PDA

View Full Version : How does this scam function?

aruna
12-11-2008, 04:08 PM
This sounds like a scam. But how would it work?

Last week I placed an ad in a local paper for a Bosch dishwasher, excellent condition, £140.
It hasn't sold yet, so when I got an email today asking the price (again? The price was in the ad!) I quickly shot it back: £140 or reasonable offer.

I just got the following email:

Thanks for the mail,I will have to inform you that I am okay with the price of the ITEMs (£140)and the condition terms are also okay with me, For the Collection from your location, I have my SHIPPER that will come over for the pick up from your location as soon as we seal this Transaction from your end.Do e-mail me your (FULL NAME ON CHEQUE,CONTACT ADDRESS,MOBILE & LANDLINE PHONE NUMBER)
For the payment arrangement,I will be paying by Cheque and i will wait for the cheque to clear before the pick upfrom your location. I have a CLIENT of my that is owning me some Fund in United Kingdom that will issue you the cheque of(£2,700)as soon as you receive the cheque and clear from the bank, you will deduct the cost of the ADVERT and the remaining balance will be send to the Shipper for the pick up from your location..If this is okay by you,do e-mail me the following detail
FULL NAME ON CHEQUE:
CONTACTED ADDRESS:
MOBILE&LANDLINES PHONE NUMBER:
for the cheque to be made out to you. Hope to read from you soonest..
NB:- I will wait for the cheque to clear before the pick up.I will like you to consider the item sold to me ok,I will compensate you with £50 for you to remove the advert from the site.,Also if you receive any e-mail related to this kindly ignore it because it may be from my partner whom i sent to search for this.

So how is this scam going to work?
I am very keen to sell the machine but this I fear is not going to be it.

alleycat
12-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Stay away. Stay far away.

Assuming your banking system works similar to the US . . . The cheque will "clear" alright. Then a few day later you will hear from your bank telling you it didn't actually.

Funny, the scammer even warns you to stay away from other offers (he doesn't want another scammer horning in on this deal).

aruna
12-11-2008, 04:22 PM
I've no intention of replying, but I still don't get it. What is the point? Would they pick up the dishwasher in between the cheque clearing and not clearing? What a bighassle for a used machine!

alleycat
12-11-2008, 04:27 PM
After you agree to the first terms, the "buyer" will probably want you to do him a favor (after all, he's just purchased your item for sale), such as "Please cash the cheque, keep the money owed, then send me the the remainder of the money by wire. Thank you."

Or something like that.

aruna
12-11-2008, 04:31 PM
Oh, and while I'm on the subject of ripoffs, here;s another one I am mad about, and haven't quite decided what to do.

A few weeks later I had some electrical work done inmy kitchen, after some new installments. The electrician, froma reliable company. fiddled around with the fuse box for quite a while.

Last Friday, this was several weeks later, I smelt burning in the kitchen, and following my nose found it came fromthe fusebox. I caled the fire brigade, they came with blue light and fireengine and 2 firemen srtomped into my house. They checked the fusebox and said there was something smouldering in there. The switched it off and said I should get an electrician to come in ASAP. Meanwhile, all of my sockets as well as the gas boiler was switched off.

I was a bit worried that I wouldn't be able to get the electriians in till Monday and we'de freeze all weekend. I called their mobile number and left a message. That night he (the electrician) called back and said he would come out that night or the ext morning. I said leave it till the morning. He came early and fixed the problem. He said one of the parts was the wrong brand for the fuse box, and had started to burn. He showed me it: a plastic thing about ten cm long, fits in the hand.
When he lef he told me he would not charge for the time, but for the new part.
I said OK, thinking the part would be about £10.

I got the bill yesterday. He wants £50 for this little plastic part ! Plus 17% VAT £7.50. Almost £60.

That would have been about the cost of the time if he had charged for it. So in effect he is charging me for time through the part. What a rip off!
And anyway, he charged to much VAT. It has gone down to 15% this month.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-11-2008, 04:32 PM
I would delete that one without reply and look for a genuine offer. That one stinks.

aruna
12-11-2008, 04:33 PM
After you agree to the first terms, the "buyer" will probably want you to do him a favor (after all, he's just purchased your item for sale), such as "Please cash the cheque, keep the money owed, then send me the the remainder of the money by wire. Thank you."

Or something like that.

Assholes.
The very fact that they offered to buy it even without seeing it was enough warning for me.

regdog
12-11-2008, 04:33 PM
What alley said. Also he warned you about other scammers to try and make himself sound more legit and honest.

It is a different version of the "You won the Nigerian-Bolivian-Irish- lottery" scam. All you have to do is cash this check, send me "x" amount of money from the check to clear up taxes, etc and the rest is yours.

Then you're left owing the bank restitution for the bogus check.

Another popular one is pets. A missionary minister can no longer give his yorkie, poodle, cockapoo etc the time it needs, so if you wire him the cost of shipping and vaccines he'll ship the dog to you.

BTW Bosch dishwasher, very nice, wish I lived where you did, You'd have a sale.

aruna
12-11-2008, 04:34 PM
PS: yes, actually that deal is outlined in the mail, with the £2700 cheque he wants to give me from which I should subtract what is owed. I wouldn't touch this with a barge pole, but I find the approach novel and weird.

aruna
12-11-2008, 04:36 PM
BTW Bosch dishwasher, very nice, wish I lived where you did, You'd have a sale.

Sigh. Nobody seems to want it. It's been on online ads for 3 weeks now, last week I paid for a paper ad, and still very few callers, no viewers. I;d pay you to take it almost, it's blocking up my kitchen!

alleycat
12-11-2008, 04:40 PM
PS: yes, actually that deal is outlined in the mail, with the £2700 cheque he wants to give me from which I should subtract what is owed. I wouldn't touch this with a barge pole, but I find the approach novel and weird.
I didn't actually read it all. It's similar enough to others that I've seen that I didn't need to.

You would think these guys would have run out of gullible victims by now; but I guess P. T. Barnum was right, "There's a sucker born every minute."

They might try this scam five hundred times a day (it doesn't cost them anything); all they need is for one person to agree and they're in the money.

regdog
12-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Sigh. Nobody seems to want it. It's been on online ads for 3 weeks now, last week I paid for a paper ad, and still very few callers, no viewers. I;d pay you to take it almost, it's blocking up my kitchen!

I'd hate to see the shipping cost to the US :eek:

dpaterso
The electrician, froma reliable company. fiddled around with the fuse box for quite a while
I caled the fire brigade, they came with blue light and fireengine and 2 firemen srtomped into my house. They checked the fusebox and said there was something smouldering in there.
I got the bill yesterday. He wants £50 for this little plastic part ! Plus 17% VAT £7.50. Almost £60.
Report this dangerous, cheeky blighter to your local Trading Standards Authority (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=trading+standards+authority+eastbourne)! Or at the very least, to his "reliable company"

-Derek

Ol' Fashioned Girl

And there we see how this scam functions.

Unique
12-11-2008, 04:42 PM
I wish I could afford the shipping, Sharon.
I have an RCA. yeah. RCA dishwasher. I doubt I could give it away.

Tis the season to be... wary. Good luck.

alleycat
12-11-2008, 04:54 PM
I'd hate to see the shipping cost to the US :eek:
You could do what Radar did on the old M*A*S*H TV show. He mailed a Jeep back to Iowa piece by piece.

;-)

aruna
12-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Report this dangerous, cheeky blighter to your local Trading Standards Authority (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=trading+standards+authority+eastbourne)! Or at the very least, to his "reliable company"

-Derek

I would have, and then I checked this website (http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Manufacturers/Hager/Hager_Rcd_s_and_Contactors/)for the actual prices. They are anything from £17.50 to £85.50. Sigh. Google in this case was HIS friend.

PattiTheWicked
12-11-2008, 05:25 PM
That's a scam that's real popular for the freaks to use when you try to sell a car. True story -- last year my husband put up a car for sale THREE times on e-bay. Each time, the "winning bidder" was one of these "i'm overseas and want you to ship me the car so here's a bazillion dollars by way of Western Union." It ended up costing us money, because e-bay only lets you relist a car once. After the third scammer won the bid, we just said the hell wtih it and gave up.

We sold it locally instead.