A work rant

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
This is going to do me no good other than as a vent and a chance to swear, so here goes.

For those of you good people who don't know, I work in a library. Have done for five years. I spend most of my time ordering stock and cataloguing it for ten libraries. It's a pretty cool job. Before this one, I spent a few years working in retail. The problem was I hated the public and still do. They're rude, ignorant, inconsiderate and most of the ones I had to deal had a body odour problem. The only reason I stayed in the industry for so long was because I was like Dante in Clerks. Eventually, I changed jobs before I got fired for hitting a customer.

Last week at work, I find out that because the local government who run the library have no spare money, they can't hire more frontline staff which means people like me have to go out and help as needed. Apparently, all we're going to do is shelve books and answer questions rather than deal with the public directly. This is the management covering their arses. Frontline staff are on two pay grades higher than me because they deal with the public. Personally, I see this starting off as an hour to cover someone's lunch, then turning into an afternoon, then a day of me doing someone else's job - without me being fucking paid for it.

I haven't been this angry about work in a long time. OK, I can look for another job but why should I have to change jobs when I was taken on to perform a specific role?

Goddamn, I'm pissed off.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Would sexual favours make you feel better?

Not from me...I'm offering thethinker42...:D

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Grumpiness in the morning. A coffee addiction. A shiny head. Zombie films. And a few cans of lager in the fridge.

The queue starts here, ladies.

*puts shirt back on and scowls* Oh, you're going to have to do better than that, Mister.

Reaction score
Grumpiness in the morning. A coffee addiction. A shiny head. Zombie films. And a few cans of lager in the fridge.

The queue starts here, ladies.

If you'd said a magnificent afro, I'd be up your trouser leg like a whippet.

Wait, we are talking about the head we see in your avatar, right?

I'll get me coat.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I do feel your pain though: I got out of retail because I was certain that I was going to stab myself if I kept at it. Later, I went to work in the rental car biz, and was INSISTENT about getting the job where I wasn't working with customers.

My entire first week? Working with customers at the airport. Wanted. To. Die.

Then someone almost pulled a gun on me at my non-customer part of the job. Screw you guys, I'm going home.

I think it's fucked up that they're changing your job description and putting you out there like that. Advice? Got none. Commiserating? Got plenty. Sexual favors? Apparently I have those too.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What really stinks seun, is that even if you were to find another job, be it in the private or public sector, chances are, over time you will be covering another job as part of the regular job you were hired for, without pay. So many private companies and city, state etc are doing this.

They either lay people off and dole their work out to those who remain or just start adding the extra duties on. I guess they figure with a bad economy and so many people out of work, if you don't want to do the extra work at no pay, someone else will.

Business s****

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I guess they figure with a bad economy and so many people out of work, if you don't want to do the extra work at no pay, someone else will.

Which is more or less what they told me last week. Still, at least nobody has pulled a gun on me. Yet.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
OK, I can look for another job but why should I have to change jobs when I was taken on to perform a specific role?
The world changes. The greatest attribute we possess as a species is our ability to adapt. Punch someone and move on.

Cheers,
Rob

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
The world changes. The greatest attribute we possess as a species is our ability to adapt. Wrestle a tiger and move on.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
The tiger moves on, the wrestler/wrestlee lies there, um that is what's left of him/her :}

Reaction score
Don't you think we should all be giving seun some proper sympathy instead of taking the piss with all this talk of tigers, sexual favours and afros atop his shiny bonce?

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Don't you think we should all be giving seun some proper sympathy instead of taking the piss with all this talk of tigers, sexual favours and afros atop his shiny bonce?

Yeah, we probably shouldn't let this turn into a "Hey, we're pimping out thethinker42 over here!"

Can we get a thread split? :)

Seun, most of what has been said about this already is dead on. The economy does suck. The public certainly can, as well. Plus, it's a library, a community service. Isn't it amazing how people seem to expect more when it's "for free"?

On the other hand, you have a job. Hold on to it. Try to use it as a growth experience. Try to, quietly, build in alone time to keep your resistance and patience levels up.

Reaction score
I need to filter out the wusses who are liable to turn into a steaming puddle of crywankery soon as you touch them.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Which is more or less what they told me last week. Still, at least nobody has pulled a gun on me. Yet.

Isn't it nice to know all the work you've donw over the years is appreciated.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
On the other hand, you have a job. Hold on to it. Try to use it as a growth experience. Try to, quietly, build in alone time to keep your resistance and patience levels up.

True. It's been a long time but I can probably still deal with the great unwashed (bastards to a man). What gets up my arse is not being paid the same as 'real' frontline staff.

Reaction score
seun, what do you think would happen if you went up the boss or the relevant superior and said, "Oi, Shithead! I ain't happy with this?"

Thought in a more diplomatic way, of course?

Do you have to take this lying down?