Micro Awards Bias

Status
Not open for further replies.

TopsideofBeef

Registered
Reaction score
When Robert Laughlin who runs Micro Awards states that "I had initially considered asking that story submissions be typed with the names of authors and publications in the cover letter only; I was worried that only a blind taste test could avoid judicial bias in favor of “name” authors and publications. In the end, I decided to trust the objectivity of my judges ..." then you have to wonder. I mean, isn't it obvious that the judges will award the prize to somebody they know and who has a high standing in the micro fiction genre (like Bruce Holland Rogers)? If this contest is going to be fair and unbiased, then the entries must be judged blindly. I can see no other way to make this fair. Robert Laughlin's statement that he trusted the objectivity of his judges (they had the names of the authors on the submissions) and then someone like Rogers wins, makes a mockery of the whole thing. Forgone conclusion. Sheesh! The whole thing is a joke. Robert if you're reading this, the Micro Award means nothing unless you have those submissions judged fairly - that means doing it blindly

Last edited:

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Even when judged blindly, some judges are influenced by character's environment. For example: If two of the judges work in a university environment and the story is a cliche about a professor and a student having an affair, all other stories go right into the rejection pile no matter how good they are. The third non-university-employee judge has no recourse.

Status
Not open for further replies.