Before I call for a repair, does anyone here know anything about garage doors?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
My silly garage door isn't working properly. It won't go down unless you hold the button for the duration of its descent. (The little remotes in our cars won't work at all.)

We've cleaned the lenses and realigned the beam along the base and that will make it work for one or two times, then we're back to it rattling back up as soon as it starts.

Any suggestions?

Meerkat

Claims the loan was a gift
Registered
Reaction score
"site, place, position" --Roget's Thesaurus
DO NOT attempt any DIY repairs on automatic garage door openers!!

Seriously, some types have a tension spring in them that can actually kill you if let loose. You absolutely have to call a repairman, Perks!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
What type is it? If it's just a Sears thing, check the chain track, it might be a simple case of either tightening the chain or loosening it. (You'll have to experiment.)

Also, maybe you need to grease or oil the door tracks. We have to lube our's occassionally or it won't go down.

Meerkat, not sure what kind of door openers you've seen. You could be correct, but I'm only familiar with the DIY door openers you can get over the counter at Sears and install yourself.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
DO NOT attempt any DIY repairs on automatic garage door openers!!

Seriously, some types have a tension spring in them that can actually kill you if let loose. You absolutely have to call a repairman, Perks!
Too late. I'm already dead. Please disembowel a farm animal to appease Thor in lieu of flowers.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
It's a 'LiftMaster'. I've read up on it and all symptoms seem to be indicating a sensor problem. I makes sense, but I just can't seem to get our 'fix' to stay. Grrr. And it's pouring cold rain today, so I'm not all that keen to get soaked in fiddling with it.

I guess it's a good problem to have. Worse things have happened.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I just got an unbearable twinge in my left butt-cheek. Somewhere on Planet Earth, a ferret must be pouting.

But I'll bet his garage door works.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I agree with Meer...call a repair guy and get it done right.

This from someone whose leftside door has not been used for over a year because he finally got it locked in down position because it wouldn't close and the mechanism is crap.

Yes...I have to call one too. I put everything off.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Meer...call a repair guy and get it done right.

This from someone whose leftside door has not been used for over a year because he finally got it locked in down position because it wouldn't close and the mechanism is crap.

Yes...I have to call one too. I put everything off.

how long have you been thinking about posting in this thread?

kalel32

Registered
Reaction score
How old is it? It sounds like the motor is screwed up.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Oil the chain
There should be two adjustments on the motor control, an UP tension and a DOWN tension. increase the DOWN tension a quarter turn after you've oiled the chain. If it gets farther down but still stops, add more tension in quarter turn adjustments, until it closes.

The sensor works in conjunction with the tension if the tension is too low, no matter how perfect the sensors are aligned, the door will find a reason to stop.

Shaun M

Registered
Reaction score
I second the comment above, the tension spring can indeed kill you.

It is the coil looking thingy that runs across the top of the garage door. Don't mess with that at all!

Feiss

Sleeps during the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I say, screw it all. Dig up your garage floor and turn your garage into a garden/patio.

A rose garden and a barbeque pit would be lovely.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Kick it.

Seriously, I have a Liftmaster, too. It does sound like a sensor problem. It could be the sensors are not staying aligned because the metal is not staying bent (that make sense?). Bend them farther, so they go past being aligned, then bend them back.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Oil the chain
There should be two adjustments on the motor control, an UP tension and a DOWN tension. increase the DOWN tension a quarter turn after you've oiled the chain. If it gets farther down but still stops, add more tension in quarter turn adjustments, until it closes.

The sensor works in conjunction with the tension if the tension is too low, no matter how perfect the sensors are aligned, the door will find a reason to stop.

Is it just stopping? Or is it stopping and then opening back up. (Yeah, been down this road.)

If the sensor senses a "blocking of the stream" of light. It stops and goes back up. Whether that's real, or a faulty sensor depends on how many pets or how much crap you have in front of the door.

If the system senses a blockage above the sensor lens, it stops the door closing (or opening) process. This is where tension comes in. Too much tension, it stops. Cold metal doesn't like to move. Every winter, I have to adjust this, with the tension screw settings. Adjust slowly, test in quarter turns, as described above.

Also might want to remove the cover and look for plastic shavings in the casing. Those fiber plastic gears are (IMHO) designed to wear out. Make sure the power is off to the unit. I do not recommend repairs to the unit. (I've done it once, and then got to do it again.) Replace the silly thing.

At what point "Do it Yourself" stops and common sense takes over, is kind of up to you and your free time. :)

ETA: Almost forgot. This does not preclude the kicking Rob step.