their opinions around the country.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I always manage to forestall those arguments with the question, "So how about those *insert the butthead's favorite losing team* these days?"

This year, it will be easy. As soon as one of my not-so-smart uncles starts babbling about Obama, I'll go, "So, how 'bout them Vols this year?"

And then I'll be treated to a two hour diatribe abot quarterback suckitude and why they should/shouldn't have fired Phil Fulmer. I'll argue with them, and we'll all be happy.

But I will get to avoid my relatives discussing a topic which, in the grand scheme of things, they know absolutely nothing about save whatever BS their preachers have told them.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sympathy Bravo, I think your best bet would be to just tell your relative you prefer not to have policital discussions and if he continues just keep changing the subject.

My dad and I have polar opposite politcal views and he is probably the only person I'll argue politics with. When it comes to discussing or arguing politics with anyone else I just change the subject.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...and you could always take him to a tittie bar. Arguments take a back seat to the placement of one-dollar bills.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reminds me of the time my mom and her co-workers treated me to the male strip club...

Oh, right, this was about talking politics. Never mind.

Maryn, awash in memories

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
It can be really awkward when your political views differ from your family's.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
part of the problem is that there comes a point where people realize that my political views differ from theirs. liberals and conservatives alike have gotten extremely annoyed with some of my positions.

but really, i try to keep most of my opinions to myself. it's just that every once in awhile someone blames poverty on laziness or wants to impose their own morality on the rest of the world and i just have to say something.

it's my curse.

Last edited:

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
part of the problem is that there comes a point where people realize that my political views differ from almost everyone. liberals and conservatives alike have gotten extremely annoyed with some of my positions.
unique views of the universe
It can be really awkward when your political views differ from your family's.
Like being the only (D) in an all (R) family. Not fun.

Just tell your relation, 'Don't make the baby Jesus cry on His birthday.'
and smile a lot.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
part of the problem is that there comes a point where people realize that my political views differ from almost everyone. liberals and conservatives alike have gotten extremely annoyed with some of my positions.

but really, i try to keep most of my opinions to myself. it's just that every once in awhile someone blames poverty on laziness or wants to impose their own morality on the rest of the world and i just have to say something.

it's my curse.

That's not a curse, Bravo. That's the responsibility you bear as an intellectual being. You should never have to apologize for that...nor should you dread it. You're a smart man with well-reasoned opinions. If your family can't respect that, then I'd say that's their problem really.

You should never feel like you have to keep your opinions to yourself. I understand your problem and I share it. When my older brother came out, I was the one who was ostracized because I knew and didn't condemn him for it. That was the moment that I realized that as long as I actually thought about such things, that as long as I actually cared about such things it was sort of an obligation to speak up when someone else--even someone I love-spoke out of ignorance or hatred.

I hate it for you that this situation hurts you so, because anyone can see that it does and understand why it would. Just remember, dear, it's the people like you who care enough to speak up that ultimately affect change in this world of ours. Your family may never understand that. You need to.

*and then you need to learn to agree with me because I am always right*

;)

You'll do just fine.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
I'm fortunate enough to have a decent sense of when to hold my tongue and when not to. My particular combination of politics and religious nonbelief is unique in my family. Some of them can tolerate it; others can't. Get a good sense for those in the latter group and change the subject whenever one of the restricted topics comes up.

2old2pb

This Is Serious Mum!
Registered
Reaction score
There is no real reason to talk if there is not an ear to hear unless you just like hearing yourself talk. I have no use for oration during a party. Just someone doing it says that their opinion is more important than yours. This is the one reason I avoided command Christmas parties like the plague. Inevitably the CO, XO and CMC get up and spew their garbage opinions to a captive audience. Peace and goodwill to men.

Fraulein

Spooks? Where are you?...
Registered
Reaction score
If I were to tell you, then that would be cheating
part of the problem is that there comes a point where people realize that my political views differ from theirs. liberals and conservatives alike have gotten extremely annoyed with some of my positions.

it's my curse.
I highly recommend combating 'ignorant' arguments with an exception to the 'rule'. Here's an example:
Family member (Fm): "Poor people are just lazy. If they would just get up off of the butts, then they could make a decent living, and I wouldn't have to pay for their welfare."
Bravo: "I guess we don't needs janitors then. They must be too busy cleaning up other people's messes to go out and find a real job."
Fm: "Well, I wasn't talking about janitors. I was talking about LAZY, poor people."
Bravo: "Rich people don't smoke cigars and drink scotch on Saturday afternoons. They're too busy working."
Fm: "I was talking about LAZY, POOR people. Who said anything about lazy, rich people?"
Bravo: "You mean like Wal-mart cashiers? They stand up all day long, and they don't get paid very well."
Fm: "You don't get what I'm trying to say."
Bravo: "I guess not. How's Aunt Susie's fruitcake this year?"

Watcha think?

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
unique views of the universe

Like being the only (D) in an all (R) family. Not fun.

Just tell your relation, 'Don't make the baby Jesus cry on His birthday.'
and smile a lot.

I've been R in a D family. No fun either. Being the outsider never is, I think. Maybe you and I are each other's changelings.

Last edited: