What do you think this means, if anything....

OpheliaRevived

Real Men Have Gills
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I recently e-queried an agent, and neglected to send the five chapters that were part of their submission guidelines.... (duh) The next day, she emailed me asking for the chapters! Do you think this denotes a good amount of interest given the query alone? She's a very respected agent and part of a reputable firm.

Honestly, given that I failed to meet the stated guidelines, I'm stunned she didn't just throw my query on the pile!

What do you think?

Danthia

If she didn't like the query she wouldn't have asked for the chapters. People make mistakes all the time, so forgetting to attach chapters isn't a big deal. They're not that do or die with guidelines as long as what you submit is professional. Now, had you written your query is 24 point script, you probably wouldn't have had a request for those pages :) Those are the kinds of mistakes that'll hurt you. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Good luck on this nibble!

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
What Danthia said.

OpheliaRevived

Real Men Have Gills
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The first five pages of the book are concise: a prologe and the first chapter. The last page of both aren't even full pages. Should I send a follow up email offering more pages based on this or will that annoy the agent?

alias octavia

smooshed
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't...

...contact the agent.

You sent the requested pages. Now is the time to have patience. If the agent is interested you will get a request for more of the manuscript. Sending another email might come off as pushy. That is how I would play it.

I notice you are in NE Ohio and a newbie like me. Welcome!

Danthia

A page is a page, even if it has one line on it :) Send the five chapters she asked for, then just sit back and wait, and try not to drive yourself crazy. I know that's hard though!