Multicultural writing thread, ask or share info

Status
Not open for further replies.

mythicagirl

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new here and I write for a primarily multicultural audience. I enjoy pairing diverse characters together in my YA, Sci-fi, paranormal and contemporary stories. Many books usually have a protagonist or characters of one nationality, ethnic group or race (which is fine, I enjoy and can appreciate authors who chose to do this), but because I come from a multicultural background I find my writing naturally gravitates to including a variety of characters. I also enjoy history, and tend to place my protagonist in say, the French Revolution. If there are others who enjoy diversity in their books or would like to share info (I am writing a book about a YA slave who is taken to Japan during the Meiji period and chooses to fight to stay there - timeperiod is 1860's) I would appreciate it.

Thanks...

Last edited:

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
You know, I've been thinking about this since you posted your welcome thread.

When I write I never think about my character's race. Their personalities which cut across racial boundaries. A goofball is a goofball regardless of whether they are white, black, red, or purple with pink spots. A jerk is a jerk.

However, the culture they live in and their status in that culture is important. Status may be based on race. So, how they act may be a function of their race.

And someone mentioned the ghettozation (sp?) of these kinds of novels, and yet I can see how putting them together would be beneficial. Several months ago, I was in the bookstore looking for a romance novel. There was a black woman also looking. We started talking. It turns out we shared a love of a particular author, so I recommended a book to her. But, the thought popped into my head "Will she be able to relate to this story, her life experience is so different from mine?" But, I didn't ask.

Then again, I have read historical novels that were set in vastly different cultures than my own and learned a lot about those cultures from reading those books. They were shelved with all the other novels and not separated out. My bookstore does have a separate section for African-American stories and I will admit to walking by without looking at them. The same way I walk past the Christian fiction, the horror, and the children's fiction. Which begs the question: "Should they be separated out or not?" :Shrug:

mythicagirl

Registered
Reaction score
Which begs the question: "Should they be separated out or not?" :Shrug:

Hello,

I would rather they not be separated. It seems to imply that the books only contain information that one group would be interested in, hence the African American sections I see in some bookstores. As I stated in another post, the bookstore's reason for this was to make it easier to find (I was told) however, no matter the genre, if the writer was AA, then that's where their book went. But what if the writer's protagonist wasn't AA and only the author was? Still, the book goes into the AA section for easier access. Some of my favorite books don't contain multicultural characters, but the writing is so good that a shared experience, say of love, loss or betrayal still made me identify with them. My goal as I write, is that my character will appeal to the reader and cross over. If readers can fall for a vampire named Edward or Lestat, why not a boy from the Sudan? or China? or inner city USA.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
There are tons of African American authors and stories with black protagonists shelved everywhere else in the bookstore. That section is for the ones that focus primarily on the African American experience, or are written with that audience in mind--not just books that happen to have African American characters/authors. The same way that there are many books with Christian characters and Christian authors that aren't necessarily shelved in the Christian section, if that is not their primary audience.

I'm with Beach Bunny--I really don't think about my character's race. It doesn't tend to be important to my stories. Once in a while, if it is, I'll mention it. Sometimes it will be important for background or characterization. But for the most part, my main characters could be white, black, red, or yellow, and I wouldn't know it.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Shelving of AA romance novels is quite the controversy in the romance writing world. Most AA romance authors seem to want their books to be shelved in the romance section. It makes sense. Romance readers go looking for new books in the romance section, not the AA section.

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
EDITED to add: crossposted with the two above. I type so slow.

I can see your point.

I wonder if being able to find stories with non-white protagonists is more of a concern in some genres than others. I know that at least ten years ago, maybe more than that, that it was a complaint about the Romance genre. Most of the protagonists were WASPs. The covers of the books had primarily pictures of a white couple. Today, there is a huge subsection of Romance with African American protagonists and they are shelved separately.

I don't see that as much with fantasy or mainstream literature. And come to think of it, I believe the African-American section in the bookstore is only put up during Black history month.

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
Indeed Mythicagirl!

I like to write about multicultural characters in my works as well. I find that many readers don't really see their culture or group depicted in current works, especially that of paranormals and current speculative works. As a reader I'm always on the lookout for works like this myself as I love reading various cultures' mythology and history. I didn't see very much it on the market which inspired me to write some of my own.

I'm currently working on a series with an African Aziza fairy steeped in Benin/Dahomey lore and also a Scottish vampire who lived in the Highlands. Sounds weird but it turned out quite fun!

Your YA novel sounds really interesting. I studied the Meiji history in my Japanese history class and I learned a lot. That'd be a great book for YA readers, I think! :)

Oops, just saw Beach Bunny's post. I concur! There's still talk about that in some parts of the romance community that wishes to see more Interracial Romances released from publishers. There's a few authors out there writing it but many are getting turned down by big presses.

Last edited:

mythicagirl

Registered
Reaction score
Indeed Mythicagirl!

I'm currently working on a series with an African Aziza fairy steeped in Benin/Dahomey lore and also a Scottish vampire who lived in the Highlands. Sounds weird but it turned out quite fun!

Cool! I've paired a Italian vampyre with an Aboriginal lycan for a story. Does your vamp say things like "I doona" and "lassie?" and how much of an accent do you give him, because I've been reading some blogs where the accent of a character can put readers off. I've just gotten into a writer named Kresley Cole (I read both her Scottish werewolf novels HOT! HOT! is all I can say) I loved the book Hunger like no other and her Scottish lead.

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
Oh! That does sound cool. I'd definitely read that story.

I tried not to use too much of the brogue but sprinkled a little Scots dialogue for his flashbacks and hopefully a line or two of Scots Gaelic for certain purposes (if I can manage since my editor studied the language). Most of the book takes place in contemporary times though.

It's funny you should say that. I read that as well and just the other day they were talking about that very thing in the Amazon readers forums. Most readers didn't mind and to some others it grated. I guess it depends on how much use it is in there. Sometimes it can be a bit of a dilemma! But I think a generous helping to give it a little flavor works well. I notice when I'm reading a character who has an accent, sometimes it just pops up in my head without the dialogue sounding 'accent-y'.

Anyone else with this problem (out there in writer land)??

And ooh Kresley Cole! That book just made it to my TBR pile and I've been waiting to get to it. I heard it was really good and she does well with his accent there. I'm definitely looking forward to reading that. Very strange, though. That's the second time I heard mention of the book and author in the space of a day. Ooh...tis a sign. ;)

*ponders moving it up*

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
My stories tend to be multi-cultural. I don't go out of my way to write that way, but the world I live in influences what I write. That includes stories where there's a single race or nationality, because people don't form a single culture within that. There's always some form of sub-culture floating around (unless it's a dystopian future where the state enforces the one true culture).

Which begs the question: "Should they be separated out or not?" :Shrug:

Of the novel length works I have to date, each one would be in a separate cultural section if that happened. Book separation is supposed to make it easier for readers, not harder.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
The project I'm working on now is definitely multicultural -- the lead character, who is a mixed-race American, is brought into contact with others across the world who share her powers. I've been trying to research locations that would be less obvious, more random, and therefore maybe more realistic than having everyone pop up in a world capital. (One person is in a major city, though.) It's very daunting, and I worry about doing justice to some of these places; I could never hope to personally travel to them all (and a couple locations I would not want to visit). However, I'd rather try and get it wrong than pretend that everybody who has this special power is magically a white American, with only a token black or Asian face here and there.

The heroine's mixed-race heritage is not that important in the plot, but it's important for her character, because in some ways it is a preview of the kind of dichotomy/tension that develops in her life after the discovery of her powers. I would definitely think of this as a mainstream work. I hope publishers will agree!

Elidibus

Over 9000!!!!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
No. I can't come out to play. My muse won't let me
I actually try to be as diverse as possible, since I'm a minority myself. I don't know off the top of my head of any Hispanic protagonists, much less seeing them doing anything but janitorial stuff at schools and offices.

I try and include a broad range of characters. I realize that a lot of writers write about Caucasian individuals, but...I dunno. When I look at something and see a lot of people are doing it, I always try and do the opposite. Vampire books? Won't write one. Women as attractive as they are smart? Not for me. Just something that's ingrained in me I guess.

In the book i just finished, however, I didn't pay as close attention. Yea, I have a few minor characters, but race isn't as important as what the people are (Angel, Demon, Disciple, Fallen Angel)

But in the story I'll be starting in a few days, I'm making my MC is Asian, while the two supporting MC's will be of African descent. For no real reason, other than to be different. It serves no real purpose save for the setting will be somewhere in that region as soon I find some kind of political turmoil down there. I need a country that faces the threat of Invasion. Of course, I could do the Syrian thingie I heard on a random Youtube Video. Syria and...Lebanon? I dunno

I'll figure something out. Sorry for my train of thought writing there =-)

mythicagirl

Registered
Reaction score
This is so great, I want to thank everyone who responded, and also those who choose to respond later on.

I find that research takes up a major portion of my time whenever I write a story or start a novel, especially since I like to place my protagonists in historical settings. But even after all that work, it feels worth it, because I want to be as authentic as possible. I generally don't get into great detail describing my characters, only leaving hints as the story progresses. But I notice in romance novels as opposed to urban fantasy, the protagonist is described in much detail, and in mouth watering terms...
I tend to go for more grittiness, but I do enjoy writing and reading romance novels.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
I'm curious, where on the shelves would you find Khaled Hosseini or Amy Tan, both huge bestsellers? I'm not very familiar with the American bookstore shelving system (though I'm becoming increasingly familiar with libraries!)

I do think there's a market for books that explore different cultures, and I think we're only just seeing the beginning of these kinds of books. Especially now with Obama on the way to his Presidency, I think we might see characters in books who're half-one culture, half-another.

I'm an Indian in a relationship with a Brit, living in America (and have lived in Ghana). I don't belong to any one culture, yet feel like I belong to all in some ways. I think that's going to be reflected through my characters as well.

However, I think you have to be really careful when writing about cultures that are not your own. My half-American, half-Indian protagonist is heading to India, and while as an Indian, I know the country intimately, I don't know how someone going there for the first time would react to the assault on the senses or what they would make of the culture.

For that, there's research. Also known as "Honey, how did you feel when you first arrived? What were your first thoughts? What little things did you notice?" ;)

mythicagirl

Registered
Reaction score
I'm curious, where on the shelves would you find Khaled Hosseini or Amy Tan, both huge bestsellers? I'm not very familiar with the American bookstore shelving system (though I'm becoming increasingly familiar with libraries!)

Hello Kudra,

Because the writers you mentioned have had commercial best sellers, many times I'll see them front and center when I enter a bookstore like Borders or Barnes & Noble, especially if they have a new book out, at least that has been my experience.

However, I think you have to be really careful when writing about cultures that are not your own. My half-American, half-Indian protagonist is heading to India, and while as an Indian, I know the country intimately, I don't know how someone going there for the first time would react to the assault on the senses or what they would make of the culture.

For that, there's research. Also known as "Honey, how did you feel when you first arrived? What were your first thoughts? What little things did you notice?" ;)

Kudra, I completely agree, and that also applies to the racial group you identify with. I've been in forums where individuals are more traditional and can be offended with characters that are too westernized and vice versa.
Even though I come from a multicultural family, what one relative thinks is fine, another will point out something they don't agree with. As the writer, I have to ask myself how far to go, because I like gritty characters, but I don't want to be stereotypical. It's got to feel real and read authentic, even if I'm writing contemporary YA. I enjoy writing sweeping historical epics though, so my research is primary. It has to be accurate, even down to the speech patterns of the time, so I'm always editing for accuracy.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

They'd be in the big "Literature" section.

If it's a new book, probably in the front under "New Releases" like mythica said.

mythicagirl

Registered
Reaction score
I do think there's a market for books that explore different cultures, and I think we're only just seeing the beginning of these kinds of books. Especially now with Obama on the way to his Presidency, I think we might see characters in books who're half-one culture, half-another.

Hello Kudra,

In an effort to share thought provoking information, and taking into consideration your statement, I happened upon this article. I post it only because many times the links get lost or de-activated, but if it's not permissable, I will remove it. I find this to be a powerful backstory of a character, and hope other authors will explore it, as I believe its not limited to race, but also religion and ethnicity. Very powerful debate imho.

Defining 'mutt' Obama's true colors
Many people insist that 'the first black president' is actually not black
The Associated Press
updated 8:10 a.m. PT, Sun., Dec. 14, 2008
WASHINGTON - A perplexing new chapter is unfolding in Barack Obama's racial saga: Many people insist that "the first black president" is actually not black.
Debate over whether to call this son of a white Kansan and a black Kenyan biracial, African-American, mixed-race, half-and-half, multiracial — or, in Obama's own words, a "mutt" — has reached a crescendo since Obama's election shattered assumptions about race.
Obama has said, "I identify as African-American — that's how I'm treated and that's how I'm viewed. I'm proud of it." In other words, the world gave Obama no choice but to be black, and he was happy to oblige.
But the world has changed since the young Obama found his place in it.
Intermarriage and the decline of racism are dissolving ancient definitions. The candidate Obama, in achieving what many thought impossible, was treated differently from previous black generations. And many white and mixed-race people now view President-elect Obama as something other than black.
So what now for racial categories born of a time when those from far-off lands were property rather than people, or enemy instead of family?
"They're falling apart," said Marty Favor, a Dartmouth professor of African and African-American studies and author of the book "Authentic Blackness."
"In 1903, W.E.B. DuBois said the question of the 20th century is the question of the color line, which is a simplistic black-white thing," said Favor, who is biracial. "This is the moment in the 21st century when we're stepping across that."
'Obama is whatever people project onto him'
Rebecca Walker, a 38-year-old writer with light brown skin who is of Russian, African, Irish, Scottish and Native American descent, said she used to identify herself as "human," which upset people of all backgrounds. So she went back to multiracial or biracial, "but only because there has yet to be a way of breaking through the need to racially identify and be identified by the culture at large."
"Of course Obama is black. And he's not black, too," Walker said. "He's white, and he's not white, too. Obama is whatever people project onto him ... he's a lot of things, and neither of them necessarily exclude the other."
But U.S. Rep. G. K. Butterfield, a black man who by all appearances is white, feels differently.
Butterfield, 61, grew up in a prominent black family in Wilson, N.C. Both of his parents had white forebears, "and those genes came together to produce me." He grew up on the black side of town, led civil rights marches as a young man, and to this day goes out of his way to inform people that he is certainly not white.
Butterfield has made his choice; he says let Obama do the same.
"Obama has chosen the heritage he feels comfortable with," he said. "His physical appearance is black. I don't know how he could have chosen to be any other race. Let's just say he decided to be white — people would have laughed at him."
"You are a product of your experience. I'm a U.S. congressman, and I feel some degree of discomfort when I'm in an all-white group. We don't have the same view of the world, our experiences have been different."
'One-drop' rule
The entire issue balances precariously on the "one-drop" rule, which sprang from the slaveowner habit of dropping by the slave quarters and producing brown babies. One drop of black blood meant that person, and his or her descendants, could never be a full citizen.
Today, the spectrum of skin tones among African-Americans — even those with two black parents — is evidence of widespread white ancestry. Also, since blacks were often light enough to pass for white, unknown numbers of white Americans today have blacks hidden in their family trees.
One book, "Black People and their Place in World History," by Dr. Leroy Vaughn, even claims that five past presidents — Thomas Jefferson, Andrew Jackson, Abraham Lincoln, Warren Harding and Calvin Coolidge — had black ancestors, which would make Obama the sixth of his kind.
Mix in a few centuries' worth of Central, South and Native Americans, plus Asians, and untold millions of today's U.S. citizens need a DNA test to decipher their true colors. The melting pot is working.
Yet the world has never been confronted with such powerful evidence as Obama. So as soon as he was elected, the seeds of confusion began putting down roots.
"Let's not forget that he is not only the first African-American president, but the first biracial candidate. He was raised by a single white mother," a Fox News commentator said seven minutes after Obama was declared the winner.
"We do not have our first black president," the author Christopher Hitchens said on the BBC program "Newsnight." "He is not black. He is as black as he is white."
A Doonesbury comic strip that ran the day after the election showed several soldiers celebrating.
"He's half-white, you know," says a white soldier.
"You must be so proud," responds another.

Pride is the center of racial identity, and some white people seem insulted by a perception that Obama is rejecting his white mother (even though her family was a centerpiece of his campaign image-making) or baffled by the notion that someone would choose to be black instead of half-white.
"He can't be African-American. With race, white claims 50 percent of him and black 50 percent of him. Half a loaf is better than no loaf at all," Ron Wilson of Plantation, Fla., wrote in a letter to the Sun-Sentinel newspaper.
Attempts to whiten Obama leave a bitter taste for many African-Americans, who feel that at their moment of triumph, the rules are being changed to steal what once was deemed worthless — blackness itself.
"For some people it's honestly confusion," said Favor, the Dartmouth professor. "For others it's a ploy to sort of reclaim the presidency for whiteness, as though Obama's blackness is somehow mitigated by being biracial."
Then there are the questions remaining from Obama's entry into national politics, when some blacks were leery of this Hawaiian-born newcomer who did not share their history.
Linda Bob, a black schoolteacher from Eustis, Fla., said that calling Obama black when he was raised in a white family and none of his ancestors experienced slavery could cause some to ignore or forget the history of racial injustice.
"It just seems unfair to totally label him African-American without acknowledging that he was born to a white mother," she said. "It makes you feel like he doesn't have a class, a group."
There is at least one group eagerly waiting for Obama to embrace them. "To me, as to increasing numbers of mixed-race people, Barack Obama is not our first black president. He is our first biracial, bicultural president ... a bridge between races, a living symbol of tolerance, a signal that strict racial categories must go," Marie Arana wrote in the Washington Post.
He's a bridge between eras as well. The multiracial category "wasn't there when I was growing up," said John McWhorter, a 43-year-old fellow at the Manhattan Institute's Center for Race and Ethnicity, who is black. "In the '70s and the '80s, if somebody had one white parent and one black parent, the idea was they were black and had better get used to it and develop this black identity. That's now changing."
'Transitional period'
Latinos, whom the census identifies as an ethnic group and not a race, were not counted separately by the government until the 1970s. After the 1990 census, many people complained that the four racial categories — white, black, Asian, and American Indian/Alaska native — did not fit them. The government then allowed people to check more than one box. (It also added a fifth category, for Hawaiian and Pacific Islanders.)
Six million people, or 2 percent of the population, now say they belong to more than one race, according to the most recent census figures. Another 19 million people, or 6 percent of the population, identify themselves as "some other race" than the five available choices.
The White House Office of Management and Budget, which oversees the census, specifically decided not to add a "multiracial" category, deeming it not a race in and of itself.
"We are in a transitional period" regarding these labels, McWhorter said. "I think that in only 20 years, the notion that there are white people and there are black people and anyone in between has some explaining to do and an identity to come up with, that will all seem very old-fashioned."
The debate over Obama's identity is just the latest step in a journey he unflinchingly chronicled in his memoir, "Dreams from My Father."
As a teenager, grappling with the social separation of his white classmates, "I had no idea who my own self was," Obama wrote.
No single definition
In college in the 1970s, like millions of other dark-skinned Americans searching for self respect in a discriminatory nation, Obama found refuge in blackness. Classmates who sidestepped the label "black" in favor of "multiracial" chafed at Obama's newfound pride: "They avoided black people," he wrote. "It wasn't a matter of conscious choice, necessarily, just a matter of gravitational pull, the way integration always worked, a one-way street. The minority assimilated into the dominant culture, not the other way around."
Fast-forward 30 years, to the early stages of Obama's presidential campaign. Minorities are on track to outnumber whites, to redefine the dominant American culture. And the black political establishment, firmly rooted in the civil rights movement, questioned whether the outsider Obama was "black enough."
Then came the primary and general elections, when white voters were essential for victory. "Now I'm too black," Obama joked in July before an audience of minority journalists. "There is this sense of going back and forth depending on the time of day in terms of making assessments about my candidacy."
Today, it seems no single definition does justice to Obama — or to a nation where the revelation that Obama's eighth cousin is Dick Cheney, the white vice president from Wyoming, caused barely a ripple in the campaign.
In his memoir, Obama says he was deeply affected by reading that Malcolm X, the black nationalist-turned-humanist, once wished his white blood could be expunged.
"Traveling down the road to self-respect my own white blood would never recede into mere abstraction," Obama wrote. "I was left to wonder what else I would be severing if I left my mother and my grandparents at some uncharted border."

MarionRivers

Registered
Reaction score
Very interesting article about whiteness and blackness. Of course, my take on the whole matter is that race is an entirely irrelevant physical factor that means nothing when it is taken into account that true human is the immaterial soul not their body.

So, in my stories I love to write about ethnically diverse but culturally homogeneous characters. I especially enjoy writing about Hispanics, only because I enjoy the history of those nations, but their resemblance to the common stereotype of "Hispanic" usually ends at the first name or last name. They're usually Protestant and are no-less educated or patriotic about the USA than anybody else.

In fact, many of my pieces involve immigrants who come to the USA, with exotic names, and are virtually indistinguishable from everybody else.

The only time I might make an exception is when I attack or explore my own Jewish heritage and former-Jewish religion, but that's more philosophical than it is anything ethnic.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a mutt like Obama.

Half American Indian, half Polish/Swedish.

On the rez, I'm still something of an outsider, because I'm half white. They view me as one of their own, but I can never really be fully assimilated with my family and tribe because I didn't grow up there, I don't speak enough of the language, and I'm part white.

Outside the rez, I'm still not quite accepted by the white world. To the white world, I'm brown. I'm different. It never really bothered or affected me before, until I got a few racist comments around election time. I suppose tensions were just very high, then. Most people tend to think I'm Mexican. Some think I'm Hawaiian (heh, like Obama).

I'm happy to have a mutt like me in office.

mythicagirl

Registered
Reaction score
To all my fellow "mutts" I say howdy! Kuwisdelu, I thought Obama saying he was a mutt was great. I believe Tiger Woods also used that term once or twice also when he was pressed by a reporter.

I just saw on CNN about the shoes getting thrown at Bush. What fascinated me about this event, was that the reporter stated the throwing of shoes was the height of insult. I'll find the article and post it.
All I kept thinking was, where's the secret service guys? and W has some moves!

**okay, here's the shoe incident:

(CNN) -- President Bush made a farewell visit Sunday to Baghdad, Iraq, where he met with Iraqi leaders and was targeted by an angry Iraqi man, who jumped up and threw shoes at Bush during a news conference.

Bush ducked, and the shoes, flung one at a time, sailed past his head during the news conference with Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki in his palace in the heavily fortified Green Zone.

The shoe-thrower could be heard yelling in Arabic: "This is a farewell ... you dog!" He was dragged out of the room, screaming.

Hurling shoes at someone, or sitting so that the bottom of a shoe faces another person, is considered an insult among Muslims.

As the man continued to scream from another room, Bush said: "That was a size 10 shoe he threw at me, you may want to know."

Bush had been lauding the conclusion of a security pact with Iraq as journalists looked on. Watch Bush duck the shoe

"So what if the guy threw his shoe at me?" Bush told a reporter in response to a question about the incident.

"Let me talk about the guy throwing his shoe. It's one way to gain attention. It's like going to a political rally and having people yell at you. It's like driving down the street and having people not gesturing with all five fingers.

"It's a way for people to draw attention. I don't know what the guy's cause is. But one thing is for certain. He caused you to ask me a question about it. I didn't feel the least bit threatened by it.

"These journalists here were very apologetic. They ... said this doesn't represent the Iraqi people, but that's what happens in free societies where people try to draw attention to themselves."

Bush then directed his comments to the security pact, which he and al-Maliki were preparing to sign, hailing it as "a major achievement" but cautioning that "there is more work to be done."

"All this basically says is we made good progress, and we will continue to work together to achieve peace," Bush said.

Bush's trip was to celebrate the conclusion of the security pact, called the Strategic Framework Agreement and the Status of Forces Agreement, the White House said.

The pact will replace a U.N. mandate for the U.S. presence in Iraq that expires at the end of this year. The agreement, reached after months of negotiations, sets June 30, 2009, as the deadline for U.S. combat troops to withdraw from all Iraqi cities and towns. The date for all U.S. troops to leave Iraq is December 31, 2011.

Bush called the passage of the pact "a way forward to help the Iraqi people realize the blessings of a free society."

Bush said the work "hasn't been easy, but it has been necessary for American security, Iraqi hope and world peace."

Bush landed at Baghdad International Airport on Sunday and traveled by helicopter to meet with President Jalal Talabani and his two vice presidents at Talabani's palace outside the Green Zone.

It marked the first time he has been outside the heavily fortified Green Zone in Baghdad without being on a military base.

The visit was Bush's fourth since the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in March 2003.

Afterward, Talabani praised his U.S. counterpart as a "great friend for the Iraqi people" and the man "who helped us to liberate our country and to reach this day, which we have democracy, human rights, and prosperity gradually in our country."

Talabani said he and Bush, who is slated to leave office next month, had spoken "very frankly and friendly" and expressed the hope that the two would remain friends even "back in Texas."

For his part, Bush said he had come to admire Talabani and his vice presidents "for their courage and for their determination to succeed."

As the U.S. and Iraqi national anthems played and Iraqi troops looked on, he and the Iraqi president walked along a red carpet. Watch President Bush and Iraq's president walk the red carpet »

Before midnight in Iraq (4 p.m. ET), the White House announced that Bush had left.

In remarks to reporters, National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley, who traveled with Bush, described the situation in Iraq as "in a transition."

"For the first time in Iraq's history and really the first time in the region, you have Sunni, Shia and Kurds working together in a democratic framework to chart a way forward for their country," he said.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.