Arrow to the arm

Mellanah

Registered
Reaction score
I'm wanting to have my female character take an arrow to the upper arm. What would logically happen? She is thin but has well-tone muscles. So would the arrow lodge in her bone, go through the muscle, or something else? I want an injury where the arrow has to be removed but the wound isn't terribly dangerous. What would be most realistic?

Also, while I know the archer is using a drawn bow, I'm not sure which type of arrowhead would be most likely. They were intending the kill the person the female character steps in front of. Not sure if broadhead or barbed would be most likely.

Thanks!

petec

Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
This thread may help

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106990

An arrow has huge kinetic energy so almost certainly the bone would be shattered

this may help as well

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=2404953

more importantly

WELCOME to AW

MSN-Emoticon-156.gif

Last edited:

Barb D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bqdell.blogspot.com
I just went through the same issue with one of my characters, and decided to make it a flesh wound instead of having the arrow imbedded. I also had him fall and hit his head on a rock. I need him to lose some blood and be out for a little while, but then be able to carry on.

Mellanah

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome!

Any idea how much of the bone might be shattered? I really want them to have to pull all or part of the arrow out of her arm, even if it's only the arrowhead. She has an iron allergy, and I wanted an iron arrowhead to be in her longer than just in passing but without creating a really bad wound. This is a fantasy-type novel, so the healer would be able to put the shattered bone back together. He just can't heal where the iron has been directly.

Alternatively, could someone purposely design an arrowhead that would come loose and get stuck or shatter on impact? Really not sure of the possible mechanics of that one. lol

Thanks!

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
well, if you made your arrowhead out of bone, It could concievably pierce skin and muscle, then shatter when it hits bone.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
You don't "pull" arrows out that are imbedded in a person's body. Pulling them out causes more damage because of the flared shape of the arrow head - the wider tail shreds the tissue on the way out.

Ideally, the arrow would be surgically removed, but that's not possible for you. You remove an arrow by breaking off the tail feathers and pushing it the rest of the way through. An injury to the upper arm would most likely cut - or at least knick - the brachial artery. Once the arrow is removed, this would cause the injured party to bleed out in seconds unless the wound is cauterized.

If the design of the arrow is hooked (on the head) so that the flared part hangs on (a desgn meant to cause as much damage as possible), it could also be designed so that the flared pieces break off when the shaft is pressed through to the other side so that all they'd remove would be the stick part.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, it all depends on the head being used. If its an articulator (cut radius of 1.25 to 3 inch) she is going to suffer severe injury. If its a broad head, its still better bad. Several years ago an bow hunter fell on just a broad head and bleed to death from a leg wound before he got out of the woods.

Now a "field point" thats something different. You can survive and the damage would be mimimal IF it just goes through the tissue and misses bone. Virtually any of the modern compound bows draws at 50 to 80 pounds and will shatter a bone.

BTW - a field point has no cutting blades. It is also know as a practice point.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Those are commercial grade arrows; I got the impression this was more of a fantasy type situation. (could very well be wrong, though)

Mellanah

Registered
Reaction score
It is a fantasy-type situation. So far, it looks like my best bet is to have the arrow go through the flesh on the outer arm. I'll have to figure out another way to temporarily incapacitate her, I guess. :(

Willowmound

Lightly salted
Registered
Reaction score
Your biggest worry in being shot medieval-style with an arrow, is infection.

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
And obviously, shattering the bone would have a lot to do with the distance from the archer, the type of bow, and the type of arrow. For instance, the Chinese had an arrow-thrower whose main purpose was to propel an arrow only hard enough to pierce the skin; the arrow-tip was coated with nastiness.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I really want them to have to pull all or part of the arrow out of her arm, even if it's only the arrowhead. She has an iron allergy, and I wanted an iron arrowhead to be in her longer than just in passing but without creating a really bad wound.

I rant about non-experts guessing answers, and in this case I was only a long-bow hobby archer as a kid, so I apologize up front.

But when I used steel broadheads mounted on wood shafts, my arrows often broke after hitting rocks or carooming off two or three branches in trees. At least twice, the broadheads stuck in an object such as a post and a tree after ricocheting .

I'm asking expert archers if such a broken arrow wounding might happen to your protagonist. If so, she could get an iron broadhead on a broken shaft embedded in her arm without it having to strike bone.

Just supposin'.

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
Was she wearing some kind of armor? Although arrows are notorious for penetrating armor, the felt under mail or silk armor could stop the arrow with the head just having penetrated. Then if she fell on the arrow, breaking off the shaft, you've got the situation you're looking for.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
Give the arrow a bodkin point. This is a sharp, needle nosed point without barbs, meant to pierce mail.

It goes into the upper arm THROUGH the mail shirt. The mail absorbs much of the impact velocity, it does not hit the bone, lodging in the muscle.

The arrow shaft may be broken off, leaving the point (and some shaft) in the wound. This would be a very nasty wound, causing severe infection - but she could 'carry on' for a while. Its basically a big puncture wound. (Much like the arrow in the x-ray to the boys head in the post above.)

Alternately, press the point TROUGH the arm, cut the shaft at the entrance wound, and pull it through.

I've seen through and through wounds to the upper arm, and they were treated in the emergency room with stitches.

eLfwriter

Indiscriminate Tree-Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, yep. Arrow has to be pulled through. Wound preferably stitched up. Interesting fact if you're using a fantasy setting -- honey slathered over the wound will help prevent infection. The Egyptians and Romans swore by honey, or so I've read.

I prefer honey in my tea, personally. ;)

Hey, I have actual real experience with this!

Well, not ME, but one of the boy's in archery class decided that it would be 'cool' if he could pull back his arrow so far on his longbow that the tip rested on the back of the handle. He managed it. Long story short, he also couldn't hold back the string against the tension. I found out that arrows do funny things when loosed into the handle of the bow that is doing the loosing!

... He's okay now, we took him to the emergency room. BUT there was a lot of splintering and a lot of blood.

Moral of the story -- don't fool around with a longbow. It will bite back.

Mellanah

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks very much for all your input! I would have picked something lame and implausible otherwise. :)

I decided to go with having the arrow pass through the fleshy part of her arm and incapacitated her in another way. This leads me to another question, though: after the wound is stitched up, how long would it feasibly take to heal? It was moderately deep, going close to the bone, and would have damaged her muscles. So how long until she could use her arm in daily tasks, and how long until she could draw a bow?

Elven_Fforestydd

All the World's a Stage
Registered
Reaction score
She has an iron allergy, and I wanted an iron arrowhead to be in her longer than just in passing but without creating a really bad wound.

Thanks!

I don't know if you still need help on this but I just found this post. The Welsh used a tip on their arrows that weren't fully connected to the shaft. This being when the arrow was removed the tip stayed in. At least thats what the Welsh archer told me. :0

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
A small woman hit by an arrow in the humerus may lose her arm. The arrow would carry enough energy to break the bone and possible continue through the arm, leaving only some muscle to hold the arm to the rest of the body.
If you want this character to return to action, I'd have the arrow pass through the bicep. Then they could break the arrow and pull it out from both ends.