PDA

View Full Version : In case anybody's interested, I'll probably quit my job.

KikiteNeko
12-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Why? You may ask.

Because my boss is an a-hole. And I don't mean he's like "yeeeeah, I'll need those TPS reports ASAP, and um.... yeeeah." I mean that enduring his crap is like if you fell down a mine shaft and caught your eye on a jagged nail on your way down, only to find that the mine shaft was full of hungry octipi who have razor sharp teeth as a result of the radioactive waste that is now coursing its way into your new Timberlands. And also, you were late making your student loan payments that month.

For starters, I'm a temp here. I was supposed to become permanent after three months, as stated by the contract with the temp agency. I have now been here for--count 'em--six months. I have talked to my boss several times, only to be told "yeah yeah, I'll get back to you tomorrow."

I would just quit, but I'm helping out a coworker who is on maternity leave and really needs me to help her with her usual work so she can care for her baby. And by the way, even though she's at home on maternity, my wonderful boss still calls her to do things she shouldn't have to do.

Here is just one of the many fun anecdotes I have to share:

Now mind you, I'm a receptionist. That means typing, faxing, boring dull stuff like that. But he also treats me like his personal travel agent, which WOULD BE FINE if he could be respectful and also not change his mind and make me cancel the arrangements a hundred times per flight. Last week he had me book a flight. He wasn't 100% sure he wanted it, so he told me to hold it. I told him that airline doesn't let me "hold" a flight, but that I could book it, and we would have 24 hours to cancel it without penalties. He said "okay, do that, and make sure you remind me" because apparently I'm his mommy and need to remind him of things he should really be on top of anyway.

So whatever. I told him several times, and also wrote him two emails to remind him about it. I even said "We have until 10:30 AM to cancel this flight without fees, otherwise THERE WILL BE FEES" It's IN WRITING that I did this.

Yesterday, after like, five days of not making a decision, he gives me a whole new schedule (vaguely thought out, of course) of what he wants to do. So I asked him, "would you like me to cancel your other flight then?" to which he says, no joke, "what flight?"

So I proceed to remind him that I booked him a flight and he had 24 hours to cancel it. And he gets all PISSED off, and starts grabbing his forehead and shaking his head in disgust at me like I'm totally incompetent, and he says "Do me a favor, next time, TELL me when you're going to do something like this." And then for the rest of the day he gave me the cold shoulder, and the "I'm so disappointed" look my parents would give me when I was three and snuck a cookie from the jar. But that didn't stop him from asking me to do all but powder his cushy white tooshie for the rest of the day.

Just thought I'd share that. Thanks for listening if you're still here.

Yeshanu
12-09-2008, 07:43 PM
First off, your employer is not the company, it's the temp agency. Have you gone to them about the "three month" thing? They can and should start pushing from their end. Also, they should be able to counsel you on how to handle your immature boss.

Second, while your boss is definitely an a-hole, I would suggest you not quit until you have another job lined up. He hasn't crossed the line to abusive yet -- I'd just label him terminally immature. You've been at that place three months, which is going to leave a bit of a hole in your resume if you leave the job off it, and going to raise questions if you put it on.

I don't know how big the company you're working for is, but if it's big enough, you might start looking for a transfer position, instead of a totally new job. Not only is it easier that way, you'll also retain what little seniority you have.

Good luck to you!

HeronW
12-09-2008, 07:44 PM
The man sounds like an ass who's responsibility quotient ends at his nose. Contact the temp agy for another opening--this doesn't sound like a place you want to make full time.

Make a list of companies and folks you've contacted while you were there and send out feelers for a new position.

Copy anything good--emails thanking you for a job well done, emails by satisfied customers, etc to bolster your worth when you look for something else.

Giving the asshat boss copies of the warning emails, using those double copy messages --so that you have a copy of what you told him and hilight the dates etc will prove he's the one with the problem.

If there's any chance of him being a decent person vs not, go in and talk to him about the duties you were assigned, the extra work you do, the lack of follow-through on his part, and your refusal to take the blame for his lack of attention.

Be cool, be clear, use small words.

Ask what should you have done since the 10 written and vocal messages and 2-4 emails on the subject of the cancellation were ignored. You certainly do not want to have the company spending money inappropriately.

Here's me being kind... the boss may be stressed from other stuff, he may have ADD, be on medication, have bipolar dysfuntion, be an alcoholic/addict, or he may be a bastard you'd be better off without.

KikiteNeko
12-09-2008, 07:47 PM
First off, your employer is not the company, it's the temp agency. Have you gone to them about the "three month" thing? They can and should start pushing from their end. Also, they should be able to counsel you on how to handle your immature boss.

Second, while your boss is definitely an a-hole, I would suggest you not quit until you have another job lined up. He hasn't crossed the line to abusive yet -- I'd just label him terminally immature. You've been at that place three months, which is going to leave a bit of a hole in your resume if you leave the job off it, and going to raise questions if you put it on.

I don't know how big the company you're working for is, but if it's big enough, you might start looking for a transfer position, instead of a totally new job. Not only is it easier that way, you'll also retain what little seniority you have.

Good luck to you!

Thanks Yeshanu,

It's a very small company operated out of one small office. My boss owns the whole company. I have talked to the temp agency and they explained that, although my boss requested me on a "temporary to permanent after 3 months" period, there is no legal obligation for him to hire me. The temp agency has called for my boss, but he doesn't return the calls (I take his messages, so I know this).

He may not be abusive, but he does cross several lines. Next Tuesday there is a Christmas party that will be held in NYC, and I'm told that there is always a lot of drinking and the bus comes back around 4 AM, and attendance at work on Wednesday IS mandatory. Anyone who doesn't attend this party is fired... Now before you say "he can't fire you for not attending a Christmas party!" I assure you he can and has found ways in the past.

MoonWriter
12-09-2008, 07:48 PM
Good luck, Tomo. I know how it feels to work for an a-hole, but since I'm self-employed, I have only myself to blame. :)

Mr Flibble
12-09-2008, 07:49 PM
If there's any chance of him being a decent person vs not, go in and talk to him about the duties you were assigned, the extra work you do, the lack of follow-through on his part, and your refusal to take the blame for his lack of attention.

Be cool, be clear, use small words.

Ask what should you have done since the 10 written and vocal messages and 2-4 emails on the subject of the cancellation were ignored. You certainly do not want to have the company spending money inappropriately.

This

Otherwise spike his drink with double vodka shots at the party and see if he makes it in the next morning :D

KikiteNeko
12-09-2008, 07:52 PM
This

Otherwise spike his drink with double vodka shots at the party and see if he makes it in the next morning :D

Actually, last Christmas he put grain alcohol in a coworkers drink as a joke. I'm not kidding. She was sick for a week. I don't see why she didn't sue.

ETA: I have been warned by more than one coworker to "watch your drink closely" at this year's party. Assuming I go, I'm only drinking bottled water.

Mr Flibble
12-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Actually, last Christmas he put grain alcohol in a coworkers drink as a joke. I'm not kidding. She was sick for a week. I don't see why she didn't sue.

!!!!

Dear gods. Run away. Quickly ( but have another job lined up first). You don't need this guy in your life.

Yeshanu
12-09-2008, 07:55 PM
That clears things up a lot, tomo. In that case, I'd dust off your resume and get it out there. Also, as Heron said, ask for another assignment from the temp agency. It should be no big deal--you wanted a temp to perm assignment, and you didn't get one. And tell them about your boss, using facts instead of emotions (eg. what he actually did as opposed to, "This guy's an asshole.") They probably won't drop him as a client, but they should know what kind of an environment their employees are working in, because if there is abuse going on, they may be liable.

As for the Christmas party, I would personally make up a prior engagement that I couldn't get out of in order to not attend, if he says it's mandatory. He might fire you, but remember, you're not his employee. And tell the agency beforehand what his policy is on the Christmas party (including mandatory attendance at both it and work on Wednesday) and tell them you can't attend. That way, if he phones them requesting you not come back, they'll understand that it's not your fault.

Yeshanu
12-09-2008, 07:57 PM

That's not a case for a lawsuit--that's a case for criminal charges to be laid. Which I would, if the evidence pointed his way.

What Idiots said...

Captshady
12-09-2008, 08:00 PM
You're definitely better off without him, but it also sounds like his being an asshat isn't something you can't handle (I couldn't, personally). Given today's economy, I would definitely wait until I had another job before leaving this one. Things can get far far worse for you (no new timberlands, and no new ones in sight) to the point where you wish you were back at this job, being treated like crap by crap incarnate.

HeronW
12-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Buy some of that HOT green horseradish wasabi? used in Japanese sushi and slip it into a canape for him at the party.

Don't feel obligated to work because another employee's out pregnant! You are there to do a job not be a rug or a babysitter or a target for his assholism. (sp?)

Captshady
12-09-2008, 08:03 PM
I wouldn't go to the Christmas party and when asked about it the next day I'd say, "I thought it was mandatory for employees, not temps."

NeuroFizz
12-09-2008, 08:06 PM
If you are "required" to go to the Christmas party, does that mean you are on the payroll during said party?

KikiteNeko
12-09-2008, 08:06 PM
If you are "required" to go to the Christmas party, does that mean you are on the payroll during said party?

Nooope

NeuroFizz
12-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Since when does a boss have the right to tell an employee (temporary or permanent) how she can spend her off-the-payroll hours? This boss has shown no loyalty to you, so you owe him none in return.

Mr Flibble
12-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Since when does a boss have the right to tell an employee (temporary or permanent) how she can spend her off-the-payroll hours? This boss has shown no loyalty to you, so you owe him none in return.

Well here they don't have any right. They could not fire you for not going to a party. Course I don't know if it's any different there. Or maybe he's just throwing his weight around.

Bubastes
12-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Since when does a boss have the right to tell an employee (temporary or permanent) how she can spend her off-the-payroll hours?

It's quite common. That doesn't make it right, though.

KikiteNeko
12-09-2008, 08:15 PM
Well here they don't have any right. They could not fire you for not going to a party. Course I don't know if it's any different there. Or maybe he's just throwing his weight around.

It does happen a lot. Of course, that won't be the documented reason you were fired.

Captshady
12-09-2008, 08:26 PM
Yeah. Legally you're not allowed to fire anyone for missing work because of jury duty, but it happened to me. Texas is an "at will" state so you can get fired without cause or reason.

KikiteNeko
12-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Yeah. Legally you're not allowed to fire anyone for missing work because of jury duty, but it happened to me. Texas is an "at will" state so you can get fired without cause or reason.
And temps are "at will" employees. He could fire me because he doesn't like my socks.

Susie
12-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Gee, sorry you have that tomo. Much good luck. If you do quit, try to get a job beforehand.

Yeshanu
12-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Actually, he can't fire you at all. Only the temp agency can do that. But he can (and this goes even for Ontario, with relatively strong employment laws) say that he doesn't need you any more, then go to another temp agency and have someone new in there the next day.

I wouldn't go to the Christmas party and when asked about it the next day I'd say, "I thought it was mandatory for employees, not temps."

Love that reply! :D

ajkjd01
12-09-2008, 11:04 PM
Document, Document, Document!

Keep copies of all the emails you warned him about the plane ticket.

Keep records of all the things that he has said and done, and which employees were present at the time.

Keep copies of phone messages you've taken from the temp agency that he's failed to return.

Keep lists of all the weirdo requirements he's asked of you.

Make an appointment with the supervisor at the temp agency, and show them EVERYTHING and ask them how they wish you to handle the situation.

heyjude
12-09-2008, 11:05 PM
Ouch, tomo! What a jerk. Sorry you're going through this. I like the idea of spiking his drink with tabasco sauce... or worse. :)

Let us know how it all turns out.

RobJ
12-10-2008, 12:15 AM
Avoid the Christmas party, and find somewhere else to work.

Cheers,
Rob

Pomegranate
12-10-2008, 12:49 AM
I temped for 5 years and I had many horrible bosses*. Life is too short to have a sucky boss. As temp you owe this nitwit NO loyalty. You don't owe the woman on maternity leave anything either. Your desire to be loyal and do your best is a great testament to your integrity, but don't waste so much heart on idiots.

Update your resume today. Include this job. The temp agency is your rep, not the nitwit and if you are professional with them, you'll get a good reference.

Call your rep at the agency and set up a meeting face-to-face.
At the meeting, tell your rep (1) you want to give notice on this job, (2) that the company will probably need a replacement, (3) and you want a new assignment asap. Be calm and professional. You can tell her about the nitwit situation, but stick to facts not emotions!

Being "at will" works both ways. Yes, they can fire you, but you can quit anytime too. You don't need any more reason to leave than "this position is not a match for me".

The more agencies you are with, the better your odds of work. Even though the economy is bad, there are still jobs out there. Be confident!

Don't go to the party. You don't need the hassle and you're not a real employee. If you get fired, you are eligible for unemployment, even if you work for a temp agency. Honestly, I bet it would be a blessing in disguise.

*Now if you've read this far, I'll tell you a story about my worst temp-to-perm job. I had to work closely with a woman who came in my cube every day and yelled at me. I bent over backwards to try to make her happy even though she wasn't my boss. I finally asked my temp rep to work with the employer's HR person to mediate between us because she rejected EVERYTHING I offered to do and she refused to tell me what she wanted. She refused mediation. I gave notice. Even before my 2 weeks were up she'd had a meltdown and gone on medical leave. Her craziness had nothing to do with me. My professional behavior with the temp agency meant that I walked away with no blot on my record. This job is included on my resume BTW.

A few years later I wrote a NaNoWriMo novel about this crazy woman and several other nightmare bosses. I killed them all off gruesomely. It was very cathartic.

mario_c
12-10-2008, 01:31 AM
This is the beauty of temp work: you can call your rep and poke them for a different position at another company. That is their job, frankly. And there are lots of temp services (hell, are their any jobs out there that are NOT temp? Can't find one on the job search websites.)
Forcing employees to attend activities on non-working hours and then work overtired is not OK. If they're salaried, that's one thing, if you're hourly and aren't even on the payroll that's just weird. He's an idiot for thinking his staff can be productive on 3 hours sleep. But this is a guy who can't remember he's flying out of town on a business trip. And blames his employees for that.
Loser boss! Good luck!

Mario, who'd be in trouble if he had the least respect for his own Dilbertian job

Ken
12-10-2008, 02:31 AM
good advise and justified condemnation here.
A crummy boss is one thing but a lecherous one, quite something else.
Get out of there asap, and in the meantime practise targeted knee lifts ;-)

Shaun M
12-10-2008, 03:33 AM
Do what is right for you!

Think of this:

You go to work and have to put up with his crap all day.

He has to be with himself 24/7!

Ohh the humanity! :)

Stlight
12-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Tomo, my guess is the temp service already knows what a jerk their client your boss is. I'll bet that when you tell them to find another job asap, they'll say, 'wow, we've never had anyone stay with him that long."

He's probably keeping you as a temp to avoid the chance of workman's comp and your filing for unemployment if he fires you once you're perm. You think?

Stlight

KikiteNeko
12-10-2008, 04:35 PM
He's probably keeping you as a temp to avoid the chance of workman's comp and your filing for unemployment if he fires you once you're perm. You think?

Stlight

I think he's just incredibly cheap and doesn't want to pay me health insurance, which is the real reason I need a full time job--my health insurance went byebye a year after I graduated college. But from what I hear, he really fires anyone... he does all he can to make them quit. In one case, he told another female worker that he wanted her to become a sales person. (She's his permanent receptionist, the one on maternity leave). She refused to go into sales, insisting that reception is her job. But he made her go to a sales meeting--several states away, which means she had to fly there with him and the other salesmen. She's really pretty and we all think he did this because he thought clients would be more likely to buy our crap from someone who looks like her than someone who looks like our salesmen.

While there, she got a phone call that her father had a stroke. She broke into tears and said she had to go home. My boss ACCUSED HER OF LYING, and not only that, called the hospital to find out if her father was really there, and then refused to speak to her and generally was an asshole for about two months (this is before I was hired, she told me this story). She didn't quit, though, because she has an uncanny way of standing up for herself. In the time I've been there, I've seen him be a dick to others though. He took one of our salesmen into his office, left the door wide open, and proceeded to yell at him and curse him out for reasons that were not justified. He's a grade A coward.

Fraulein
12-10-2008, 10:55 PM
That would never happen where I work. I'm like your friend on maternity leave, because I, too, have an uncanny way of defending myself. To be fair though, I'm in a convenient little position where I'm the only intern and just about the only employee who comes to work on time and as scheduled. The two old farts, who I work for, wouldn't know what to do with themselves if I quit, because they wouldn't have a go-to, Mini-Me person.
However, even if I didn't hold the reigns for myself, I wouldn't back down from saying "no" to some lame, off-the-clock Christmas party. That's just wrong for your boss to expect you to be there. What if you're Jewish or a Jehovah's Witness or atheist or whatever?

If you can strengthen your defense mechanism, then stick with your job as long as you are willing or until you have another form of employment. If your boss rarely fires people, then I would say that you have a fairly secure job in such a crappy economy.

KikiteNeko
12-10-2008, 10:57 PM
That's just wrong for your boss to expect you to be there. What if you're Jewish or a Jehovah's Witness or atheist or whatever?

That's so funny, because I just happen to be an athiestic Jew who once witnessed a Jehovah.

Fraulein
12-10-2008, 11:13 PM
That's so funny, because I just happen to be an athiestic Jew who once witnessed a Jehovah.You're a temp, an atheistic Jew, and a witness of a Jehovah. Perfect! :) Now your boss has nothing to retaliate with.

KikiteNeko
12-10-2008, 11:17 PM
You're a temp, an atheistic Jew, and a witness of a Jehovah. Perfect! :) Now your boss has nothing to retaliate with.

I should walk into a bar.

benbradley
12-11-2008, 12:10 AM
He may not be abusive,
Maybe you only define abusive as meaning "causes bruises" but what I've read so far is without a doubt verbal and emotional abuse.

but he does cross several lines. Next Tuesday there is a Christmas party that will be held in NYC, and I'm told that there is always a lot of drinking and the bus comes back around 4 AM, and attendance at work on Wednesday IS mandatory. Anyone who doesn't attend this party is fired... Now before you say "he can't fire you for not attending a Christmas party!" I assure you he can and has found ways in the past.
Have you told the temp agency this?

ETA: I have been warned by more than one coworker to "watch your drink closely" at this year's party. Assuming I go, I'm only drinking bottled water.
HAVE YOU TOLD THE TEMP AGENCY THIS?

Have you told the judge this? I went to jury duty a month ago. The judge was quite interesting, but also, a few days later he sent a "thank you" note for being on jury duty, and THEN he sent a "Happy Thanksgiving" card. I'm sure it wasn't just me, there were about 60 people in the jury pool. I wasn't fired (I 'work for myself') but if I had been I wouldn't hesitate to tell him about it and ask what I should do. I get the feeling he would direct me to the best lawyer in town...

I think he's just incredibly cheap and doesn't want to pay me health insurance, which is the real reason I need a full time job--my health insurance went byebye a year after I graduated college. But from what I hear, he really fires anyone... he does all he can to make them quit. In one case, he told another female worker that he wanted her to become a sales person. (She's his permanent receptionist, the one on maternity leave). She refused to go into sales, insisting that reception is her job. But he made her go to a sales meeting--several states away, which means she had to fly there with him and the other salesmen. She's really pretty and we all think he did this because he thought clients would be more likely to buy our crap from someone who looks like her than someone who looks like our salesmen.

While there, she got a phone call that her father had a stroke. She broke into tears and said she had to go home. My boss ACCUSED HER OF LYING, and not only that, called the hospital to find out if her father was really there, and then refused to speak to her and generally was an asshole for about two months (this is before I was hired, she told me this story). She didn't quit, though, because she has an uncanny way of standing up for herself. In the time I've been there, I've seen him be a dick to others though. He took one of our salesmen into his office, left the door wide open, and proceeded to yell at him and curse him out for reasons that were not justified. He's a grade A coward.
Have you told the temp agency... I'd want to tell them "This place is just plain abusive. I'm really close to the end of my rope here, you can get me another job or not, but just so you know, I'm not working here much longer."

KikiteNeko
12-15-2008, 06:28 PM
My boss isn't the only one on my shit list right now.

We've had this running problem with mice. Now, granted, if there was a mouse in my home I would want my cats to mutilate it. That's just nature. Mice are nutritious for cats, and it's the circle of life. But if I didn't have cats, I'd opt for a humane trap. Yes, I'm one of those weirdos who thinks that even the little meeses deserve to live. In fact I once had a spider living on my ceiling for a week before he disappeared one day. Live and let live = words to live by.

My coworkers don't share that philosophy. Our office is right by the woods and we have a warehouse that is open for much of the day, so all sorts of critters scamper on in. My coworker has been buying these lame plastic traps that don't really catch the mice at all. Sometimes when nobody's looking, I set them off with my shoe so that the mice will get to live another day longer.

On Friday, my coworker was dumb enough to leave a coffee mug with a quarter-inch of cream on his desk over the weekend. Naturally on Monday he found little mouse terds in it. When you have mice, what are you thinking, leaving something like that out? Anyway, he bought the hardcore mouse traps with the metal snaps that will seriously mess me up if I try to stop them with my shoe. So all I asked, ALL I ASKED, was that he put them where I won't see it. Behind a trash can or in the warehouse or even under his desk would have been fine by me. But what does he do? He leaves it right. in. the. middle of the floor. So what's the FIRST thing I see this morning when I go to pour my hot chocolate?

Yeah. I can't get the image out of my head of that little thing going for a snack and having its head lobbed off. I don't know whether to throw up or cry. I know it's no big deal for some, but it's upsetting to me. Do we really live in a society where it's just assumed no one will be bothered by a dead animal on the floor?

RobJ
01-02-2009, 02:48 AM
Just wondered, how did this work out in the end?

Cheers,
Rob

willfulone
01-02-2009, 03:34 AM
Why? You may ask.

Because my boss is an a-hole. And I don't mean he's like "yeeeeah, I'll need those TPS reports ASAP, and um.... yeeeah." I mean that enduring his crap is like if you fell down a mine shaft and caught your eye on a jagged nail on your way down, only to find that the mine shaft was full of hungry octipi who have razor sharp teeth as a result of the radioactive waste that is now coursing its way into your new Timberlands. And also, you were late making your student loan payments that month.

I always wondered where Mike K. relocated to...nice to know the air is fresher in WI for his having moved to your state.

I am assuming here. But, yeah, this sounds like working for Mikie.

Hang in girl! Til you get something better. And really? Go get something better - why would you wish to be saddled there anyway? Knowing those octipi are nipping at your ankles?

I say there HAS to, just HAS to be something better out there for you and will keep a good thought you find it - AND SOON!

Christine

willfulone
01-02-2009, 03:37 AM
My boss isn't the only one on my shit list right now.

We've had this running problem with mice. Now, granted, if there was a mouse in my home I would want my cats to mutilate it. That's just nature. Mice are nutritious for cats, and it's the circle of life. But if I didn't have cats, I'd opt for a humane trap. Yes, I'm one of those weirdos who thinks that even the little meeses deserve to live. In fact I once had a spider living on my ceiling for a week before he disappeared one day. Live and let live = words to live by.

My coworkers don't share that philosophy. Our office is right by the woods and we have a warehouse that is open for much of the day, so all sorts of critters scamper on in. My coworker has been buying these lame plastic traps that don't really catch the mice at all. Sometimes when nobody's looking, I set them off with my shoe so that the mice will get to live another day longer.

On Friday, my coworker was dumb enough to leave a coffee mug with a quarter-inch of cream on his desk over the weekend. Naturally on Monday he found little mouse terds in it. When you have mice, what are you thinking, leaving something like that out? Anyway, he bought the hardcore mouse traps with the metal snaps that will seriously mess me up if I try to stop them with my shoe. So all I asked, ALL I ASKED, was that he put them where I won't see it. Behind a trash can or in the warehouse or even under his desk would have been fine by me. But what does he do? He leaves it right. in. the. middle of the floor. So what's the FIRST thing I see this morning when I go to pour my hot chocolate?

Yeah. I can't get the image out of my head of that little thing going for a snack and having its head lobbed off. I don't know whether to throw up or cry. I know it's no big deal for some, but it's upsetting to me. Do we really live in a society where it's just assumed no one will be bothered by a dead animal on the floor?

Ah young tomothecat...let an old bird teach you sumtin.

A pen or pencil? Will get caught in that trap and spring it just as well as a nice little mouse.

So, you COULD, um let a pen or pencil get "caught" in his trap and let him discover his "find." I imagine he will be, um...proud to have caught such a ferocious "beast" as that?

Christine

KikiteNeko
01-02-2009, 04:31 AM
Just wondered, how did this work out in the end?

Cheers,
Rob

Oh, well, I was planning to just suck it up and go to the party, but he was being a real jerk to me that week. Something to do with flights again, and I just said f**k it and made up an excuse not to go. From what I hear the bus broke down, some drunk girl crashed the party and, while the men had fun, my female coworkers tell me it was a nightmare.

But he did cut me a bonus check, which is surprising considering he still hasn't made a move to hire me, so I'm not that mad at him anymore. For now.

Yeshanu
01-02-2009, 04:36 AM
Extra money always helps...

At least until the next episode of stupidity.

Christine, I like your thinking. :)

Fraulein
01-02-2009, 04:49 AM
But he did cut me a bonus check, which is surprising considering he still hasn't made a move to hire me, so I'm not that mad at him anymore. For now.Good for you! You didn't have to go to the party, and you got a bonus check!

A little wit and a hard shell goes a long well... It really does!

KikiteNeko
01-27-2009, 06:34 PM
These happen so rarely in my life that I'm dumbfounded about what to do. It's a bit long so thanks to anyone who reads through it and offers their .02.

Here's the situation:

I work at a small company with about 20 employees total and about 5 who work in my actual office building. The people here are nice but, as in any office, can be two-faced and even rude sometimes.

I'm employed through the temp agency and told the temp agency last week that I'd like to be reassigned, because this place promised me a permanent job after 3 months and it's now been 7 months... Nothing personal, I said, I just need health insurance. So now I'm just hanging around until I get reassigned, which could be a day or a month, who knows.

In my time here, one of our new sales guys quit. I saw how unfairly my boss treated him. Nobody ever trained him and when he asked for help, they turned him away and told him to figure it out himself. He was 25, barely older than I am, and new to the sales game, and he was really struggling. Eventually my boss told him that if he couldn't close a $1million sale by December (this was in November), he was fired. Of course he couldn't do that, and he turned in his resignation on the hopes that he could leave here on a good note.

The company is supposed to give him two weeks of employment after resignation, as per our own policy. But it's a small company that my boss owns and he basically does whatever he wants. So they told him it's been fun, but see ya. Well he was owed two weeks payment that he never got.

Today I come into the office and I have a hand-written letter that my boss would like me to type up. It's concerning the sales guy I just mentioned above. Apparently he put in a complaint with the state about the way his termination was handled and the payment he's owed. (And speaking as someone who was screwed out of health insurance by this place, I can attest to my boss' lack of business ethics). Anyway, my boss wrote a really nasty letter to the state calling said ex-sales guy a liar, and he really over-embellished the details where he didn't blatantly lie.

I'm going to type up the letter, because it's my job. But here's my dilemma. Should I tell the ex-sales guy? He was always really nice to me, and I don't think the things in this letter are fair, and I know some of them aren't true. He and I still keep in touch on occassion, not a friend exactly but a friendly aquaintance. We IM and facebook.

I don't even know if telling him what this letter says will DO anything, I just know if it were me I'd want to know. Or will the person handling his case tell him that? If it gets out that I showed him this, would I be arrested or sued?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-27-2009, 06:40 PM
It's a breach of ethics on your part to share the contents of privileged communication between your boss and anyone else. If you share the information with the saleman, he will likely betray your action simply by his actions and the boss will know where the leak came from. Having been in Human Resources for so many years, I know how difficult it is for someone with inside knowledge to keep his teeth together, but it's what you have to do.

ETA: I'm going to go find the last post from your work saga and combine the two... hold on.

veinglory
01-27-2009, 06:41 PM
This is just my 2c. You need to type the letter and hold it confidential from the guy. However you can send you own letter spelling out the real facts as you know them, and ask that it be held confidential by the recipient agency.

KosseMix
01-27-2009, 06:41 PM
If it were me, I would tell him and write another letter to the state bringing their attention to the lies in the letter your boss is sending -- and give that letter to the ex-sales guy so he has proof of this mistreatment.

Judging from the responses above, it's probably a bad decision on my part, but I really dislike mistreatment in the workplace.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-27-2009, 06:43 PM
And here it is... merging...

C.bronco
01-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Get another job first. It's not pretty out there right now.

Captshady
01-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Get another job first. It's not pretty out there right now.

Great advice!

Yeshanu
01-27-2009, 07:12 PM
If I were in your position, I'd do exactly what veinglory has suggested. And don't tell the sales guy, as much as you want to. That would definitely be a breach of ethics.

I might also consider, at that particular point, telling the boss to screw himself and learn how to type. I know getting a new job won't be easy, but I've been in the position of having to do something unethical in order to keep my job, and made exactly that choice.

And do tell the temp agency--not the specifics, but that you were being asked to do something that you could not, in good conscience do, i.e. lie about another employee to the state.

Beach Bunny
01-27-2009, 07:19 PM
You can write your own letter to the state supporting the person who got let go. And ask that your letter be kept confidential. Or you could call them on the phone, but not from work, and tell them what is going on. Whistle blowing to the appropriate authorities is not a breach of ethics. However, considering your situation and the state of the economy, you want to cover your butt as much as possible, if you do that. :)