Firebrand's Query Letter Holiday - submit first chapter instead!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Very cool. I submitted a query to them on Oct 31 and have heard absolutely nothing back. Also...I sent a follow-up, which they encourage you to do...and still heard nothing.

I will do this, though...I have a few finished novels in the hopper. I will just send a different one. Thanks for the heads up.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be sending in a first chapter. I've struggled so much with the query letter, this is a blessing for folks like me. :)

Ugawa

It's a catastrophic success!
Registered
Reaction score
So, let me get this straight about sending the email. We have to attach it to the email, right? I only have microsoft works... would that still be okay?

XX

RainyDayNinja

Registered
Reaction score
I hope this really is going to be annual, because otherwise I'll be tempted to spend Christmas break furiously revising my recently finished rough draft.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
So, let me get this straight about sending the email. We have to attach it to the email, right? I only have microsoft works... would that still be okay?

XX
They specify a Microsoft Word document (.doc). Works is a different and incompatible format. However, if you have Wordpad on your computer (Start>Programs>Accessories>Wordpad), you might be able to open the Works document and then save it as a Word format document. Wordpad uses the Word .doc format.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com

XX

I don't think Wordpad will open Works files, but it will open an rtf (rich text file). So save it as an rtf in Works, open in Wordpad, and save as a doc.

Most places want rtf or doc format for submissions, so it's worth learning to convert your files.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
OH, cool. I sent them a query back in July and never got a response. Now I can send a chapter. Coolness.

ETA: Oh, I just looked. I got a rejection in September. But I also think I've changed the first chapter up a bit since then.

Last edited:

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
By 'market' do you think they mean a book's target demographic or its genre or both?

HorsebackWriter

Dream at a gallop!
Registered
Reaction score
This is great! A little scary, too, because I never feel like I have the knack for query letters, which always leaves me wondering if my query is the cause of my rejections, instead of my writing.

It's a good way to find out.

KTC -- It took about three and a half months to hear back from Firebrand when I queried them previously, so, if you queried in October, you may not hear back until January-ish. Good luck!

Em

Ugawa

It's a catastrophic success!
Registered
Reaction score
They specify a Microsoft Word document (.doc). Works is a different and incompatible format. However, if you have Wordpad on your computer (Start>Programs>Accessories>Wordpad), you might be able to open the Works document and then save it as a Word format document. Wordpad uses the Word .doc format.

I don't think Wordpad will open Works files, but it will open an rtf (rich text file). So save it as an rtf in Works, open in Wordpad, and save as a doc.

Most places want rtf or doc format for submissions, so it's worth learning to convert your files.

Thank you both :D. I can also save it as a word document. Should i do that instead? It says Word 97-2003 (*.doc) ?
Only problem is, i'm not able to open it, because my trial for word has expired.

XX

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you both :D. I can also save it as a word document. Should i do that instead? It says Word 97-2003 (*.doc) ?
Only problem is, i'm not able to open it, because my trial for word has expired.

XX
Word 97-2003 is a fine format. You should be able to open it then in WordPad.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone heard how we're supposed to address these emails? Do we still choose a particular agent or is it assumed to go to everyone?

Madison

summertime...
Registered
Reaction score
and do we just send the attached word document? no greetings...brief message...holiday wishes...sucking up?

Status
Not open for further replies.