PDA

View Full Version : Morris Minors and Outboard Motors

euclid
12-11-2008, 03:52 AM
Would it be possible to carry an outboard motor for a boat in the boot (trunk) of a Morris Minor?

I used to own a Morris Minor, but I never tried to put an outboard in the boot.

Mike Martyn
12-11-2008, 04:14 AM
Would it be possible to carry an outboard motor for a boat in the boot (trunk) of a Morris Minor?

I used to own a Morris Minor, but I never tried to put an outboard in the boot.

Probably a 5 hp gas powered trolling motor woulld fit though not one of those 60 horse power monsters. Defiantely one of those electrric trolling motors that run off a 12 volt car battery would fit.

However, with the motor in the boot, there would probably not be enough room for the dead body :)

euclid
12-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Probably a 5 hp gas powered trolling motor woulld fit though not one of those 60 horse power monsters. Defiantely one of those electrric trolling motors that run off a 12 volt car battery would fit.

However, with the motor in the boot, there would probably not be enough room for the dead body :)

...we used to have a small, petrol powered motor with a rope start.
The body is sitting up in the front seat. :)

qwerty
12-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Make it a short-shaft Seagull and it'll get in the boot.

Then it'll get the boot because a bleeding Seagull never starts when you pull that damn cord.

But then again, did a MM start the first time you yanked the starting handle?

Then again, again, we had a boat with a marinised Mk 1 Ford Cortina engine in it. Whoever installed that had obviously never tried to start a Mk 1 Ford Cortina on a damp morning.

Mike Martyn
12-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Or owned a bloody Ford Cortina!

euclid
12-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Or owned a bloody Ford Cortina!

Been there, done that. Mine was Chocolate Brown. Mark 2, I think.

Mike Martyn
12-12-2008, 03:52 AM
Been there, done that. Mine was Chocolate Brown. Mark 2, I think.

Mine was a '73 and "racing green " in colour. It did not do a lot of "racing" since it spent most of the time in the shop.

MaryMumsy
12-12-2008, 04:37 AM
In 1968 I was driving a dorm-mate's oldish English Ford. I was one of few who knew how to drive it. It was a 'three on the tree'. AKA, a standard shift on the steering column. Returning from the airport after picking up a friend, I was pulled over for doing 45 in a 35 zone (mph not kph). Without skipping a beat, I said 'I didn't think this car would go that fast'. After he stopped laughing, he wrote me a warning, not a ticket. We affectionately called that car POS.

MM

euclid
12-12-2008, 02:06 PM
In 1968 I was driving a dorm-mate's oldish English Ford. I was one of few who knew how to drive it. It was a 'three on the tree'. AKA, a standard shift on the steering column. Returning from the airport after picking up a friend, I was pulled over for doing 45 in a 35 zone (mph not kph). Without skipping a beat, I said 'I didn't think this car would go that fast'. After he stopped laughing, he wrote me a warning, not a ticket. We affectionately called that car POS.

MM

...POS? :)

qwerty
12-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Nice story, MM.

...POS? :)
Piece of Shite?

Sixties era, I had a Ford Poplar. Black, which I painted flowers on. A hammer was kept on the front seat because the only way to start it was to open the bonnet and bash a thingy (solonide?) on the starter motor. I had cause to explain this when a policeman came to ask if he could help. He took the hammer, did the bashing bit for me and, as I drove off I called out, 'How do you know I'm not a car thief?'
'Lady,' he called back. 'No one in their right mind would steal that car.'

euclid
12-12-2008, 04:24 PM
Solenoid

MaryMumsy
12-12-2008, 10:08 PM
Nice story, MM.

Piece of Shite?

Sixties era, I had a Ford Poplar. Black, which I painted flowers on. A hammer was kept on the front seat because the only way to start it was to open the bonnet and bash a thingy (solonide?) on the starter motor. I had cause to explain this when a policeman came to ask if he could help. He took the hammer, did the bashing bit for me and, as I drove off I called out, 'How do you know I'm not a car thief?'
'Lady,' he called back. 'No one in their right mind would steal that car.'

We could have a whole thread on 'cars we have loved even though they were junk'. And you are right on the definition of POS. MM