In need of mistletoe advice

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
I'm just throwing this out there in the hope that someone can help me. I moved to the US a few years ago, and I can't easily find many of the herbs and plants I'm used to working with.

One of the Yule traditions (which I'm actively celebrating again this year) is to hang mistletoe bound with a red ribbon and passed through the Yule candle for a year of good luck. But mistletoe doesn't grow in this part of Ohio. I can only find dried mistletoe, but it's not the same - can anyone suggest an alternative?

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could help, but it's too cold for even holly to grow up here.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I've always used dried or fresh herbs interchangeably with no adverse affects from using dried, but I'm not familiar with the tradition of tying a sprig to a candle so I can't say that it would be the same for you.

I googled it, though, and I found that it does grow in Clermont County, Ohio. Surprising, no? I was raised in West Virgina, and my brother in law always found some in the mountains at Christmastime. The climate isn't that different. I think it might be possible to locate it if you ask the right people. Old timers always tend to know about that kinda stuff. Maybe even stop in to a flea market or something. The flea market (indoor) here always has fresh things like herbs and honey in the summertime--you might be able to find someone selling fresh mistletoe.

Anyhoo, I also googled fresh mistletoe and found numerous suppliers that you could order it from.

Last edited:

petec

Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Ok
it is December 12th
We can officially start Yule celebrations
Solstice is Sunday 21st midday
Good will to you all

Deleted member 42

Cath have you tried a local florist? A bunch of fresh usually costs around 20. 00

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
Chain food stores usually sell bundles around this time of year...check your local market for a sprig.

If the florist doesn't have any PM me and I'll see what I can scrounge up for you.

Happy Yule!

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
a man was selling mistletoe outside the local Food Lion the other day; I didn't buy any because... well, because I didn't need any. Who was I gonna kiss? I kiss the cats without mistletoe.

Good luck. We used to pick it by shotgun. I'm not sure how they do it now.

TsukiRyoko

Forced into cell phone life
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tsuki-explodes.blogspot.com
I'm just throwing this out there in the hope that someone can help me. I moved to the US a few years ago, and I can't easily find many of the herbs and plants I'm used to working with.

One of the Yule traditions (which I'm actively celebrating again this year) is to hang mistletoe bound with a red ribbon and passed through the Yule candle for a year of good luck. But mistletoe doesn't grow in this part of Ohio. I can only find dried mistletoe, but it's not the same - can anyone suggest an alternative?
You could go to a local nursery, perhaps. Ask around- you'd be surprised at how advice travels. I usually opt for dry berries and make fun dangling charms with them to hang our mistletoe.

Deleted member 42

We used to pick it by shotgun. I'm not sure how they do it now.

Same way. Works and all.

It's good to be careful about who can reach miseltoe. It's not really a good idea to ingest the leaves or berries, especially for small children, dogs or cats.

And I am appalled at all the crap on the 'net about druids, and mistletoe . . .

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
Same way. Works and all.

It's good to be careful about who can reach miseltoe. It's not really a good idea to ingest the leaves or berries, especially for small children, dogs or cats.

And I am appalled at all the crap on the 'net about druids, and mistletoe . . .

what are ya gonna do??? heh. :e2seesaw: