PDA

View Full Version : Private Art Lessons

RunawayScribe
12-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Say a college grad with an art degree teaches private art lessons out of his or her home. Not a famous artist by any means, but a good local one with good things to teach. What's a general hourly rate for a lesson? Anyone have an idea?

Grazie,
Runaway

Mellanah
12-12-2008, 01:10 PM
I'm not an expert on this, but I've recently been looking for a watercolor painting class. One person was charging $200 for 8 classes and another $160 for 6 classes. You might want to look at little art schools in your area and see what you get, since I'm sure prices vary.

BellaRush
12-14-2008, 03:03 AM
I'm self-taught, not a college grad, but reasonably well-known in my own circle I suppose as an artist, and I charge $45/hr for private lessons. I know people who charge more, and people who charge less. How's that for a wide-open answer? :)

JamieFord
12-14-2008, 06:42 AM
I'm an art school grad. I've never given private lessons, but others I know charge anywhere from $35-85/hour. When I was a creative director in Honolulu, my hourly rate was $225/hour, so experience and location can probably vary the cost wildly. Now I give talks at high schools for $0... :)