PDA

View Full Version : Common Writing Internships?

LOG
12-08-2008, 05:12 AM
What are some of the more commonly done writing or editing internships that you know of? My first thought is news writer or news editor if I can manage it, but that's all I can think of. I'd like more options if possible.

WerenCole
12-09-2008, 03:19 AM
If you are an undergraduate there should be a program through just about every major newspaper, though they are ultra competitive (450 people applied for the 20 person Washington Post internship).

Otherwise check the local papers and their websites. Just about all of them will have a "work for us" type of link at the bottom of the site. Click on it and dig around for internships. Everybody loves an intern free (or cheap) labor.

Also check the Society of Professional Journalists, Reuters, AP. . . There is a deadline for many of these that is (probably about now) coming up or already passed. So, get on the ball!

Other than journalism internships. . . and copy editing there are technical writing internships. Grant Writing, for instance. (Not a bad job either, if you don't mind the tedium.)

Being a TA or a research assistant to a professor can also lead to some good opportunities to write interesting material and it basically functions as an internship.

Creatively? I don't know. Creative writing is not much of an interning type of thing. . .

Does that help?

scheherazade
12-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Internships at publishing houses. Internships at campus lit journals. Magazines. Newspapers and RAships as above. Occasionally you can get an internship or junior researcher position (sometimes for credit if offered through a school, often just something you find independently) with a local journalist or writer. For example, even an unpublished creative writer might be willing to pay min wage for a student or recent grad to help them with research, editing, typing, or preparing submissions to publishing houses.

I met an unpublished writer in a class who wanted to hire a student just to research literary agents and prepare a list for her. I've also heard of older people who want to write their memoirs (and probably will vanity publish them in the end) and want someone to type up their handwritten notes, or edit, or do some ghostwriting/polishing. You may not necessarily gain more publishing experience than you can through your own writing habits, but you can make a bit of money this way - and, I hate to say it, but sometimes it helps boost your own ego to edit someone else's writing if it makes you realize your own writing is stronger than you sometimes think. Plus, you're helping make their work better, so everyone wins.

LOG
12-10-2008, 02:16 AM
Thank you both for you advice. :D