EEEK! It's a bug!

Calliopenjo

Esteemed thinker
Registered
Reaction score
In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields
Hi there,

I need an insect that lives in groups, like roaches and ants do, in the temperate/tropical weather regions, irritates the skin either through biting or with their legs, but the victim does not become seriously ill or end up with large welts. Just itches them like crazy. Is there a bug like that? And no, the victim is not allergic to insect bites. The MC's skin just gets irritated.

Palmfrond

cereal killer
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure what characteristics you are looking for exactly - roaches hang out together, but don't have colonies with only a single female producing eggs, like bees and ants. Temperate insects differ quite a bit from tropical insects.

That said, you might use any number of colloquial names for insects that are not very species-specific - midges, gnats, no-see-ums, sand flies, black flies, mosquitoes. They all bite, and all bites can leave welts in sensitive folks. If you want something that itches but isn't caused by a bite, you might want to go with poison ivy (or oak, depending on what part of the country you're in).

Mumbleduck

Quackin' up.
Registered
Reaction score
I know out in Alberta in the summer we get horse flies, those buggers are big, but really sneaky, and when they bite you it hurts.

ninja edit:
Though I'm not sure they live in groups, or form colonies, so they might not work in your story - but man are they annoying!

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
Bedbugs.
Their bites itch like crazy, but the bugs don't carry human diseases.
And they're very hard to kill.
They're currently undergoing a population boom.

Keyan

ubiquitous
Registered
Reaction score
Fleas. They aren't colony insects, but they hang out in areas where animals have been. Like if you move into a carpeted apartment where flea-ridden dogs or cats were living, they could have left behind a viable population of fleas just waiting for another good meal.