PDA

View Full Version : NEVER microwave-disinfect a sponge that is past its prime...

Saint Fool
12-11-2008, 02:38 AM
I'm just saying.

PS - this is the first and probably the last household hint I shall ever post on the internets. Wonder what Family Circle would pay?

ETA - details at post 13.

Kitrianna
12-11-2008, 02:41 AM
Why would you microwave it period? It's easier and quicker to give it a dip in bleach and water :tongue

Fenika
12-11-2008, 02:43 AM
*grabs fire extinguisher and a sponge*

Do you recommend full power or defrost for the most lasting effect?

regdog
12-11-2008, 02:43 AM
I never use sponges. Just eewww. Cooty farm

Shadow_Ferret
12-11-2008, 02:44 AM
What happens? Is it cool? Is it an experiment my kids will think is neat?

Tell me!

Fenika
12-11-2008, 02:45 AM
Seeing is believing

Kitty Pryde
12-11-2008, 02:46 AM

Tell me!

I dunno, but turning off the lights and microwaving an incandescent lightbulb is AWESOME! And sometimes it explodes (the bulb, not the mic)!

sassandgroove
12-11-2008, 02:46 AM
I gots to know what happened.

I put mine in the dishwasher.

Kitrianna
12-11-2008, 02:47 AM
*sighs and whaps head off of desk* y`all are strange...:D

regdog
12-11-2008, 02:49 AM

Tell me!

Seeing is believing

But I can't see it to believe. I don't have a microwave and never use sponges. Please tell us what happens.

I would think, fire. Pfoom

sassandgroove
12-11-2008, 02:58 AM
i set a bagel on fire once. well, not the bagel. It was a day old, so I wrapped it in a damp paper towel to nuke it. Well, I guess the paper towel wasn't damp enough. sigh. After that, everytime anyone made dark toast at work or their was a smell of burnt something, people would ask if I was cooking again. UGH.

Sass- who still does that to soften old breads....

regdog
12-11-2008, 03:02 AM
I set bacon on fire in the microwave, hence why I no longer have a microwave. I never microwaved bacon and everyone kept saying how great it was, and how easy it was to microwaves bacon. So I did.

Pfoom, flames, smoke the whole nine yards. And flaming, scorched, bacon and toasted microwave do not combine for a nice aroma.

Saint Fool
12-11-2008, 03:10 AM
Standard procedure is to toss wet sponge in and zap on full power for about 2 minutes. I usually forget about it, let it cool down and take it out later on.

Suddenly, I smell this nasty smoky odor. I check the roof outside, go up in the attic, down in the basement, and am about to call the fire department when I see the final glow from its charcoaled corpse through the window of the microwave door. (Yes, I love the fact that I forgot about it, too. Middle age sucks, oh best beloveds.)

So now I have this nasty brown stain on the glass turntable and I have ammonia water inside the unplugged microwave in hopes that will get rid of the smell.

Sigh.

regdog
12-11-2008, 03:11 AM
Standard procedure is to toss wet sponge in and zap on full power for about 2 minutes. I usually forget about it, let it cool down and take it out later on.

Suddenly, I smell this nasty smoky odor. I check the roof outside, go up in the attic, down in the basement, and am about to call the fire department when I see the final glow from its charcoaled corpse through the window of the microwave door. (Yes, I love the fact that I forgot about it, too. Middle age sucks, oh best beloveds.)

So now I have this nasty brown stain on the glass turntable and I have ammonia water inside the unplugged microwave in hopes that will get rid of the smell.

Sigh.

Oh dear.

But thanks for telling us what happens

This might sound stupid, but they say an apple core helps
to absorb bad odors. Might be a little less noxious then ammonia water. Or like Kit,
said baking soda or charcol

Kitrianna
12-11-2008, 03:13 AM
Try some baking soda or one of those charcoal fridge fresheners. Might help things a bit.

Shadow_Ferret
12-11-2008, 05:06 AM
I dunno, but turning off the lights and microwaving an incandescent lightbulb is AWESOME! And sometimes it explodes (the bulb, not the mic)!
Or a cup with a gold band around the outside, it is so cool watching the sparks circling the cup.

SouthernFriedJulie
12-11-2008, 05:22 AM
A grape cut in half gives a neat show.

My BIL has burned popcorn in mine twice. So, no more microwaves. Everyone here thinks they need to put the timer on 10:00 and then 'high'. Morons. Burned popcorn is one of the worst smells in the world.

BenPanced
12-11-2008, 07:34 AM
I've also heard lemon juice in water helps get rid of the odors, too.

Know what else is fun in the microwave: Peeps!

Saint Fool
12-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Peeps are very fun in the microwave.

tlblack
12-11-2008, 10:18 AM
My Aunt decided to bake potatoes in our microwave and used a non-microwavable plate to set them on while nuking. To make it worse, she set the timer too long. The potatoes shrivelled up and the plate melted to the glass tray in the microwave. It took forever to get the plate unstuck and she chipped the tray while trying to pry it loose. Microwave ovens are okay, it's just that some people shouldn't be allowed to use them.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
12-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Unwise Microwave Oven Experiments... (http://amasci.com/weird/microwave/voltage1.html)

Komnena
12-11-2008, 04:51 PM
A grape cut in half gives a neat show.

My BIL has burned popcorn in mine twice. So, no more microwaves. Everyone here thinks they need to put the timer on 10:00 and then 'high'. Morons. Burned popcorn is one of the worst smells in the world.

Salmon mixed with rose deodorizer is worse. Worst of all, though, is a chemical used to stonewash jeans. It smells something like a combination of sulphur, rotten eggs and skunk.

NeuroFizz
12-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Sponges ShamWOW. Are you following this, camera guy?

Maryn
12-11-2008, 05:35 PM
I run my sponges through the dishwasher. I can't imagine functioning without a sponge. How do you wash dishes, wipe the counter, scrub the stove top?

For anybody with kids:

Unwrap a bar of Ivory soap (either size) and place it on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave it on "high" setting for 1 - 2 minutes. (Usually 1:15 is enough, but this will depend on the soap and the oven.) Watch it closely and be prepared to stop the microwave without opening its door, especially during the second minute of cooking, at the first tint of yellow, gold, or brown--that's burning.

The soap bar will expand up to five times its original size in irregular shapes resembling an iceberg. (It will also leave the microwave quite soap-scented. A paste of baking soda and water allowed to dry on interior surfaces removes the scent completely.) The iceberg floats, but donít stay in your bath too long, because it will dissolve in the water a lot faster than the bar of soap it used to be.

We did this when our kids were in early high school. They tried to be blase and unimpressed, but it was too cool.

Maryn, who's raised one science boy

Pagey's_Girl
12-11-2008, 06:14 PM
We can also add oysters to the list of Stuff That Explodes In The Microwave.

(They were in the seafood chowder I was nuking...)

NeuroFizz
12-11-2008, 06:55 PM
We can also add oysters to the list of Stuff That Explodes In The Microwave.

(They were in the seafood chowder I was nuking...)
Premature ejaculation--when the aphrodesiac explodes before being consumed.

stormie
12-11-2008, 08:00 PM
I run my sponges through the dishwasher. I can't imagine functioning without a sponge. How do you wash dishes, wipe the counter, scrub the stove top?
Yep, run 'em in the dishwasher, but make sure they're secured. As for wiping down the counters: don't use a sponge unless you wash the sponge in the dishwasher after every wipe-down. The most germs are on the kitchen counter top. Or use either an old cloth that is washed after each use or paper towels.

My sister tried drying herbs in the microwave. I guess the paper towel wasn't damp enough or she nuked them for too long. Killed the herbs and the microwave. We weren't in the room but smelled the smoke. Must have been a lovely fire in there.

CACTUSWENDY
12-11-2008, 09:25 PM
And I fix bacon in one all the time. Never had any problem.

<<<<<wonders away.......

sassandgroove
12-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Oh oh oh...

Back when Microwaves were new fangled on not in every household...

My grand parents gave one to my mom forChristmas. She decieded to do the christmas ham in it. I guess because it was new. The ham was fine, but she had put raisins at the intersection of each score line. YUP, you guessed it. Raisin guts all over the inside of the brandnew microwave, and a startled mom to boot.

I pretty much use mine for popcorn, heating up coffee and defrosting meat anymore.

WerenCole
12-11-2008, 11:36 PM
Sponges are relatively cheap. . . why not just buy a new one? There is nothing worse than an old, skanky sponge (except and old skank).

maestrowork
12-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Wouldn't it be better to wash your sponges in a dishwasher? While cooking the fish?

p.s. by the way, also don't make hard-boiled eggs in a microwave...

Danni
12-12-2008, 01:21 AM
So THIS is why microwaves were invented! Not for convenience for cooking or reheating, but to entertain the curious souls who wonder what would happen if....
For the record, I have killed two microwaves. The first when I was a kid and was too lazy to put the leftovers in a bowl, so I nuked the metal pot (microwave inventors weren't kidding when they said don't do that) and the other...I'm not sure what happened to that one, actually. I think it saw me coming, heard through the grapevine (probably from a mourner of the first microwave funeral) just what atrocities I've committed, and threw up the white flag.:D

Saint Fool
12-12-2008, 03:25 AM
Wouldn't it be better to wash your sponges in a dishwasher?

According to our local health department, microwaving them is more effective than the dishwasher. But the dishwasher/bleach/vinegar/never use sponges camps all have their reasons.

So, Ray. What happens when you try to hard boil eggs in a microwave?

Chumplet
12-12-2008, 04:25 AM
Heh... an old boyfriend nuked an egg in the microwave back in the Seventies. It exploded all over the place. The egg, not the microwave..

Many newer sponges are treated so they don't get funky. Also, not everyone has a dishwasher. I had one, but after fifteen years it made my dishes dirtier, so I wheeled it to the end of the driveway.

My son cooks bacon in the microwave. Some paper towel above and below and don't overdo it or it'll stick to the paper towel.

Also, never use melamine dishes in the MW. They're made of some compound that actually heats up like food!

Jaycinth
12-12-2008, 04:31 AM
Why would you microwave it period? It's easier and quicker to give it a dip in bleach and water :tongue

Bleach eats away at sponges and makes them unusable 50% faster.

That's not to say you shouldn't, I'm just saying that it decreases the useful life of the sponge.

The dishwasher is great.

Yes, you can microwave a wet sponge to kill the germs...emphasis on WET, but then you are using extra electricity.

It is best to just get a fire hose and cover everything with polyurethane.

Peace...out.