It's king cake, not beef cake

Fraulein

Spooks? Where are you?...
Registered
Reaction score
If I were to tell you, then that would be cheating
We haven't even had Christmas yet, and they're already pushing king cakes at my local grocery store! This madness is literally a month too early. Three Kings Day is about the earliest that people might start celebrating Mardi Gras, which is always January 6th.

I know, I know. You're probably thinking, "You live in the Mardi Gras capital of the world, what do you expect?" Well, I don't live on Bourbon St. or even close to it, so a perpetual Mardi Gras doesn't exist in areas other than Bourbon St. or the French Quarter, i.e. where I live.
The Endymion parade, which is a very well known parade, passes through this area and right alongside the grocery store, but that's a stretch considering how early it is in the season.

It's pretty annoying whenever holidays overlap. People are just getting over Thanksgiving, and it's already Mardi Gras...
What is with these businesses? *crosses arms and pouts*

Exhibit A:

images

(a slice of king cake)
Perfectly okay on or after January 6th. Criminal before January 6th or after Fat Tuesday. :tongue

Last edited:

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Fraulein, I knew I likes you! Hangin' in. How about you? Merry Xmas & Happy New Year a bit early. That sounds wonderful!

Fraulein

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Fraulein, I knew I likes you! Hangin' in. How about you? Merry Xmas & Happy New Year a bit early. That sounds wonderful!
Doing well, now that my Therapeutics final is over with! *wipes sweat from brow* I have four more finals, though. :e2steer:
AW is a nice place to take a break away from studying, especially with so many wonderful personalities. :)

Fraulein

Registered
Reaction score
It's a big, round, sweet, cinnamon bread (the size of a cake) that's drizzled in white, purple, green, and gold/yellow icing, and if it is filled, the filling will consist of a fruit pie filling (strawberry, blueberry, cherry, apple, lemon, etc.), sweetened cream cheese, Bavarian style cream, pecan/praline cream, or chocolate.

There is also a tiny plastic baby inside the cake, and traditionally, whomever gets the baby has to buy the next cake.

How does it sound, Ferret?

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
It's a big, round, sweet, cinnamon bread (the size of a cake) that's drizzled in white, purple, green, and gold/yellow icing, and if it is filled, the filling will consist of a fruit pie filling (strawberry, blueberry, cherry, apple, lemon, etc.), sweetened cream cheese, Bavarian style cream, pecan/praline cream, or chocolate.

There is also a tiny plastic baby inside the cake, and traditionally, whomever gets the baby has to buy the next cake.

How does it sound, Ferret?
sounds wonderful. My luck I'd break a tooth on the baby.

Fraulein

Registered
Reaction score
sounds wonderful. My luck I'd break a tooth on the baby.
I've never seen that happen, so I wouldn't worry. They put warnings on the cake packaging like: "includes inedible figurine", "contains plastic doll", "Warning! Small plastic object hidden within cake."... to spoil the fun :tongue. Also, the nice locals will always tell the newbies to watch for the baby.

Oh, and the baby will almost always be on the bottom of the cake, not within the filling. So, people will simply turn their pieces over to investigate.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I was tempted to change the thread title to include Silver King Cakes, but we've had an outcry lately regarding censorship, and I didn't want to push the envelope. ;)

I've never had the pleasure to try one, though the way you describe them, with a deft hand that brings those pastries alive, king cakes sound mighty tasty.

Fraulein

Registered
Reaction score
I was tempted to change the thread title to include Silver King Cakes, but we've had an outcry lately regarding censorship, and I didn't want to push the envelope. ;)

I've never had the pleasure to try one, though the way you describe them, with a deft hand that brings those pastries alive, king cakes sound mighty tasty.
You can change the title if you'd like. It would be funny. I don't know how long the thread'll last though...

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
You can change the title if you'd like. It would be funny...
What's really funny is that I changed it earlier, but only for a moment; and before anyone noticed, switched it back to the original title. I do that sometimes, for no other reason than to amuse myself. :D
I don't know how long the thread'll last though...
It would probably die immediately, but I bet it would get tons of views if we changed it to: Silver King cakes available, with all of the beef you can handle!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
It would probably die immediately, but I bet it would get tons of views if we changed it to: Silver King cakes available, with all of the beef you can handle!
Well, except then we'd have the Truth in Advertising people down on us so fast it'll make our heads spin.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
We haven't even had Christmas yet, and they're already pushing king cakes at my local grocery store! This madness is literally a month too early. Three Kings Day is about the earliest that people might start celebrating Mardi Gras, which is always January 6th.

I know, I know. You're probably thinking, "You live in the Mardi Gras capital of the world, what do you expect?" Well, I don't live on Bourbon St. or even close to it, so a perpetual Mardi Gras doesn't exist in areas other than Bourbon St. or the French Quarter, i.e. where I live.
The Endymion parade, which is a very well known parade, passes through this area and right alongside the grocery store, but that's a stretch considering how early it is in the season.

It's pretty annoying whenever holidays overlap. People are just getting over Thanksgiving, and it's already Mardi Gras...
What is with these businesses? *crosses arms and pouts*

Exhibit A:

images

(a slice of king cake)
Perfectly okay on or after January 6th. Criminal before January 6th or after Fat Tuesday. :tongue

Wow, that's interesting. We also use "Bolo Rei" in Portugal. This King Cake is the Portuguese Christmas Cake. It arrived in Portugal in the 19th Century after the French Galette des Rois. The tradition is the 'fava bean' which has now been banned from Portugal, as a kid choked on it and died. If the 'fava bean' was found than that person had to buy the next Bolo Rei.