The day the earth stood still (1951) remake (2008)

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
I have just understood that this original film, has been remade by Scott Derrickson. It features Keanu Reeves and Jennifer Connelly. I have just seen a trailer for it, and I did not find it appetising as I guess I prefer the oldies, than new films with the latest mod cons. I loved the original film with Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal and Hugh Marlowe. It is about an alien visitor who comes to warn earth about what is going to happen, and just inform them of he's own planet. I find the original very captivating. I may go see this new one, just to see whether it carries that similiar message.

Has anyone seen the new film? As I know that it has come out this week in the UK. Has it reached America yet? Have we got any appreciators of the 1951 classic?

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
The remake opens Dec. 12 everywhere. I think this never needed to be remade, but I will protably go see it, just because Jon Hamm is in it, and whither he goes, I must follow.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Michael Rennie is spinning in his grave. *hearts Michael Rennie* Now if they'd cast Keanu as Gort...

I'm going to avoid this like a Biblical plague. And to be fair, I love Keanu in The Replacements. Everything else he's done, well...

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
Being a nerd, I will see this.

I don't know if a modern twist will work for this film, but I think it worked okay for War of the Worlds (Dakota Fanning aside) because WOTW was largely an action flick to begin with.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
there are ofcourse people like me, who did not see the original, who have no sort of hero worship with old movies and who don't see remakes as a threat to the original. A remake does not change the integrity or innate goodness of the original and I don't understand why some people act like it does. Not anyone on this thread, that was just a general statement.

I'll probably see it because it's Keanu Reeves. I've read one review which wasn't good but which definitely suffered from "the original is God how dare they make a remake" syndrome.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
As fate would have it,

I saw the original a couple of months ago. Adjusting for the time period it was made in, I thought the film was very very well done. Could defnitely see why this would be a blockbuster back in the 50s.

I really like Keanu Reeves, he plays great characters. Probably my favorite film of his (besides the Matrix of course :)) is Constatine. LOVED that film, characterization, and STORY TELLING...

The previews for the film were kinda "blah" for me, didn't seem like they were giving anything away, couldn't really get a sense of the movie. In fact, if I had never seen the original, i'd have no idea what this film is about.

Perhaps that is his motiff, Keanu does a lot of films where you aren't quite sure what they are, but then are blown away when you watch. IMO

I will see it this weekend

Mel....

Reaction score
I'll probably see this so I have something else to rant about.

I named my hamster Gort because of this fillum.
Gort6.jpg

The original, that is.
Gortgif.gif

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
there are ofcourse people like me, who did not see the original, who have no sort of hero worship with old movies and who don't see remakes as a threat to the original. A remake does not change the integrity or innate goodness of the original and I don't understand why some people act like it does. Not anyone on this thread, that was just a general statement.

I'll probably see it because it's Keanu Reeves. I've read one review which wasn't good but which definitely suffered from "the original is God how dare they make a remake" syndrome.
Just ask the people in the screenwriting forums who can't get their original scripts filmed about the backlash against remakes.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Just ask the people in the screenwriting forums who can't get their original scripts filmed about the backlash against remakes.

good scripts will out, regardless of the remake trend. just saying.

edited to add, not sure if "will out" is a canadian expression but it means that something will survive, something will come to the attention of the right people.

Reaction score
I don't hero-worship originals and indiscriminately hate the remakes; I just object on the grounds that there are enough original scripts out there to avoid doing something that's already been done.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
good scripts will out, regardless of the remake trend. just saying.

I've got to disagree here. Clearly there are limited resources to go around, especially with Hollywood constantly citing dwindling ticket sales year in and year out. From a fan standpoint, I don't have all that much beef with remakes, although I do think it'd be cool to see some more original work come down the pipeline once in a while.

But from a screenwriting standpoint, having a good script even in ideal conditions doesn't automatically mean you'll get a shot, or even that your good script will remain a good script through studio ordered re-writes and directorial decisions. In a climate where more and more funds are directed to remakes, adaptations and sequels, the chances of getting your story bought & told are slimmer than Lara Flynn Boyle on a six-day coke-binge.

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
LOVED the original. Amazing movie. I was shocked they were touching this one and *gasp* Forbidden Planet. Some movies just need to be left alone.

I guess I may go and see it since my Sci-Fi movie buddy wants to check it out and we haven't seen a movie in the theaters since X-Files. I saw CG Gort and I'm sure Robert Wise is turning in his grave, too. (They need to hire WETA or someone so it doesn't look CG methinks).

I don't hero-worship originals and indiscriminately hate the remakes; I just object on the grounds that there are enough original scripts out there to avoid doing something that's already been done.

I agree. I was thinking about all the recent movies in the last decade that were original when they came out. Movie studios don't like to take risks anymore. With the falling DVD and movie sales we'll probably be stuck with "sure things" like remakes and book adaptations for awhile. The latter I'm pretty jazzed about.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
LOL Jcomp, Lara Flynn Boyle on a coke binge is not an image i really need in my head.

I don't know much about screenwriting but it seems to me that it's much more about politics and who you know than about good writing. My earlier comment was quite flippant. I would like to see good original movies but there don't seem to be that many. Because usually, the first thing that goes through my mind with movies like this is "Oh God another remake? Can't they do something original?"

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Pretty campy stuff. Both versions. Popcorn fare, not much more. Keanu playing a stiff, emotionless alien, however, may be the casting coup of the century.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I'm one of the rare people who loves the original and still can't wait for this movie. To me it looks like they've tried to turn it into an action flick, and for the life of me I just can't get my head around how that would work, so I'm dying to see if they did it well or not. Also, I love Keanu Reeves. :)

Of course what I REALLY love is not the original movie, but the original short story, which also has one of the best titles ever. If they had called the remake "Farewell to the Master" I'd be lined up outside my local theatre right now.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
Michael Rennie is spinning in his grave. *hearts Michael Rennie* Now if they'd cast Keanu as Gort...

I'm going to avoid this like a Biblical plague. And to be fair, I love Keanu in The Replacements. Everything else he's done, well...

Gort projected more personality and acting range than Keanu ever has. Close your eyes when KR is on film and you shall hear.

Of course the special effects in the remake should be more spectacular, but I generally prefer originals to remakes.

Still, regardless of my and others' preference for the originals, we somehow can enjoy the many versions of Shakespear's plays and Jane Austin's books dramatized on film and TV in orignal and latter century settings. Go figure. The play (aka characters and story) is indeed the thing.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Some remakes are really great, so don't knock them off with broad strokes. :) Doesn't mean the original wasn't good -- but times change, special effects get better, better actors, etc.

- Scarface
- The Departed
- John Carpenter's The Thing
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers
- The Magnificent Seven
- Pride & Prejudice
- My Fair Lady

to name a few

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
They're remaking Escape from New York too, of all things.