They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
go for a pee?

Is there some special arrangement of buckles and straps? A gap? Sorry, I've looked at loads of chainmail trousers( or whatever you call them) in museums and you don't see under the tunic normally. I've never checked if there was a gap or something for calls of nature. Or do they have to divest themselves?

Anyone?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Real men hold it till their kidneys hydronephros :D

yeah, I got nothing

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
This is a good question, one I've wondered about for various types of armor.

I imagine the answer is that most warriors wouldn't wear it if battle weren't going to happen soon. See, for example, the Viking defeat in 1066 Britain.

DisenchantedDoc

Give me believable dialogue
Registered
Reaction score
maybe they move their cod-piece to the side to take a leak...

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
This is a good question, one I've wondered about for various types of armor.

I know in battle they just used to er 'go with the flow' *cough* but when not in battle? I mean it's not right in polite company is it?

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
I was always under the impression that each leg was buckled on separately, and the codpiece was a separate piece, which could presumably be removed.

Note: this was also true of normal "pants." Which is why we call them "pants" rather than "a pant." I don't know when or through what genius one piece pants were introduced.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
I believe the ass part is also separate. Perhaps even in skirt form. You might also be wearing 'drawers.'

I know that the thing we know and love as a 'codpiece' came about to avoid accidental exposure if the tunic crept up. I can only assume there was a similar resort for the ass.

Mr Flibble

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I was always under the impression that each leg was buckled on separately, and the codpiece was a separate piece, which could presumably be removed.

Kind of like chaps? So either a pee or a quick assignation with the kitchen maid wouldn't require major unbuckling or anything? Good to know. Thanks.

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
go for a pee?

Is there some special arrangement of buckles and straps? A gap? Sorry, I've looked at loads of chainmail trousers( or whatever you call them) in museums and you don't see under the tunic normally. I've never checked if there was a gap or something for calls of nature. Or do they have to divest themselves?

Anyone?
They're called chausses. They're like modern day female stockings, not pantyhose. They're held up with a leather strap that loops around a belt.

Braies is the layer of clothing worn next to the skin. Basically they're drawers or medieval underwear. They are slit up the inside of the leg so that the material can be comfortable folded and positioned under all the other layers and allow one to pee without getting undressed. :)

Here's a good article on getting dressed in armor in 1250 CE. http://web.archive.org/web/20041014084842/http:/www.bumply.com/Medieval/Kit/kit.htm

If you want more information on mail (it's called mail, not chainmail) or armour construction in general, here is a page of resource links. http://moas.atlantia.sca.org/wsnlinks/index.php?action=displaycat&catid=155

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When asked, Sir Knight relied, "Depends!"

Another area where I’m absolute inexpert, yet entirely vocal (as are others when guessing about guns and ammunition):

Back in medieval times, the product was known as Ye Olde Depend, Ltd., royal under-mail-wear for the embattled male.

Depend.jpg
Not Just for Incontinence!

Today, the tradition goes on: No longer for protracted battle, Depend are unseen at overtime football games, long walks on the beach with that certain someone, double feature movies, coed spaceflights, the protection goes on.

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
After much searching through a couple of my books on the crusades I found just such an incident related by the Norman minstrel Ambrose, as translated by Harold Lamb in his book The Crusades: The Flame of Islam.

This incident occurred during the siege of Acre, in the year 1190.

Another time, it happened that a knight was down in the fosse, outside, on an affair of his own that no one can do without. As he placed himself so, a Turk in one of the outposts -- to which he was paying no attention -- separated from his campanions and raced his horse forward. It was villainous and discourteous to seek to surprise the knight while he was so occupied.

The Turk was already far from his own people, and was approaching the knight with lance in rest to slay him, when our men shouted,

"Run, sir -- run, run!"

He had barely time to get up. The Turk came up at a full gallop, believing that he would be able to turn his horse and wheel back, if he needed to do so, but by God's grace, he did not succeed. The knight cast himself to one side, and took up two stones in his hands -- listen to how God takes vengeance! As the Turk checked his horse to turn back upon him, the knight saw him clearly, and as he drew near, struck him with one of the stones upon the temple. The Turk fell dead, and the knight took his horse and led it off by the rein.

He who told me this saw the knight mount the horse and ride him off to his tent, where he kept him with much joy...