Have a Good Apple Pie Recipe

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
The apples where I work have been looking so good and they are presently on sale. I've never made an apple pie before and was wondering do any of you fine folk have a good recipe. If it's possible to cheat with a store bought crust, I'd really like that. I'm all for easy. :D

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You want easy, see my sig. Srsly.

(The Awesomesauce)

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I don't have pie... but this was Mom's absolute *favorite* homemade cake. It's easy... it's delicious... and it's guaranteed to stir up a lot of good memories over a cup of hot coffee or a glass of milk. I double the Lemon Sauce recipe - we like a lot of sauce. And if you've got apples that are almost past eating, they'll be perfect for this recipe - even if they're a bit soft and the peal is beginning to look a little shriveled.

Preheat oven to 350º. Spray 9"X13" baking dish with Pam. Then,
for Cake, mix:

1 1/2 C Sugar
½ C Butter (1 Cube)
2 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla

Then add:

1 1/2 C Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
¼ tsp Salt
1 tsp Cinnamon
3 C Cubed Apples

Spread batter in baking dish - yes, 'spread'. This is hardly a 'batter'... it's very thick. The apples provide most of the moisture.

Bake for 45 minutes. Serve warm or cold with Lemon Sauce:

Mix:

¼ C Flour
1 C Sugar

Add:

2 C Boiling Water
1 tbsp Vinegar

Stir until thickened. Leave on heat and add:

¼ C Butter
2 tsp Vanilla
2 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My Mom made the best apple pie in the world, and I've never been able to do it. BUT, the Pillsbury crusts in the red box (refrigerated case at the store) are just fine. As soon as P started putting those out, Mom stopped making scratch crust. It is a lot of hard work to make a good scratch crust.

MM

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
I make apple (and other fruit/berry) pie often and I don't really have an exact recipe - so much depends on the type, amount and sweetness of the fruit and size of crust.

(Btw pies are kind of messy (or maybe it's just my cooking) but they often bubble over so you may want to put some foil in the bottom of your oven underneath your pan. Sticky sugary fruit juices make a heck of a mess.)

1 (or 2) pie crusts
aprox 6 apples peeled and chopped
aprox 1/2 cup of brown sugar
aprox 2 Tbs of flour
pinch salt
1 tsp or more of cinnamon
dash cloves
butter if using top crust

Preheat oven to 425. Pile in pie shell and dot with a bit of butter, place second pie shell on top, wet edges of bottom shell slightly, then pinch top shell into place. Vent with small knife slashes or fork. With a bit of milk or cream paint top and sprinkle with sugar. Place in oven for 15 minutes, then lower heat to 350 and continue cooking til crust is golden, apple juices bubble thru vents - aprox 40 or more minutes. *note* if crust is getting too brown, you can cover edges with foil.

If you don't wish to have a top crust you can sprinkle streusel on top and then bake.

Streusel topping

Aprox 3/4 cup of flour
aprox 1/2 cup of packed brown sugar
aprox 1/4 cup of cold butter (or margarine) cut into pieces
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Mix dry ingredients together, then with a pastry cutter or fork cut in the cold butter pieces into the mix til about the size of small peas. Sprinkle on top and bake, til the pie starts to bubble juice near/in the middle.

Last edited:

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Thanks everyone. OFG that cake recipe sound like my mother's Raw Apple Cake recipe, except with nuts. I remember spooning it into the cake pan. Great cake though.

Tellytubbies.....I don't even know where I could get a video from. It might be amusing though since I've never watched them. :D

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Mom cut that one out of the paper before I was born. I remember it, all splattered with vanilla and yellow with age, stuck to the inside of her kitchen pantry door. It finally dissolved into dust at some point, but not before I'd copied it down to establish my own collection of recipes.

Then, after my father-in-law died, I inherited my mother-in-laws recipes (she'd passed in '75 of breast cancer), and there in her collection was the same cake - almost - from HER mother! Here it is, just as she wrote it:

Jonnie Lee's Fresh Apple Cake

This is good iced with icing like you make for a German Chocolate Cake.

2 Cups Sugar
1 Cup Butter

Mix. Add:

4 Eggs, one at a time.

Beat until smooth. Add:

1 ½ Cups flour (Sifted three times.)
½ Tsp. Nutmeg
1 Tsp. Cinnamon
1 Tsp. Apple Pie Spices
1 Tsp. Soda
½ Cup Water
1 Tsp. Vanilla

Put in dry ingredients and mix well.

2 Large Cups raw apples chopped fine
1 cup pecans
1 cup raisins

Bake in large pan or loaf as desired.

She didn't say what to set the oven at or how long to bake it... we're supposed to know that stuff. :D I do it at 350 for about 45 minutes - 'til the toothpick comes out clean.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Another apple cake

Got this one from Mom, it has been around since at least the forties.

4C raw apples, diced not too fine
1C brown sugar
1C white sugar
2 eggs beaten with 1/2 C oil
1C chopped nuts
1C raisins
2 teaspoons vanilla

Mix all that together well

2 teaspoons cinnamon
2C flour
2 teaspoons baking soda

Sift those together, then add to wet mixture. It makes a really thick batter.

Bake 1 hour at 325F in a large rectangular pan (9X13). I spray the pan first.

As a side note, if you toss the apples, nuts and raisins in the flour mixture BEFORE adding in the wet ingrediants it helps them stay mixed throughout rather than sinking to the bottom. I have written it above as Mom gave it to me, but I do the flour thing first.

MM

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
You could always go with a nice apple crisp! Sometimes I like that better than pie. I've got a recipe for that and a Swedish apple pie my mom makes that requires only a top crust.

Last edited:

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
I find adding a little bit of fresh ginger to the apples gives it a lovely flavor. I prefer that to cinnamon.