A Cold Weather Caution

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know this should probably be in the Animals and Nature Forum, but I thought many people who don't have pets might not visit that forum, and might not be aware of this.

Now that the cold weather is here, please remember to rap on the hood of your car/truck/SUV before starting it. Many small animals, especially cats will crawl up into the engine for warmth. They can be badly injured or killed if the car is started.

A cat a few cities over from where I live, was horribly injured this way during a recent cold spell, and is lucky to be alive.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
So why would I want to warn the cat? That seems to defeat the purpose.

:)

Sorry, Heather.

Couldn't help it.

We've already had a couple stories here about doggies being left out in the cold. In one case the fire department had to come and pour hot water on the doggie to unfreeze it from the cement. :(

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So why would I want to warn the cat? That seems to defeat the purpose.

:)

Sorry, Heather.

Couldn't help it.

:tongue

We've already had a couple stories here about doggies being left out in the cold. In one case the fire department had to come and pour hot water on the doggie to unfreeze it from the cement. :(

Poor doggies :(

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score

Is that the one that was in the papers, where the dog was too overweight for the owner to carry it in? If it is, she was charged.

And don't leave doggies in the car while you go shopping, please. At any time of year. It's less cruel to leave them at home, even if they beg to go with you.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
International. I'm in Canada. But it's a good thing, if it makes people realize that they can't treat animals that way and get away with it.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Where do you think the trees are, SF? I hear you Americans cut all yours down... :D

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Not true, Yeshanu. The Hoosier National Forest isn't far from Louisville.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Not true, Yeshanu. The Hoosier National Forest isn't far from Louisville.
And a beautiful forest it is. Many weekends of my youth were spent exploring the forest there.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I'll just have to come down and visit your American then, won't I?

And in return, y'all can visit me next August up here in Canada. Bring your skis. :D

(Oh, and did this train switch tracks, or is it now totally off them? :tongue)

Back to the googies in the cold... :(

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL:

Sorry. Monty Python invasion of the brain moment.

True story: Did that skit with another girl on a high school music retreat (which is NOT to be confused with a High School Musical retreat). I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay...

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
I know this should probably be in the Animals and Nature Forum, but I thought many people who don't have pets might not visit that forum, and might not be aware of this.

Now that the cold weather is here, please remember to rap on the hood of your car/truck/SUV before starting it. Many small animals, especially cats will crawl up into the engine for warmth. They can be badly injured or killed if the car is started.

A cat a few cities over from where I live, was horribly injured this way during a recent cold spell, and is lucky to be alive.
Over twenty years ago, one of my cats was killed because it had climbed up into the engine compartment to sleep. :(

Someone, more automotively knowledgeable than I, can correct me, but I believe that this isn't an issue for newer cars. I think that they changed the design of the undercarriage so cats and other small animals can't get up around the engine and the fan belt. But, that may just be for smaller cars, not those big mucking SUVs.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
That incident with the dog freezing to the sidewalk wasn't too far from me. More on it here. The poor thing was too fat to move and is now in the care of the local humane society.

I have a thing for dogs with sad stories, but when I made noises about adopting it, Mr Rima came very close to speaking in tongues. The poor man probably thinks we have enough flora and fauna around here.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Lumberjacks in stretchy pants. Not just for Canadians anymore.

Well, since the situation seems to require a link...

As for cats under hoods, many years ago, my sister had that experience with her car and a cat. Since then, I've checked if there's a chance that a cat might be there.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I cut down trees, I skip and jump
I like to press wild flowers
I put on women's clothing
And hang around in bars
Um, I've got my little weirdnesses too, SF, but I'm not gonna post them here. :D

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
It's still a problem for cats.

Actually, you need to check year round sicne some hide in engines to get away from dogs chasing them. (That's how my parents found their first kitten.)

My dog went on point at my car hood. I tapped on it no one came out.

I asked her to come inside, she refused and remained on point. I opened the hood and the neighbor's large cat came out. However she'd gone in she couldn't back out.

My first cat lost a sibling to a car engine.

The only safe cars are the ones that are sealed underneath. I think that means the only safe ones are the old VW bugs pre 1980 and one year's Volvo '98 I think, but I'm not sure.

Also keep an eye out for antifreeze pools and turkey bones thrown outside.

Stlight

Last edited: