PDA

View Full Version : Are you a snob?

Samantha's_Song
12-09-2008, 11:24 PM
I am and always have been about certain things, but I find that I am getting worse as I get older. Over twenty years ago, my ex used to call me a musical snob; I won't entertain certain music or musicians, so absolutely sure I won't like their stuff. I won't watch films if they have certain actors/actresses in, because I just know I'm going to hate their characters, no matter what. My bro-in-law has laughingly called me a snob over many things over the years.

But I find that I am becoming a real awful snob about what I read these days, even on these helpful boards. I like to read other people's query letters and the replies they get on here; I figure it all helps me out to concocting my own queries eventually, but as soon as I see this one word in the beginning of said query letters, I'm out like a shot.

Anyone else like that, or is it just grumpy Mrs. Meldrew me? :D

Shadow_Ferret
12-09-2008, 11:27 PM
It's just you. :tongue

Personally, I don't consider having preferences, liking one thing over another, to be snob-like, it's just personal preference.

Yeshanu
12-09-2008, 11:31 PM
I'm really curious--what's the one word that will drive you away? (Serious question, as it might help in constructing better queries.)

Shadow_Ferret
12-09-2008, 11:34 PM
I'm really curious--what's the one word that will drive you away?
*snert!*

Samantha's_Song
12-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Aw, hugs to you my little Ferret friend :Hug2:

Yeshanu... The dreaded word is 'fantasy'... I am going to be so bashed up now! :D

Shadow_Ferret
12-09-2008, 11:38 PM
Is it because you don't like fantasies at all?

Fantasy is a large genre, encompasses dark fantasy, urban fantasy, historical fantasy, heroic fantasy, epic fantasy, etc. and so on.

*slinks out since he's a "fantasy" writer*

Samantha's_Song
12-09-2008, 11:43 PM
Oh darling, don't slink out, please? :cry:

I love old fantasies, like Greek mythology, any old mythology actually, including the Bible and other religeous books. But I don't like stuff like LOTR etc. Okay, i love the films to that, but I just could not read the book... I tried many years ago. I'd also put sci-fi into this category too.

Is it because you don't like fantasies at all?

Fantasy is a large genre, encompasses dark fantasy, urban fantasy, historical fantasy, heroic fantasy, epic fantasy, etc. and so on.

*slinks out since he's a "fantasy" writer*

Yeshanu
12-09-2008, 11:43 PM
To each her own. (Serious answer here: If you don't like fantasy, you're wise not to crit it or queries about it. It's a wise person who knows what she likes, and a wiser one who knows what she doesn't like.)

So now I can answer your original question.

Of course you're a snob. ;)

*slinks out to join SF in writing more fantasy*

Yeshanu
12-09-2008, 11:44 PM

I love old fantasies, like Greek mythology, any old mythology actually, including the Bible and other religeous books. But I don't like stuff like LOTR etc. Okay, i love the films to that, but I just could read the book... I tried many years ago. I'd also put sci-fi into this category too.

You lost me there... :tongue

But you've probably guessed that already.

vixey
12-09-2008, 11:44 PM
To answer your question, I'm not a snob. I like to think I appreciate what others have to offer. I hope I welcome strangers as much as I like to be welcomed. I do have preferences in music, novel genres, foods, political leanings....but I don't think any of these make be snobby. And I know my tolerances of certain things. *shrugs* I think people come across as snobby when they refuse to expose themselves to someone else's interest on the basis of their own preconceived prejudices. :D

KikiteNeko
12-09-2008, 11:45 PM
Yes I am. Shamelessly. Kinda proud of it--perhaps too proud of it.

Shadow_Ferret
12-09-2008, 11:49 PM

I love old fantasies, like Greek mythology, any old mythology actually, including the Bible and other religeous books. But I don't like stuff like LOTR etc. Okay, i love the films to that, but I just could not read the book... I tried many years ago. I'd also put sci-fi into this category too.
Oh, good. I couldn't get more than a few paragraphs into LOTRs either. I did manage to make it through the Hobbit after about a dozen starts.

Samantha's_Song
12-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Sorry Yeshanu, but you did ask :tongue
The old mythology is just that, old, it kind of has a different feel to it. LOTR reminds me of a kid's story for grown-ups. Now I'm really going to get battered, aren't I :D

Shrugs... I already admitted I was a snob :tongue
Strangers has nothing to do with it though, I treat everyone the same; it's my Polish/Russian heritage, a secret commie, nah more like a pinko, I love the colour pink! LOL :D

To answer your question, I'm not a snob. I like to think I appreciate what others have to offer. I hope I welcome strangers as much as I like to be welcomed. I do have preferences in music, novel genres, foods, political leanings....but I don't think any of these make be snobby. And I know my tolerances of certain things. *shrugs* I think people come across as snobby when they refuse to expose themselves to someone else's interest on the basis of their own preconceived prejudices. :D

Samantha's_Song
12-09-2008, 11:56 PM
I can't say I'm proud of it, it's just the way I am and I know I won't change :)

Yes I am. Shamelessly. Kinda proud of it--perhaps too proud of it.

Yeshanu
12-09-2008, 11:59 PM
Sorry Yeshanu, but you did ask :tongue

That's true, I did. And now I know not to ask you for a crit. So my purpose in asking was served. :)

And as far as liking/disliking LotR is concerned, it's a book that speaks to me, much as Pachelbel's Canon does, music-wise.

But I'm not a snob in that I can and do make friends with no taste in books or music. :tongue

selkn.asrai
12-10-2008, 12:09 AM
I am a snob!

Actually, I've been upgraded by my a number of my friends to an "elitist". Especially when it comes to literature (if people at work ask my opinion about books I disdain, I tell them I'm a snot and they won't like my opinion. Most times, they laugh and we happily part ways after talking about what we both like, instead of what we don't.) But my elitism also applies to movies, art, music and what I like to do in my off hours.

So, hi! I am selkn.asrai, a shameless and self-admitted, elitist snob of snobbery. Elated to make your acquaintance. :P

Samantha's_Song
12-10-2008, 12:09 AM
LOL Me neither, I'm still good friends with people whose tastes I don't like. They must have one good quality about them though, especially if they like me :D

But I'm not a snob in that I can and do make friends with no taste in books or music. :tongue

Actually, I've just thought... I am very snobbish when it comes to reading material; I call the old Greek stuff mythology, but would never call modern day fantasy mythology. I also always used to love reading horror, which is really fantasy of a sort, isn't it. I wrte novels with romance in, not all of it is romance, but romance is fantasy in its own ways too.

JLCwrites
12-10-2008, 12:11 AM
I am a beer snob and a chocolate snob. The worst thing for you to do around me is drink a Coors and eat a box of Whitmans. EW!

Samantha's_Song
12-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Likewise, selkn.asrai, and welcome to the elitist snobbery club :)

So, hi! I am selkn.asrai, a shameless and self-admitted, elitist snob of snobbery. Elated to make your acquaintance. :P

Samantha's_Song
12-10-2008, 12:15 AM
I don't actually drink, only maybe the odd Bud here and there, well, about once a year. Okay, I know it's like piss-water, but I did say I don't drink :D

I am a beer snob and a chocolate snob. The worst thing for you to do around me is drink a Coors and eat a box of Whitmans. EW!

Yeshanu
12-10-2008, 12:17 AM
Actually, I've just thought... I am very snobbish when it comes to reading material; I call the old Greek stuff mythology, but would never call modern day fantasy mythology.

Mythology and modern day fantasy are two different things. A mythos is something to do with the supernatural that members of a specific culture or sub-culture believe to be true, whereas a fantasy story is known to be fiction right from the start.

While I desperately wish I could believe that elves are real and Middle Earth exists, they aren't and it isn't. :cry:

A fantasy story can, however, turn into a mythology, given enough believers. And example of this possibly developing is Star Wars -- apparently, in a recent British census, 2000 people listed "The Force" as their religion. While I doubt this will go anywhere, it does have that potential.

Mr Flibble
12-10-2008, 12:17 AM
Oh yeah. I'm a beer snob, and a cheese snob. Ahh Stilton. The king of cheese....

I'm hungry now.

Samantha's_Song
12-10-2008, 12:23 AM
Thank you, that sort of lets me off the hook with my mythology :)

I can honestly say, hand on heart, that I have never watched a Star Wars film, they don't interest me in the slightest.

Mythology and modern day fantasy are two different things. A mythos is something to do with the supernatural that members of a specific culture or sub-culture believe to be true, whereas a fantasy story is known to be fiction right from the start.

While I desperately wish I could believe that elves are real and Middle Earth exists, they aren't and it isn't. :cry:

A fantasy story can, however, turn into a mythology, given enough believers. And example of this possibly developing is Star Wars -- apparently, in a recent British census, 2000 people listed "The Force" as their religion. While I doubt this will go anywhere, it does have that potential.

Samantha's_Song
12-10-2008, 12:25 AM
LOL I used to like beer, many years ago. Cheese is an on/off thing for me, and it has to be very mild, otherwise I break out in a sweat all over my nose and cheeks lol.

Oh yeah. I'm a beer snob, and a cheese snob. Ahh Stilton. The king of cheese....

I'm hungry now.

Mr Flibble
12-10-2008, 12:26 AM
apparently, in a recent British census, 2000 people listed "The Force" as their religion.

Either under the misguided notion that if enough people did so it would have to be recognised as a religion ( a popular urban myth, but it would be awesome, no?), or just to pee off the census takers :D

PattiTheWicked
12-10-2008, 12:29 AM
Some people might call me a snob. I like to think I'm just discerning.

Samantha's_Song
12-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Me too then ;)

Some people might call me a snob. I like to think I'm just discerning.

HeronW
12-10-2008, 01:19 AM
My mom only read bios and such, my dad preferred detective and western genres. Personally I can't stand bodice-busters. Whatever suits you.

I've had to become a tad more tolerant here because the Eng. section in the library is rather limited. This isn't a bad thing, all in all, since I do find gems in other types of genres and I don't have to spend money on books I'd read once then let sit.

Samantha's_Song
12-10-2008, 04:20 AM
I, myself, didn't come from a family of readers. My dad was from Poland and only ever read the English Sunday newspapers, although looking back at it now, I doubt he ever read them properly. My mum only ever read knitting patterns, but thankfully she taught me to read long before I started school. My lust for books, when I was very young, was always for horror and mythology, although I don't read either of those genres now, it's mostly non-fiction for me these days.

robeiae
12-10-2008, 04:23 AM
Are you a snob?

Yes.

But I have damn good reasons to be one.

Susie
12-10-2008, 04:24 AM
I'm definitely not a snob, but my sister sure is. She'll only wear certain designer names and only the very best of everything will do. We're total opposites. :)

kalel32
12-10-2008, 04:27 AM
Not even close to snob.

Clio
12-10-2008, 04:35 AM
Phew - tough one. I know I'm not a social snob, but I am definitely an intellectual snob. I admit to this almost as one admits to being an alcoholic. It's not cricket, chaps, but if it's within ones nature, well, what can one do? I don't consider social position the yardstick, but education and - erm - a brain.

Sometimes you feel almost ashamed to admit that certain books are just 'not up to the mark'. A friend of mine (not as snobby as me) once said to me that certain titles in popular fiction were 'books written by people who couldn't write, for people who couldn't read'. I can't remember the particular authors she listed, but I know I sort of agreed at the time. Thankfully, I have become more enlightened and tolerant since then - the more so as I realise that no matter how long I slog I will never be an author of the calibre of Austen or Hardy. Nor could I ever act like Vanessa Redgrave, nor sing like Elizabeth Scwarzkopf. I do suffer from 'classicism' and I have to work very hard to overcome it.

But thankfully, after 50 years on this earth, I have now learned to embrace popular culture with as much enthusiasm as high culture. Just don't ever offer me a copy of 'The Sun' newspaper to read. I might just take it to the bathroom, as it's only suitable for one purpose. (NB to our Transatlantic Cousins - 'The Sun' is similar to your 'National Enquirer', I believe.)

So, now that you all know I'm a horrible, grumpy old person, I shall go and make penance by watching a really bad soap opera. :)

scarletpeaches
12-10-2008, 04:38 AM
If having standards makes me a snob, so be it. I'm a snob.

Usually the ones who call me on it are...well, classless, illiterate peons.

Feiss
12-10-2008, 04:51 AM
*sniffs at this thread as it is clearly beneath her*

Unique
12-10-2008, 05:10 AM
Yes.
But I have damn good reasons to be one.

If having standards makes me a snob, so be it. I'm a snob.
Usually the ones who call me on it are...well, classless, illiterate peons.

Basically.

Beach Bunny
12-10-2008, 05:41 AM
I was going to post in here, but I don't hang out with elitist snobs. *sticks nose in the air*

;)

Silver King
12-10-2008, 06:37 AM
Snobbishness is an acquired characteristic that takes many years of hard work to hone properly. In other words, by the time you realize I'm a snob, I've spent most of my life analyzing and rejecting most of the bullshit you're trying to jam down my throat.

Snob, hell. I've just lived long enough to know better...

Shaun M
12-10-2008, 06:53 AM
I had to look it up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snob

I try not to be but I can be very reactive. I have learned to say I am sorry very quickly. :)