PDA

View Full Version : Evil Stalks the Castle Ch. 4

vixey
12-11-2008, 09:20 PM
“.Kit, Kit!” I woke up to the sensation of being shaken. Great, dream over. I barely managed to open an eye wide enough to see Kthrok hovering over me.

“What?” I groaned.

Then it hit me. It was bright outside. I was late getting to the castle! I jumped out of bed and raced for the shower.

“That’s what I was trying to tell you!” I heard Kthrok gloat from outside the bathroom.

“Why the hell did you let me sleep so late?” I returned as I whipped dirty clothes at him.

“Gah! Kit! I didn’t mean to do it…I slept late myself!”

“Pitiful excuse Kthrok. You are so dead when I get home tonight!”

Thirty minutes later I was sneaking into my chambers in the castle. No one knew that I didn’t sleep here at night and as far as I was concerned, it could stay that way. I always assumed that they thought I liked to sleep a lot, going to bed before ten and not coming in until after nine. No one ever really asked, so it was all good. They didn’t need to know that I snuck off every night to spend it with Kthrok.

I heard the commotion in the great hall before I had even made it to the stairs. Everyone yelling and Muse yapping his fool head off. What the hell was going on now? I rushed down the stairs to find out. As I entered the hall, I saw Haggis stepping on the poor pup’s throat.

“’That’ is pure evil. Evil incarnate. It must be destroyed. Let this be a lesson to you. Never.Trust.Cute.”

I was confused. What could have Muse possibly done to warrant this treatment and why wasn’t Vixey sending Haggis to the dungeon for treating the royal puppy this way?

“Kit…hide! There’s a monster dog!” she yelled at me.

I didn’t see a monster. I saw a scared little puppy slowly having the life choked out of him by Haggis.

“Haggis, do something!” Vixey pleaded.

I’ll give him something to do. Like take his paw off the poor little guy’s neck before being stuffed into the dungeon again. But I was not the Royal Dungeon Mistress and Heather wasn’t moving.

I watched Muse squirm from underneath Haggis. I was torn between feeling sorry for the little guy and wanting to believe that he was evil. Give me a break, he’s a dog. I don’t hate dogs. I’d just rather be around cats and considering dogs chase cats, part of me sided with Haggis. That in its own right made my skin crawl. I was snapped out of my introspection by Heather yelling.

“GET IT!!! It’s getting away!”

Muse was on his paws and out the window before anyone in the room could move a finger.

“We can’t just let it roam freely…you said it ate someone last night! Sic one of your pets on him!” Vixey was hysterical. And not in a good way.

Ate someone? Now my mind was whirring faster than the engine in Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s race car on Sunday. Muse was a…no, he couldn’t be! Vix was obviously talking to Heather cause there was no way two house cats were going to take out a were-dog.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Vix throwing weapons from the wall in Heather’s and my general direction. I guess my shopping days are over. Pity.

I caught some chains, wrapped them around my shoulder, and a broad sword and ran for the window. Better get that damn dog before one or both of the kittens got it in their heads to chase after him. Lord only knew what they would do to the puppy if they caught up to him and I was still trying to think positive about the whole situation.

As I landed on the ground outside of the castle, my concern changed to horror as I watched Muse change from an ordinary dog into some sort of were creature! Please let Zeus and CJ stay put for once, I silently pleaded. My prayers were not to be answered. Before I could yell ‘Stay!’, the terrible twosome were at my heels, giving chase to Muse.

I was fast on their paws, bound and determined to protect my babies no matter the cost and I didn’t care less if anyone was following, although that would have reassured me a bit. What was I going to do if and when I caught up to that damn whatever he was?

I turned for a split second to see if Heather or Sir Ferret were behind me and when I turned back there was a grey tiger and a black panther were once CJ and Zeus had been. What in the name of tarnation was going on here? All the castle animals were shape shifting! I stopped for a moment, shook my head to clear it and then continued to pursue all of them.

“Zeus, CJ, treat him like one of your toys and tear him to pieces!” I yelled at them.

I cringed as I watched Muse head for the courtyard. Sir Ferret and his men would be out there training at this time of day. Before I could yell a single syllable, Muse charged through the men. I entered the courtyard to see Sir Ferret bravely fighting Muse off with a broadsword.

“Back off men! This thing is dynamite…” he barked.

Muse jumped up the wall and began climbing it.

“It’s climbing the walls! SHOOT IT!!!” He ordered the archers.

Pity those boys couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn with a cannon, but I give them an E for effort.

As for me and the terrible twosome? Well, we climbed the wall too. Zeus and CJ had an easier time of it, but off we went after that blasted puppy/were/mutant/whatever the hell he was. Fortunately, we were joined by Heather’s wolves, but where was Heather? Probably back with the Queen keeping her safe or at least I hope that’s where she was. I damn near struggled to keep up with the pack.

“Living toy, boys. Think living toy.” I yelled at the menagerie. “NOW DESTROY IT!”

Zeus didn’t take long to listen. He swiped at Muse’s back legs and knocked the whatever he was down. That was gonna leave a mark. I was alone and I knew it, but more than likely this crazy beast had taken out most of my friends and the rest were tending to the wounded. I unsheathed my broadsword and jumped into the fray.

“Could you guys kill him a bit faster?” I asked with sarcasm dripping off every word.

I was caught off guard when Muse doubled back and made an attempt at me. I dropped my sword low in front of me and wished that I had had the foresight to bring a shield. Dammit! Why did I always think of these things when it was too late?

Just before Muse could tackle me, I managed to nick his ear with the broadsword. Ok, so maybe nick was a poor choice of words considering the spray of blood that hit my face. I had one word for it.

“EWWWWW! Maybe it wouldn’t be such a good idea for y`all to eat him”

Muse took off for the woods, a trail of blood marking his path. I heard someone whistle behind me. Not that kind of whistle you pig! The kind one uses to call a pet in. I turned to see Heather walking up behind us.

“Manticore, werewolves return! We need to rethink this…”

I followed her back to the castle, just fuming.

“What’s to rethink? That thing has got to go! And I need another shower…”

I tried to wipe more blood off my face, but to no avail. The only thing that was going to help me was a shower. Did I get one? Oh hell no. For my troubles, the minute we hit the castle, Heather had me chained and shackled and dragged down to the dungeons.

Kitrianna
12-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Will Kthrok get his punishment for not waking me up?

Will Haggis and Sir Ferret get bombed out of their minds in the dungeon?

Will anyone go after Muse?

What the hell happened in the castle while I was fighting that thing with the pets?

Will I ever get a shower?

Most importantly, who's going to write the next chapter?

Tune in next week and find out...

regdog
12-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Hmmmm.

vixey
12-12-2008, 12:03 AM
How long will Kit stay in the dungeon? :D

Kitrianna
12-12-2008, 02:06 AM
Bumpity bump. Can't have them ignoring us girls :)

Kitrianna
12-12-2008, 04:56 AM
And one more bumpety bump for the night. :)

Joe270
12-12-2008, 07:29 AM
Sir Ferret bravely fighting Muse off with a broadsword

This is why the genre is called fantasy.

Who would knight a ferret? Can a ferret even kneel? Even if it could, the King would likely squash the little weasel trying to knight him with a sword.

"Rise, Sir Ferret, and speak!"

"Eeek, eek. Eeek."

Bravely fighting with a broadsword? Perhaps nipping at Muse's ankles, more like. Actually, Sir Ferret would probably be harassing Haggis, who would be yapping like crazy at him, and both would be oblivious to anything else, short of the cannon fire.

That would, probably, make them both instantly soil the castle carpeting before they bolted under nearby furniture.

vixey
12-12-2008, 07:30 AM

Who would knight a ferret? Can a ferret even kneel? Even if it could, the King would likely squash the little weasel trying to knight him with a sword.

"Eeek, eek. Eeek."

Bravely fighting with a broadsword? Perhaps nipping at Muse's ankles, more like. Actually, Sir Ferret would probably be harassing Haggis, who would be yapping like crazy at him, and both would be oblivious to anything else, short of the cannon fire.

That would, probably, make them both instantly soil the castle carpeting before they bolted under nearby furniture.

:roll:

Kitrianna
12-12-2008, 10:06 PM

"Eeek, eek. Eeek."

I didn't think of it. It's in the thread. Back around page 620 or so :tongue

Shadow_Ferret
12-12-2008, 10:51 PM

"Eeek, eek. Eeek."

Sheesh. Everyone's a literalist lately. :rolleyes:

vixey
12-12-2008, 10:56 PM
And what would a scorpion do, Joe? I think you're jealous you're not in the story. :D

regdog
12-12-2008, 11:22 PM

"Eeek, eek. Eeek."

:wag: