Why I've not been around in a while

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
After my mom passed away, in August, her greedy son (yes, we're related, I've chosen to disown him as I believe my mom would do if she were still living) contested the trust. My dad pre-deceased her by 5 years, leaving us as co-trustees.

As some of you know, I was quite ill prior to my mom dying, to the point that I almost died. It was an allergic reaction to an antibiotic; nearly took me out. I flew out and saw my mom the day before she died, thankfully. What I didn't know was, that was the beginning of Chris' betrayal. He'd already forged several of my mom's checks and deposited them into his and my accounts. While I was at the mortuary, taking care of my mom's funeral arrangements, he and his wife were selling my mom's Mercedes, that he'd obtained using her hand to forge her signature. He pocketed the money.

His jealousy originated as a result of my mom leaving me the house even though she had left him plenty of $. He has a home, I rent a shack and my health isn't that great, either. Next, he froze the assets and refused to sign the house over to me. Then, after I left he stole some of the furniture left to me, and has it on consignment. Also, he accused my mom of misappropriating her own money, that she used to pay her and my dad's medical bills and demanded that he be reimbursed. On top of that, he demanded that I name him as my beneficiary. Not to mention, his wife took some of my mom's things, w/o asking and stole a piece of jewelry that belonged to my grandmother. She also told me to, "Have fun," when I was on my way to p/u my mom's ashes. These are only some of the highlights.

In between all of this, I had a TIA which triggered seizures and lost a ridiculous amount of weight. Too much, in fact. Size 6 jeans w/ a belt to hold 'em up. Oh well. Yes, I eat. Lots and lots of pasta.

Not much time to grieve for my mom, either w/ all the lawyer crap going on. I'm on my way out to CA the day after Christmas to clean out the house, to ready it for the market, again. It sold, once, until the idjut undermined it and it fell through. I'll be there for 3 weeks and am driving, again. I'll have the pups w/ me, my mom's girl and Kola. We're planning a fun trip for the way home. I haven't decided, but I may move out there, not that house, it's in an age restricted area.

Then, this last week, a family that we grew up w/, I've known them since I was 5, their son committed suicide. Turns out he was dying from some kind of cancer and didn't tell them. They're just finding this out. He was an incredible man, but it's incomprehensible that he didn't reach out. The rest of my heart is in pieces over this. He was like my little brother. After watching both my parents die from cancer, I get not wanting to die that way, I really do, but I don't understand not telling anyone that you're sick. I'll be seeing his brother while I'm in CA. His sister and parents are in NH, and they just told me, they were afraid that w/ all that was going on w/ me, I wouldn't have been able to handle it any sooner. They were probably correct. I nearly checked out a couple of months ago-signed everything over to my uncle so Chris wouldn't get his hands on it, that's how bad things were.

I lurked around here, a lot, but couldn't post. Couldn't verbalize a damn thing. So, now you know what's been going on. Yeah, I've been talking to someone and some friends. If not for that, I wouldn't be here.

I've barely been in touch w/ a few peeps, but I'm back, now. And, glad to be so :)

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Wow, Jean I'm so sorry to hear about all your troubles! I'm hoping you're feeling better. It's bad enough to have your mother die, but having your brother be so horrible just adds insult to injury. Karma is a bitch and I'm sure he'll get his in the end. I'm wishing you all the best and hoping you feel better. Glad to see you're back.:Hug2:

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
So sorry this all happened to you, but very glad you're back and hope you're feeling way better and that soon your troubles with your brother will be a thing of the past and worked out in your favor. Keep feeling better and take care, k. Missed you! ((((((HUGS)))))))

willfulone

I am a zebra...
Registered
Reaction score
Golly, it did not sprinkle on you - you got a deluge. And, that much pain? It is incomprehensible to me. That you had to suffer so. And, I will light a candle and say a prayer that you have some measure of ease in your life. Some breathing space.

I am very sorry for your loses. (Well, not the loss of that cur brother of yours)

Take care of yourself and allow others to help you when you cannot do for yourself.

Christine

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
It's really really sad when things like this happen within families. A particular uncle of mine tried something similar- but we managed to foil his attempts despite the critical situation we were in.

I've found AW to be very helpful when depressed. Welcome back and good luck with everything.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So sorry for you loss, health problems and the Chris has acted. I'm sure his and his wife's greed and s**** attitude and actions will come back at bite them in the butts.

Best wishes and lots of good thoughts and hugs being sent your way
:Hug2::Hug2::Hug2::Hug2:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, my. Jean, I'm so sorry this is all going on. Prayers sent your way.

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you're back. I hope the worst is behind you.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
(((Jean Marie)))

We're here for listening and hugs. That's all I've got to say.

More hugs...

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
You can choose your friends... you can't choose your family. And just 'cause they're family doesn't mean they're worth anything.

But don't feel all alone... we've got one of those in each branch of my husband's family. Dad had three brothers and each of them got a turd when the sons were passed out.

:Hug2:

roncouch

The Couchmeister
Registered
Reaction score
JM,
Wow! Lousy way to lose weight. You and I recently communicated, and while I'm not surprised at your ability to cope with the mess you've been handed, it is a lot on anyone's plate. Rest assured I'll be around for moral support. That's what we do :)
Ron

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((YOU))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

I had some of those type of folks in my family. It is truly a shame.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
I am sorry you are going though such emotional times. Some people turn hideous when money is handed out. I've seen it at my grandparents' funerals. I've watched my aunt and uncle raid my grandmother's jewelry box!

I am also sorry that you lost a great friend. (hugs) I am glad that you survived your own health ailments, and that you are on the way to recovery.

Please consider us (AW) to be a part of your support network. It is reassuring to know that you have friends who are standing with you.

Thanks for coming back.. you add a lot to this community.
(More hugs!)

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I'm so sorry for all you've been through and are still going through, and I hope the days ahead are much better for you. (((Hugs)))

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry. You must be very strong to have endured so much so fast. Best wishes to you. Lean on us!

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had some of those type of folks in my family. It is truly a shame.

Hugs to Jean-Marie. I think everyone has at least one relative like that. I know I have them both on my mother's and my father's side.

MM

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Thanks everyone for all your kind words of support and all the virtual hugs. It means an awful lot, especially w/ the difficulty it took in posting all this. It's been an enormous amount of 'stuff' to process in a relatively short period of time.

So many hours have been spent logging entries of events for my lawyer, paying my mom's bills and generally keeping track of the trust while attempting to keep my own life in order. By days end, I've been too tired to even read, until recently. I'm looking forward to getting back to my writing. It seems the only way that I can accomplish that is by longhand. My concentration is too shot for typing, if that makes sense.

I guess there's a recuperation that goes w/ all of this. Thanks, everyone for being there :Hug2:

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I sure hope things turn around for you soon, JM. I feel for you and all that you're dealing with now. As for the family 'member', just remember karma.

My best wishes are out to you.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I'm so sorry you've been through such an awful time and I hope you feel better soon. Your brother is such a jerk and I'm sure he'll get his come uppance!

I witnessed much the same greed with my dear neighbour's passing. His daughter had to fight hard to keep her brother from claiming more than his due, when she and her husband were the ones taking care of Uncle Bob to the end.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Can you put a strong lock on your mom's house? Maybe even a security camera? I would hate to hear that your brother has taken something else...
Her house is in a gated/security...haha community. I did have the locks changed and he broke in, anyway. He's a fireman and picked the locks, they did nothing, saying we're co-trustees and he had every right to do what he did.

I'm supposed to have the deed this coming week, my lawyer's writing a letter, in 2nd grade english, on my advice to the homeowner's association that if they allow him in, again I will sue them and he will be arrested by North County San Diego. Won't look good for his job. He'll also have to answer for everything else if that happens. He's been warned, through his lawyer to stay away from the house or other charges will be pressed, forgery, etc. I'm wiped out, but I will go after him full force for what he's done if he tries anything else.

He cleaned out the account that supported my mom's homeowner's fees, which I've had to pay. I got a message the other day from one of my mom's neighbors, "I'd like to speak to Butthead's sister." Made me laugh.

I'm so sorry you've been through such an awful time and I hope you feel better soon. Your brother is such a jerk and I'm sure he'll get his come uppance!

I witnessed much the same greed with my dear neighbour's passing. His daughter had to fight hard to keep her brother from claiming more than his due, when she and her husband were the ones taking care of Uncle Bob to the end.
It's insane to have to fight hard, but it's the only thing to do. Thankfully, I've got a shark for a lawyer, who's working fast and not racking up crazy bills. It's my mom's wishes.