The Going Skiing Thread!

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! Going skiing? Just gone skiing? Thinking about skiing? Dreaming of first tracks and powder days and no lift lines? Need to play hooky from work to hit the slopes? Got a really good ski story? Come on in, hot cocoa is on the house! If you're old enough, you may find your cocoa spiked with a little something to warm you up!

I'm going up to Bear Mountain, CA on Saturday, my first ski day of the year! It's actually a training clinic for returning volunteers at the adaptive ski school I volunteer with (USARC). There's not much snow because it's early season in SoCal, but there's a little bit, and dang it, I will ski on it. I'm waxing the skis and dusting off the parkas tonight! I'm really excited because this year I'm much better shape and I've lost 15 pounds since last winter, so I should have an easier time of it.

What about you?

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wishing I could go cross-country
but will probably end up water skiing - 2" of rain. :(

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I've never been skiing in my life, but in early January I'll be taking three friends skiing for their first time ever. Our local ski resort also offers an adaptive skiing program and these daredevils ladies can't wait to get out of their wheelchairs and onto the slopes.

We'll be ready for some hot chocolate. I take mine spiked, please.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
And Kitty? I was inspired to go researching a local adaptive ski program after reading a thread you started on you and a friend's exploits on the slopes. You posted such a fabulous picture that I went right out and started looking.

Thanks!

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to Beaver Creek, CO just after Christmas. My kids are looking forward to snowboarding and skiing. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to give it another try. I don't love it so much.

But I do have a nice ski jacket. So that's something.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I've never been skiing in my life, but in early January I'll be taking three friends skiing for their first time ever. Our local ski resort also offers an adaptive skiing program and these daredevils ladies can't wait to get out of their wheelchairs and onto the slopes.

We'll be ready for some hot chocolate. I take mine spiked, please.

That's awesome!

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yay!

And Kitty? I was inspired to go researching a local adaptive ski program after reading a thread you started on you and a friend's exploits on the slopes. You posted such a fabulous picture that I went right out and started looking.

Thanks!

Awesome! Warm fuzzy feelings: I have them. I'm really big on spreading the word about adaptive skiing, so it's always nice to hear that more folks are trying the sport. Here's the thread she mentioned if anyone wants to gaze upon my radiant countenance (you can also see the essential hot cocoa in the photo) and read about my adaptive skiing exploits. And here are a couple of posts on my rarely updated blog, all about adaptive skiing: Part 1: About Adaptive and Part 2: How do you ski?

Last edited:

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I've never been skiing in my life, but in early January I'll be taking three friends skiing for their first time ever.

Haze,

I highly recommend getting a 'group instructor'. It's not terribly expensive, but it will help TONS. You'll be skiing in no time, learning the correct way instead of bumbling through the 'sink or swim' method. It's a good idea to get some instruction every couple years at least to improve your skiing. Even expert skiers get instruction from time to time, so there is absolutely no negative stigma attached.

Plus, you go straight to the front of all lift lines. . .worth every penny! Have a blast, I know you'll love it.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Through the wind and the chill and the rain, and the storm and the flood...

Skiing was awesome this weekend! Despite the wind and the fog and the rain, it's still loads of fun to go sliding down an icy mountainside strapped to two long planks. Between the terrible visibility and the wind, the folks I was training with moaned and whined enough that they sent us all inside before lunch. (Normally I will be the one skiing in bad weather until they close the chairlifts due to whiteout conditions or high winds, and then when they close I will be the one standing at the bottom of the hill trying to persuade the lifty to let me get one more ride! It works sometimes :D) Anyway, snow good, rain bad. It's dumping snow in the mountains pretty much everywhere right now.
:snoopy: Yay! Happy skiing!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never gone skiing. I have this horrifying fear that I'll impale myself on a tree branch and not be found until spring thaw.

Oww.

I used to love skiing but now I can't stand when my feet get cold. Dumb reason to give it up, I know but I can't find anything to keep my feet warm enough.