Kissing

Stunted

Ich heiße Superphantastisch!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I just wanted to ask, if you're a straight girl, and you have to kiss a boy in a play, you would feel something, wouldn't you? At least the first time, right?

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I've had to kiss many males in rehearsal and on stage and only once did I feel anything. Fortuantely, I knew the guy was a walking ego, so I squashed any tingles immediately. Otherwise, I concentrated on staying in character and sometimes wishing the guy would've heard of Altoids. :rolleyes:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I guess if it was going to be your very first kiss you would feel something. But it's probably not going to be like getting your first kiss with a boy you're going out with.

But, what do I know . . . I'm a middle-aged guy. ;-)

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Not necessarily--except for wet or dry. I've kissed loads of people onstage, and rarely felt anything for any of them. Of course, a lot of my leading men were gay but then again we are actors and it's not our job to feel anything.

It's our job to make you think that we are. :)

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Feel what? Nervous about having a public fake kiss with a stranger? Yes, before I'd done it a few times.

Sexually and/or romantically excited about a public fake kiss with a stranger? Nah.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Hey, I just wanted to ask, if you're a straight girl, and you have to kiss a boy in a play, you would feel something, wouldn't you? At least the first time, right?

Not normally, no. A kiss during a play or stage production is nothing like a real kiss. Unless you are having an off stage romance with the one you kiss, it's just more acting, pressing lips together to simulate a kiss. Back a few years ago I acted in many plays and never got romantic type feelings from a stage kiss.

RainyDayNinja

Registered
Reaction score
There is such a thing as a stage kiss. Depending on the kind of kiss and the angle, you could just touch on the corners of the mouth. One of them could also put his/her hand on the side of the other's face, and discreetly put a thumb in between their lips, so you're both kissing a thumb instead of lips.

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
Me personally, no. I don't feel something when kissing on stage. I have had nights when I was so completely into the character, the moment, whatever, that I felt what I was acting, but then I walked off stage and it was ultimately just an act.

And my "first kiss" was in fact on stage when I was 15. Yes, Altoids.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I played major roles in at least three high school musicals. The first and second boys I kissed onstage had zits the size of pepperoni slices. I felt nothing and made sure I kept my lips closed.

*Sigh* The cute ones never signed up.

RunawayScribe

It is what it is.
Registered
Reaction score
Not necessarily. I never did. Nervous about kissing on stage or for a camera was the only thing I ever felt. It would depend on whether you were attracted to the guy, really. (And yes, you can be attracted to someone/find someone attractive without having a huge crush on them and praying nightly for them to propose.)

Deleted member 42

No, not unless you're already attracted.

It just doesn't work that way. It's not even about het/queer, it's about individuals, about the "chemistry" and level of trust and comfort between the two people.

You can even kiss the same person on several different occasions, and then, suddenly, BAM, something happens.

It's more about what's in our heads/hearts, than biology.

And stage kissing is about the audience.

lexxi

bold enough for both those XXs
Registered
Reaction score
I once directed a musical at a summer camp in which the romantic leads were supposed to kiss. The 15-year-old boy was very into the idea, and the 14-year-old girl was very not. She refused to let their lips get anywhere near each other, and we had to come up with some creative blocking to convey to the audience that the characters were actually kissing.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'd need a little background on the "straight girl" and the boy she'd be kissing before I could answer this.

Now, if it were me, when I was in the 4th grade, preparing the the Christmas play and the boy was Troy - the hot boy in the other class that had me swooning every time I saw him, then yes. I'd definitely feel something. ;)

AmandaAcidic

Good morning beautiful!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
amandalynb.blogspot.com
I think I'd need a little background on the "straight girl" and the boy she'd be kissing before I could answer this.

Now, if it were me, when I was in the 4th grade, preparing the the Christmas play and the boy was Troy - the hot boy in the other class that had me swooning every time I saw him, then yes. I'd definitely feel something. ;)

Agreed. Even older than 4th. Probably up to 6th actually