Fair Use-Can you put the back cover copy of a book on a website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else, but I couldn't find it just searching 'fair use'. I understand you can quote snippets from books you are reviewing under the 'fair use' guidelines. Can you reproduce the entire back cover copy from a book on a website if you state that's what it is?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it without permission from the publisher (not the author--back cover copy is almost always written by a staff member at the publishing company).

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
I've got about fifteen reviews on my novels. In each case the reviewer has been authorized by the publisher to use the blurb on the back cover in part or in its entirety so I assume its up to the publisher in general.

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
Back cover copy is viewed as a promotional tool, so as long as it's used to promote awareness of the book and/or the author, and is properly attributed (the words "From the Publisher" are fine), no publisher or author is going to object.

Deleted member 42

They're fine with back cover quotations, with attribution.

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered somewhere else, but I couldn't find it just searching 'fair use'. I understand you can quote snippets from books you are reviewing under the 'fair use' guidelines. Can you reproduce the entire back cover copy from a book on a website if you state that's what it is?

What for? Are you reviewing the book (or, for some reason, reviewing the design of the cover)? Generally if you're reviewing something, you're pretty safe.

The point being: the purpose for which you're reproducing something matters.

ETA: I just realized what you want to reproduce is the back cover copy, i.e. the text, not a photo of the cover. Hmm. Again, what's your purpose? Why would you need to reproduce the entire text of the back-cover blurb?

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Ideagirl,

Basically, I just wanted to list good books (in my opinion) for middle grade readers. I thought using the back cover copy would give the best idea of what the book is about.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Melia:
Can you reproduce the entire back cover copy from a book on a website if you state that's what it is?

I've run a review blog since 2006 and I put the back cover copy (or inner jacket copy if it's a hardback) up so that people can see what the book is about. Where I found the copy to be misleading about the subject of the book, I usually put that in the review. I get ARCs from a couple of publishers who I've linked to my blog and no-one's given me any problems about it. One marketing bod at a UK publisher said they actually thought that it made sense to do so because that's what the cover blurb was intended to do. So far as I'm concerned, I'm going to keep doing it unless and until I get a C&D letter.

MM

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Ideagirl,

Basically, I just wanted to list good books (in my opinion) for middle grade readers. I thought using the back cover copy would give the best idea of what the book is about.

You would have no trouble getting that permission from the publishers for that kind of usage. However, you would need permission: reproducing the entirety of a book's back cover copy is not considered "fair use."

You can quote from the back cover copy as part of "fair use" in writing a review or similar, but reproducing the entire text would not qualify. Now, I suppose you can do it and just deal with the consequences if anyone complains (like Momento Mori is doing): as long as you're ready to take stuff down if anyone has an objection, you won't have a problem.

But in theory, the back cover blurb is text copyrighted by the publishers, and therefore can't be reproduced in full without their permission.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

You would have no trouble getting that permission from the publishers for that kind of usage. However, you would need permission: reproducing the entirety of a book's back cover copy is not considered "fair use."

It really would be fine.

If you're a reviewer for a publication or write the catalog copy for a large bookseller that gets the regular book and data mailings form publishers they send you the back cover copy in digital form. They want you to use it, and even in its entirety, it's ok. Just make it clear that you are quoting from the book's back cover and include title, author and publication info.

Status
Not open for further replies.