Gmail problems with my queries

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
I have sent a number of queries to mags, e-mags and even newspapers for article ideas. I got back nary a reply. After waiting, I tried to find these sent emails on my Gmail account, but they are NOWHERE to be found. Worse, the editors' email addresses are not on my contact list.

I find it odd that, out of the dozens of queries I sent out, only a few editors ever responded.

I tried to follow up on the others but no luck in finding those darn sent emails. I did track down ONE query sent, only to be told that the magazine was no longer.

What gives? Has anybody else had this problem with their e-mailed queries?

Laurie PK

Fulltime blogger & freelance writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theadventurouswriter.com
It's hard to know if your email ever makes it through, unless you have that option of "notifiy when opened" or whatever. I definitely don't hear from every editor I pitch to! I don't think they have time to respond to them all -- even a quick "thanks but no thanks" may take too many minutes, after you add them all up!

So.....I don't know what the answer is! Just that you can probably expect to hear from far fewer than you pitch to.

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
galaktio-nova.blogspot.com
This is really weird because I use gmail too. One thing I can think of is that somehow they ended up in the Drafts and thus never got sent. It happened to me a couple of times.

By the way, if you try to archive a sent message and then delete the original in the Sent file, the archived copy will disappear, too. You just can't archive sent messages. I'm very unhappy with Gmail as far as this is concerned.

The only way I can see around it is forward all your gmail messages to Outlook Express and archive it there. I suggest you do it in the future.

But I agree with Laurie, quite a few editors don't even bother to answer if they're not interested.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Be aware, too, that when you receive a reply and have a gmail icon in your toolbar, it does not reliably tell you there's new mail. I caused a problem this past week not replying to repeated requests for information from an editor, and I felt like I came off as totally unprofessional, all because I didn't open my gmail because it didn't show any new mail.

Maryn, older and wiser

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Really, Maryn? Mine always pops up within 15 minutes of getting a new email, and sometimes less.

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have a funny feeling there's something wrong with Gmail just lately. I've sent out several important letters and haven't received a single answer. It's not possible that all those people, some of whom are my friends, just didn't bother to answer my quite important and urgent mail, all of them at once.

Also, normally I would get at least 40 spam messages a day, sometimes up to a 100, and now I get 1 or 2 a day, sometimes none. I'm quite happy, but still, this is really weird. :)

Ms Hollands

Cow lover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lefrancophoney.com
Hmm, yeah, I've been getting a lot less spam too. I've also missed a few e-mails that were sent to me but never arrived, as well as some I've sent that never arrived (some went into the spam folder for the recipient; some just never arrived).

Not so good...

Cory Emberson

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't found that GMail tool to be that reliable. I added my Gmail profile to my offline reader (Thunderbird), and now it gets picked up every minute, just like my Earthlink mail and my domain's mail. Much better.

Cade

Registered
Reaction score
I have a funny feeling there's something wrong with Gmail just lately. I've sent out several important letters and haven't received a single answer. It's not possible that all those people, some of whom are my friends, just didn't bother to answer my quite important and urgent mail, all of them at once.

Also, normally I would get at least 40 spam messages a day, sometimes up to a 100, and now I get 1 or 2 a day, sometimes none. I'm quite happy, but still, this is really weird. :)

I've had the exact same thing happen recently. I'd sent out over a dozen emails over a two day period and didn't receive a single reply. I'd considered it possible that it was just a case of no one replying, but during that time (about a week), none of the newsletters I subscribe to came through either.

I switched to using the email attached to my domain. I like gmail for the most part, but I can't afford to have emails go missing!

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I had a problem with another company a few years ago, so I sent a hundred numbered emails to myself over 24 hours. I was shocked at the loss rate.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm maybe they instituted a new spam filter or something? I use gmail too and have noticed I have missed a few replies. Does anyone know if google has a support forum for Gmail? If not they really should make one...

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oops, sounds too bad. Time to go back to yahoo. :) Never had problems with them, and you can archive everything.

The only problem with them for me is, they charge for forwarding and that's something I won't have (why should I?), so I can't redirect it to my Outlook Express.

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've just discovered a terrible problem with Gmail and I intend to go there and complain about it. I can't understand how they haven't noticed it before???

If somebody sends you an email with an attachment to your Gmail address and you stupidly click "reply" to answer it without downloading the attachment first, once your reply is sent, the attachment is lost forever! Gmail somehow modifies email chains (when you keep writing to each other just by clicking "reply") so that all attachments get lost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just can't believe such crass stupidity. I've lost an attachment today simply because I answered the sender without first downloading (or opening) the attachment she sent me. BEWARE!!! :)

scriptor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Yea, I have gmail, yahoo and hotmail and I have to say that I prefer yahoo and hotmail over the gmail. There has been too many lost emails and such just like what everone has said ..... though I did not realize the attachment thing that Fresie said about lossing attachments if you don't open them.

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've just received an email from an editor asking why I'm not replying to their emails as they want to accept my article. @@##$$%^!!! Can you imagine??

I'm VERY angry now.