What Movies (in theaters now!) are Worth Watching? What Should be Avoided?

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
HI All,

I'm about to go on a one month vacation :)

I need some serious help in the movies department since I rarely watch T.V. and don't see previews

What is out there worth watching? Or more to the point, what is out there worth $10 to go see.

Conversely, what should be avoided?

My focus is ONLY on movies released this year, 2008. I don't want this to turn into a nostalga thread.

And also, please, no spoilers. Just a quick review that doesn't give anything away. Actually, What would be helpful would be comparisons. Like...

"If you like SUPER TROOPERS than you'll love this movie"

"If you hated Dark Knight, then you will hate this movie too"

that sort of thing would be preferble to a review . And I don't care about Genre

anyways, thanks

Mel....

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
I am the same. I don't watch TV or keep up to date with the latest movies. I just tend to randomly select a movie am feeling at the time, when I am at the movie theatre and just watch it.

If you like experience and history than that Waltz with Bashir that I posted in this section may be of curiosity to you. I have shared what it is about in the previous thread. I have not watched it myself yet, but I feel it is a powerful movie so one to watch when feeling light headed and open minded.

I did ended up watching "Ghost Town" last month, which was about a British dentist living in the US who can see ghosts and can communicate with them, and eventually ends up helping this dead man, unresolved problem. It is a comedy and has a bit of humour to it. So if you ever just want to laugh, than this could be the film for you. I did not find it funny myself.

I think your question is general, as what one person may find interesting or funny, another may not.

Why not just pick a movie you fancy, and just go for it?

Whatever you do, have a wonderful time. :D

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
"If you like SUPER TROOPERS than you'll love this movie"

"If you hated Dark Knight, then you will hate this movie too"
If you liked Super Troopers and hated Dark Knight I got nothin' for ya.

Srsly.

:roll:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Frost/Nixon looks fascinating and is getting pretty good reviews (it's based on the Tony Award winning play, stars the original actors from the stage production, and is directed by Ron Howard). From imdb: "A dramatic retelling of the post-Watergate television interviews between British talk-show host David Frost and former president Richard Nixon."

JCVD - but that one is foreign, and might not be playing everywhere. But everyone I know who's seen it LOVES it. From Wiki: JCVD is a French meta-action film directed by French-Algerian director Mabrouk El Mechri, and starring Jean-Claude Van Damme as himself, a down-and-out action star whose family and career are crumbling around him as he’s caught in the middle of a bank heist in his hometown of Brussels, Belgium.

Not sure if you are into kid films (I love 'em myself), but BOLT is also getting surprisingly good reviews, and while not Pixar, there were a lot of people working on the production who are Pixar regulars. IMDB: The canine star of a fictional sci-fi/action show that believes his powers are real embarks on a cross country trek to save his co-star from a threat he believes is just as real (computer animated).

Anyway, those are the ones I would recommend at the moment.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I haven't been to the theaters since some of the summer blockbusters. But now it's Oscar season and I expect my money to disappear.

It's not out until Christmas Day, but I suggest you see The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, about a man who ages backward. The visuals on this are going to be extraordinary, and lots and lots of Oscar buzz. Early screenings have everyone raving.

Slumdog Millionaire is another one that I haven't seen because it hasn't released here yet.

Also looking forward to Revolutionary Road, The Reader and Seven Pounds. I also want to see Marley and Me, but that might be a rental since I'm against public displays of emotion.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Not out yet, but since you said a month, Benjamin Button looks very good. It's based on the F. Scott Fitzgerald short story, so if you like Fitzgerald and don't mind Brad Pitt...

Also, I have high hopes for The Spirit. It looks like an "if you liked Sin City, you'll like this" movie.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I'm dying to see Revolutionary Road. A friend of mine got to see it early for a review and said it was fantastic. I *love* the book.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing Milk (is that out yet?) and still haven't gotten around to Let the Right One In. Both films are supposed to be fabulous. The new Bond is pretty decent, though nowhere near as good as the last one. Probably will see The Reader and maybe Doubt, both out on the 12th. If you like smallish crime thrillers, Mark Ruffalo's (thoughts to the family) new one with Ethan Hawke, What Doesn't Kill You, looks good.

Last edited:

Tom Johnson

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www15.brinkster.com
Oh, please, if you see "The Day The Earth Stood Still", let me know how it is. I'm anxious to see this remake, but we're fifty miles from the nearest theater, and just never make those long trips any more - at least not for a movie!

"The Weed of Crime Bears Bitter Fruit!"

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Foster/Nixon is worth a watch just for the historical aspect of it. Plus the acting's supposed to be great.

Milk for the same reason.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button -- David Fincher, Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett, Forrest Gump meets Tim Burton... enough said.

Revolutionary Road -- heard great things about it. Plus anything with Kate Winslet in it is going to be fantastic.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I..god help me, but I'm curious about Valkyrie. I know Tom Cruise is kinda...insane, but the story itself is one that I'm very interested in.

What can I say? Hitler was a douchebag and I want to see him get his comeuppance. (Don't tell me the ending)

Yes I know the ending. But if I don't think about it hard enough, maybe I can be in suspense.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Skip Transporter 3. The only parts worth watching involve Jason Statham removing his shirt. Everything else is a waste of your $8.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.

As for "don'ts"... Well, Zach and Miri is a disappointment. Kevin Smith's trying too hard to be Judd Apatow.

The Punisher -- a pile of stinking crap.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
slumdog millionare! i dont know why my thread barely got any responses, but it was one of the best films i have seen in a few years. trust me, when it comes to movies, music, and girls, i have impeccable taste.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Australia seems to be getting good reviews from the customers coming out the door.

Bolt, if you're into animated movies.

I'm with Ray -- skip The Punisher, like almost everyone else.

Most folks coming out the doors have liked Quantum of Solace, as well.

As for movies coming out in the next month, on my "must see" list, Benjamin Button, Yes Man (enjoyed the book), and Bedtime Stories.

Milk is out (okay, so bad pun here...) but in very limited release. Like, only one theatre in our chain in Central Canada, and it's a French theatre in Montreal. WTF??? It's not playing in Toronto? Sometimes, I think our booker is just a little bit out of touch with reality.

AmandaAcidic

Good morning beautiful!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
amandalynb.blogspot.com
Don't go see Zack and Miri. It was awful. I agree with wanting to see Benjamin Button, Yes Man, Revolutionary Road to name a few. Leo and Kate together for the first time since Titanic (Don't hate me but I love that movie)? Yes please!

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I slept through the Transporter 3, woke up 20 minuets before the end, and still figured the bloody plotline out.

That there is a bad sign.

BarbaraKE

Registered
Reaction score
I..god help me, but I'm curious about Valkyrie. I know Tom Cruise is kinda...insane, but the story itself is one that I'm very interested in.

I want to see this too. I don't particularly like Tom Cruise as an actor but evidently this is much more of an ensemble piece. It also stars Kenneth Branagh, Tom Wilkinson, Bill Nighy, and Terence Stamp.