Vegetarian cookbook

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Any one have any recommendations? I have an acquaintance I want to do something nice for. She is a fish eating vegetarian. I thought perhaps a nice cookbook.

MM

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
Try The Moosewood Cookbook and The Enchanted Broccoli Forest, both by Mollie Katzen. She has several others out that are good as well, all from a vegetarian or semivegetarian perspective.

agfleenor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
angelafleenor.tumblr.com
I completely agree with the "Vegan with a Vengeance" cookbook. I'm not a vegan or a vegetarian, but I love the cookbook. They also have a book called "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World," that contains the most delicious cupcake recipes ever.

The people who do those cookbooks really know their stuff.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
My favorites are "How to Cook Everything Vegetarian" by Mark Bittman (a good all-purpose cookbook) and "World Vegetarian" by Madhur Jaffrey (for something more exotic). "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone" by Deborah Madison is also a classic.

Fraulein

Spooks? Where are you?...
Registered
Reaction score
If I were to tell you, then that would be cheating
I completely agree with the "Vegan with a Vengeance" cookbook. I'm not a vegan or a vegetarian, but I love the cookbook. They also have a book called "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World," that contains the most delicious cupcake recipes ever.

The people who do those cookbooks really know their stuff.
I know. :) Her spanikopita recipe is awesome! It calls for tofu, instead of feta, but feta could easily be used.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Understanding vegetables, and how they work in cooking, is as important as any cookbook. This is one of the things I like most about Alton Brown, the least pretentious of the TV celeb chefs; he explains food ingredients and how they work when cooked better than anybody. So, cooking vegetarian is totally involved in what individual vegetables do when cooked under various circumstances (most people overcook vegetables, in the assumption you can just toss 'em in with the meat). Plus, there are a multitude of vegetables and herbs you might not think of, that are fabulous in all kinds of veg dishes (tomatillos, lotus root, mirliton/chayote, girasole, salsify, skirret, parsley root, chervil, etc.) You can actually get a lot of useful information on such things from non-vegetarian cookbooks.

caw

Last edited: