Cliffhanger or Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

honeycomb

Caroline
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any advice on whether or not to end a novel with a Cliffhanger? If it's good to do so, then are there any good examples out there?

Thx

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
honeycomb, it seems like even a well-crafted cliffhanger couldn't possibly be satisfying to the reader. I like the occasional cliffhanger chapter ending, so long as it's the real thing and something is at stake. That keeps me turning pages rather than vowing never to buy another of the author's books.

If you're working on a series, you can deliberately fail to have every character end up in a stable, settled situation, so readers who enjoyed the first novel will also enjoy seeing what happens to Smitty and Barb next, while still providing an ending which resolves the conflict and closes out the story.

Maryn, pleased to meet you

Red-Green

KoalaKoalaKoala!
Registered
Reaction score
At the publishing party, whacking the piñata
Website
www.bryngreenwood.com
What Chaos said. In fact, I recently read a book that ended in a cliffhanger. It's part of a planned trilogy and the second book was released a few weeks ago. So I could go buy it and find out what happens, but I am so angry with the author that I'm not going to. Ever. Not putting one more penny in that writer's pocket. Over the top and irrational reaction? You betcha, but it's mine.

circlexranch

Terri Coop has been known to write
Registered
Reaction score
Website
readinrittinrhetoric.blogspot.com
Cliffhangers are tough. I personally don't mind an 'unhappy ending' in that the murderer doesn't necessary get caught, the hero doesn't get the girl and I'm left with more questions than answered.

However, the major plot lines for that story need to be resolved. Don't cheat the reader who may not want to get into a series. For example, we need to know who the killer is although, perhaps, there is a plausible question about whether or not he escaped the fiery crash.

Weak example, but a quick on off the top of my head. Star Wars was good. Left us with something to think on and anticipate, or we could quit at just one movie. Empire Strikes Back was not good, obviously just a cheap bridge to the next movie.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
I just finished a book that was the first book in part of a planned triology, and it ended with a cliff hanger. I'd gotten the book for free as a reviewer, but if I'd spent the $15, I would have been outraged that I wasted my money. As it is, if I see this particular author pop up on the publisher's site again, I won't touch his books again.

A good, well-written book with a beginning, middle, and ending and good characters gets people to buy the next book, not a cliff hanger ending.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Why do you want to end on a cliffhanger? What is the purpose? Do you want to torture your readers? Do you want them to buy your next book?

Even if you have the sequel ready to go, it's not guaranteed that it would get published. Then what? Why did you leave your readers hanging like that? What do you want to accomplish?

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
In my experience, readers hate cliffhangers.

Doesn't mean you have to tie up every single loose end with Book 1 if you're planning more books. But Book 1 had better be able to stand on its own as a satisfying read.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
What if one went the Star Wars route, where the first book ends wrapped up (more or less), but the second book ends on a cliffhanger?

It's different because Lucas already have the sequels all planned out, plus they made $$$$ so the sequels were guaranteed. ESB and ROtJ are basically two-parter.

Rowling did the same thing. The first few books are all standalone (with an overall arc). Only the last few were done as a continuous plot with cliffhangers.

If you have an established series and a definite fan base, then it may work. If it's your first book, then a cliffhanger would be a bad idea.

honeycomb

Caroline
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all! I get it. No cliffhangers :) Thanks for the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.