PDA

View Full Version : Those shows you make fun of but secretly watch

The Lonely One
12-07-2008, 04:51 AM
Okay,

I watched most of the season of "Paris Hilton's New BFF." Mostly because I was so utterly confused the entire time about why so many people would go on a television show to be friends with someone they hardly knew, even if it was Paris Hilton. I said, "guys would never do that, they don't give a crap about making friends that way..." Then I saw a commercial for Bromance and I was like *slap.

Anyways, back on track, I know this show is mindless and probably one of the worst of the reality bunch, but I think it was totally worth watching when I saw Nick Swardson hanging out with Paris and her other BFF's at a SLUMBER PARTY! WTF? What a creepy guy! He was wearing like a dirty teeshirt and dinosaur jammy pants with slippers, and was all unshaven and stuff...and he was the only guy there. I mean, more power to him but it was just such an odd thing to see.

Are there any shows you make fun of in public but secretly watch? And does Nick Swardson make a creepy cameo?

P.S. Benji Madden was also on the show (of Good Charlotte) looking like the biggest douchenozzle I've ever seen. What a f*$&ing tool that guy is.

Medievalist
12-07-2008, 04:58 AM
This isn't quite the same but . . . I missed a lot of the seventies and eighties TV show because we didn't have tv.

But I'd go to school and hear all about them . . . and now, I'm seeing some of them streaming on the Web and I gotta say . . .

They're mostly profoundly awful.

jvc
12-07-2008, 05:35 AM
Little house on the prairie and highway to heaven

triceretops
12-07-2008, 05:48 AM
Ninja Warriors. This is a real guilty pleasure--one that my roomates just can't stand and try to wrestle the controller away from me.

Tri

ChaosTitan
12-07-2008, 06:01 AM
If I told you what I secretly watch, then it won't be a secret anymore.....

Ciera_
12-07-2008, 06:03 AM
Gilmore Girls =P
It's actually pretty good! Definitely a comfort show.
And Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Though I don't EVER make fun of that. But some people do...

AmandaAcidic
12-07-2008, 06:04 AM
i love Buffy. I get offended when people make fun of it. Lol

Shadow_Ferret
12-08-2008, 03:55 AM
There are NO shows that I make fun of that I secretly watch. How hypocritical is that? If I make fun of it, it's because I think it sucks, plain and simple, and I won't waste my time with them.

Medievalist
12-08-2008, 03:58 AM
Ok.

I'm likin' Angel.

Spenser for Hire? Bigggg disappointment, though Avery Brooks is excellent.

Cranky
12-08-2008, 05:18 AM
Ninja Warriors. This is a real guilty pleasure--one that my roomates just can't stand and try to wrestle the controller away from me.

Tri

I watch it and I have no shame about it. I even have a little tiny crush on Makoto Nagano. :D

Cranky
12-08-2008, 05:19 AM
Ok.

I'm likin' Angel.

Spenser for Hire? Bigggg disappointment, though Avery Brooks is excellent.

Angel is awesome, and I like it better than Buffy. I like the last two seasons of Buffy best. Oh yeah, I said it. :D

Don
12-08-2008, 05:28 AM
Does it count if it's on because I'm outvoted? Oprah ends up on sometimes because my DW, MIL and SIL outvote me.

For revenge, I intentionally named a saccharine, overly politically correct female talk show host who bends over for any liberal politician Winnie Harpo in my current WIP. I'll let my eventual publisher decide if I can keep her name.

caromora
12-08-2008, 05:29 AM
America's Next Top Model. I don't make it a secret that I watch, though.

Medievalist
12-08-2008, 05:31 AM
Angel is awesome, and I like it better than Buffy. I like the last two seasons of Buffy best. Oh yeah, I said it. :D

Oh, we SO have to talk; I'm in the middle of watching 'em now.

Cranky
12-08-2008, 05:34 AM
Oh, we SO have to talk; I'm in the middle of watching 'em now.

Well, when you're done, we'll definitely have to chat. I don't want to spoil anything for you. :D

Jerry B. Flory
12-08-2008, 05:45 AM
I'm still very much an X-Files fan.

Mr. Chuckletrousers
12-08-2008, 06:44 AM
I make fun of Babylon 5 because of the hammy acting, occasionally atrocious dialogue, and a host of other faults and flaws. Nonetheless, I 'secretly' own the DVDs and rewatch them every once in a while, and I still get a little shiver when Sheridan takes the plunge at Z'ha'dum, and when the Shadow War is won, and at several other points. I suppose the scope of the story and the effort it must have taken to bring such a complex, multi-season story-arc to the medium of TV impresses me, even now.

Shadow_Ferret
12-08-2008, 06:52 AM
Does it count if it's on because I'm outvoted? Oprah ends up on sometimes because my DW, MIL and SIL outvote me.
I have several questions.
What is a DW?

Do your SIL and MIL live with you?

Aren't there any other rooms in the house to go to when they watch Oprah?

Mr. Chuckletrousers
12-08-2008, 06:54 AM
Gilmore Girls =P
It's actually pretty good! Definitely a comfort show.
Ooh! I love the Gilmore... Uh...I mean...I'm a man. A manly man. And of course I have never seen the Gilmore Girls. In fact, what's that? Is it a television show of some sort?

And Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Though I don't EVER make fun of that. But some people do...
Actually the entire cast and crew of Buffy poked quite a bit of fun at themselves over the years. Not taking themselves too seriously was part of what I loved about the show.

katiemac
12-08-2008, 07:54 AM

Youze are weird. ;) Seasons two, three and five for me... (Although you gotta give some season six single episodes credit where credit is deserved.)

But more along the lines of the topic, since I never diss Buffy or Angel, I'm currently going to have to go with Grey's Anatomy. I watched it from the beginning and enjoyed it, but the show has gone so far off the deep end in the past two seasons I can't watch an episode without saying "WTF," yet I still can't turn it off.

nevada
12-08-2008, 09:10 AM
Does watching reruns over and over again even though you've seen them a thousand times and didn't like them to begin with count? When I had a tv (in a moment of insanity which I don't regret in the slightest I sold my tv) every day at 5 pm on Space they showed Stargate SG1. They've been showing Stargate every day at 5 pm for years. And every day, for years, I watched it. Which means I've seen every episode many, many times. I didn't like them to begin with and the more I watched them, the more annoyed I got and yet, every day at 5 pm, like some hypnotized zombie, I would change the channel to Space and watch it. I even watched the two movies they did after the show got cancelled and yes they were awful. The first one was particularly awful and yet, like the hypnotized zombie that I am, the very next day I watched the second one. Yes, I am ashamed. Because I am sure that if i had a tv, every day at 5 pm it would be tuned to Space. :(

Jersey Chick
12-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Well, I made fun of my husband for being so into Battlestar Galactica - and he got me into watching it (though I still make fun of him for it - he's such a nerd about sci-fi shows...)

Toothpaste
12-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Okay hold the thread for a moment . . . there is no reason on earth anyone should feel remotely ashamed for watching and adoring Battlestar Galactica. It won a friggin' Peabody for crying out loud! It is a fantastic piece of drama that happens to be genre. It is as much like the West Wing as it is like Star Trek, in fact more so. The writing is superb, the acting - just incredible, the way it is shot? Innovative. And the subtle character development? Absolutely beautiful.

Ehem.

Anyway . . .

Now to return to the thread . . .

Though it is no secret, I kind of can't believe I enjoy Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman. But I do. I find it cheesy, ridiculously preachy, and way too G rated for a show about the wild west. Still . . . I do enjoy it . . . I dunno . . . it's like comfort food . . .

shawkins
12-08-2008, 08:48 PM

I'm terribly sorry, but your opinion is wrong. Season five was clearly the best Buffy. Six had its moments, but seven didn't do much for me.

In all seriousness, what about them did you prefer?

nevada
12-08-2008, 08:51 PM

Umm hello? Spike, naked? What else needs to be said?

Don
12-08-2008, 08:58 PM
I have several questions.
What is a DW?

Do your SIL and MIL live with you?

Aren't there any other rooms in the house to go to when they watch Oprah?
DW - Dear Wife

We're currently spending a month visiting my MIL, and SIL happens to live there as well. MIL is getting on in years and it's good to have someone living with her.

Yes, there are other rooms, but they tend to roam through the house and have all the TVs on. It's more fun to carp about it than to move, anyway. :)

Cranky
12-08-2008, 08:59 PM
I'm terribly sorry, but your opinion is wrong. Season five was clearly the best Buffy. Six had its moments, but seven didn't do much for me.

Well, to be fair, I did enjoy Season Five. The Body? I get chills just thinking of that episode.

EDIT: SPOILERS BELOW PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

I liked Six and Seven because it was less high-school to me, even though there were episodes in the earlier seasons that I just loved to death, like Band Candy and The Pack. I also really enjoyed Once More With Feeling, I liked getting to know Xander as less of a goof, and more a well-rounded person. I loved the yellow crayon! I loved Willow screwing up in such a huge way, I liked Robin Wood in Season Seven. I liked how Buffy really finally came into her own after all the hell she'd been through in previous Seasons by the time Season Seven came around.

There's more, but that's the gist of it. :D Oh, and I will say that they could have skipped all of Season Four and I'd have been okay with it. Riley/Buffy made me want to barf almost as much as Buffy/Angel. And Angel's show (with the exception of the Connor/Cordelia squicky storyline) I just flat out loved. Smile Time? Farkin' hilarious tee vee right there, my man. :D Illyria was the awesomest, and I just adored Fred. I was sorry to see them kill her off, but at least Illyria was badass. Wesley's character arc over the two shows was just awesome as well. He was one of my favorite characters.

Shadow_Ferret
12-08-2008, 09:02 PM
DW - Dear Wife

Ah, I see, the Dear threw me off. I refer to mine as BW.

Don't ask. It'll only get me in trouble. :D

Cranky
12-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Umm hello? Spike, naked? What else needs to be said?

I could've done without that, actually, but Spike is a pretty awesome character. I loved what Joss Whedon did with all his main vamp characters, including Darla.

maestrowork
12-08-2008, 09:11 PM
I admit... I make fun of my Trekkie friends and the Star Trek series. But I've watched every single Star Trek movie and generally liked them.

nevada
12-08-2008, 09:14 PM
and umm yeah Cranky's analysis of season six and seven. Thats what I meant to say. Not just Spike naked. ummm, yeah. I'm not that shallow. Really. :D

Cranky
12-08-2008, 09:18 PM
and umm yeah Cranky's analysis of season six and seven. Thats what I meant to say. Not just Spike naked. ummm, yeah. I'm not that shallow. Really. :D

He did have a nice tush. :D But he's a blond (yes, Captain Peroxide! loved that, I have to say), and so it left me cold. *sigh*

AmandaAcidic
12-08-2008, 10:17 PM

It's alright. I'm that shallow too =]

Cranky
12-08-2008, 10:25 PM
Youze are weird. ;) Seasons two, three and five for me... (Although you gotta give some season six single episodes credit where credit is deserved.)

But more along the lines of the topic, since I never diss Buffy or Angel, I'm currently going to have to go with Grey's Anatomy. I watched it from the beginning and enjoyed it, but the show has gone so far off the deep end in the past two seasons I can't watch an episode without saying "WTF," yet I still can't turn it off.

Actually, I didn't get the whole Buffy thing until about three years ago. Never watched it when it was on tv, and I rolled my eyes at the fans. I just didn't get it. I watched because I was staying with my parents when we first moved out here and my mother was a huge fan. After rolling my eyes and sighing heavily after the first episode (see, I was thinking of the horrible movie), it slowly began to grow on me. So, it was sorta on topic. :D Sort of.

I will say I'm in the same boat as Ray on Star Trek. Though I have watched some episodes of TNG in addition to a couple of the original episodes. Still feel a bit weird about liking Star Trek. Shhhhh!

mscelina
12-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Scariest Places on Earth. The bawling-like-a-b*tch shots are the best.

Jersey Chick
12-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Okay hold the thread for a moment . . . there is no reason on earth anyone should feel remotely ashamed for watching and adoring Battlestar Galactica. It won a friggin' Peabody for crying out loud! It is a fantastic piece of drama that happens to be genre. It is as much like the West Wing as it is like Star Trek, in fact more so. The writing is superb, the acting - just incredible, the way it is shot? Innovative. And the subtle character development? Absolutely beautiful.

Ehem.

Anyway . . .

Now to return to the thread . . .

Though it is no secret, I kind of can't believe I enjoy Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman. But I do. I find it cheesy, ridiculously preachy, and way too G rated for a show about the wild west. Still . . . I do enjoy it . . . I dunno . . . it's like comfort food . . .

Who said anything about being ashamed of watching it? I said I made fun of him, not that he was upset by it. He's used to my telling him what a sci-fi nerd he is. And he got me into it, so I guess the laugh's on me, I guess.

Anyhoo... carry on... just needed to clear this up ;)

Cranky
12-08-2008, 10:34 PM
Scariest Places on Earth. The bawling-like-a-b*tch shots are the best.

Oooh, if we're going to go with reality-type stuff too, then I have to add my fetish for stupid criminals shows. The ones with that former sheriff hosting them? Oh yeah. I love those.

*hides*

Grrarrgh
12-08-2008, 11:14 PM
At this point, I'd have to say Grey's Anatomy. It's so bad anymore, and every week I watch it and complain about how bad it is and much I hate it, but I just....keep....watching.....

TerzaRima
12-09-2008, 02:41 AM
At this point, I'd have to say Grey's Anatomy.

Me too. I used to carp about how much this show sucked and what a cheesefest it was. Then it became sort of like a burning house--I couldn't look away.

Now I almost never miss it, but that doesn't prevent me from bitching about the writing. Dead Denny! Solo surgery! Dear God in heaven, the intern self-mutilation society! Last week, Little Grey abruptly breaking with her sweet little homespun character by pushing her way into McSteamy's apartment and shucking off her clothes!

It's amazing what goes down well with that awesome soundtrack.

shawkins
12-09-2008, 04:39 AM
Well, to be fair, I did enjoy Season Five. The Body? I get chills just thinking of that episode.

EDIT: SPOILERS BELOW PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!

Fair enough. Now that I think about it, the one in season 7 where she's in the asylum is in my top 5. I also liked the finale. And we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that bad Buffy is still orders of magnitude better than anything else ever filmed. (Except Ted. That one sucked.)

It won a friggin' Peabody for crying out loud! It is a fantastic piece of drama that happens to be genre. It is as much like the West Wing as it is like Star Trek, in fact more so. The writing is superb, the acting - just incredible, the way it is shot? Innovative. And the subtle character development? Absolutely beautiful.

Also, don't forget Grace Park (http://cyncity.typepad.com/cyn_city/images/2008/03/14/grace_park_battlestar_galactica_2.jpg). I'd pay $10 for a ticket to a two hour film of her sitting around in sweats reading the paper.

AmandaAcidic
12-09-2008, 05:34 AM
Fair enough. Now that I think about it, the one in season 7 where she's in the asylum is in my top 5.

That's in season six.....

katiemac
12-09-2008, 06:19 AM
Me too. I used to carp about how much this show sucked and what a cheesefest it was. Then it became sort of like a burning house--I couldn't look away.

Now I almost never miss it, but that doesn't prevent me from bitching about the writing. Dead Denny! Solo surgery! Dear God in heaven, the intern self-mutilation society! Last week, Little Grey abruptly breaking with her sweet little homespun character by pushing her way into McSteamy's apartment and shucking off her clothes!

It's amazing what goes down well with that awesome soundtrack.

Soundtrack is major points. I'm glad I'm not the only one who bitches about the writing but still watches the show. I was pleased to see--I think it was the second episode of this season?--where the chief said they would crack down on making the medical program better... guess not.

I hate hate hate the Denny/Izzie storyline but I love Denny.

katiemac
12-09-2008, 06:23 AM
There's more, but that's the gist of it. :D Oh, and I will say that they could have skipped all of Season Four and I'd have been okay with it. Riley/Buffy made me want to barf almost as much as Buffy/Angel. And Angel's show (with the exception of the Connor/Cordelia squicky storyline) I just flat out loved. Smile Time? Farkin' hilarious tee vee right there, my man. :D Illyria was the awesomest, and I just adored Fred. I was sorry to see them kill her off, but at least Illyria was badass. Wesley's character arc over the two shows was just awesome as well. He was one of my favorite characters.

Yep, X-nay on the season four arc aside from a couple standalone episodes--Hush, for one. And Something Blue. Annnd yes, I like the Thanksgiving episode, if only for "You made a bear! Undo it, undo it!"

Obviously I still love Angel, but the Connor/Cordelia storyline actually drove me to the point I stopped watching when it was on the air. I finally caught up last summer.

shawkins
12-09-2008, 06:33 AM
That's in season six.....

I was just testing you.

AmandaAcidic
12-09-2008, 06:45 AM
I was just testing you.

Lol. Sorry. I'm such a Buffysnot.

JoNightshade
12-09-2008, 06:58 AM
There are NO shows that I make fun of that I secretly watch. How hypocritical is that? If I make fun of it, it's because I think it sucks, plain and simple, and I won't waste my time with them.

This is me, too. I either like something or I don't, and if I don't, I don't watch it.

However, there is a show I have finally warmed up to: Naruto. My husband's been forcing me (yes, FORCING!) to watch it for like 3 years now. I used to mock it mercilessly but now that I've come to know the characters I find a lot to like in the whole thing. My main objection is that 1 Narutominute = 30 realworld minutes. Seriously. Every season could be cut into a single decent movie.

Mr. Chuckletrousers
12-09-2008, 07:35 AM
Lol. Sorry. I'm such a Buffysnot.
Giles: Listen, about this Fyarl demon. Do I have special powers? Like setting things on fire with my sizzling eye beams?

Spike: Well, you got the mucus thing.

Giles: What? Mucus?

Spike: Paralyzing mucus. Shoots out through the nose. Sets on fast. Hard as a rock. Pretty good in a fight.

Giles: Are you making this up?

Spike: Maybe. But hey, you feel a sneeze coming on, you warn me.

AmandaAcidic
12-09-2008, 07:38 AM
Giles: Listen, about this Fyarl demon. Do I have special powers? Like setting things on fire with my sizzling eye beams?

Spike: Well, you got the mucus thing.

Giles: What? Mucus?

Spike: Paralyzing mucus. Shoots out through the nose. Sets on fast. Hard as a rock. Pretty good in a fight.

Giles: Are you making this up?

Spike: Maybe. But hey, you feel a sneeze coming on, you warn me.

Season four. Stupid Ethan. Always causing problems...

Danni
12-09-2008, 09:05 AM
Okay, all I've gotta say is, who on earth makes fun of Gilmore Girls??? That is one the of best shows ever! (even though the ending of the series royally sucked) Those girls and their drama got me through bedrest at the end of my pregnancy, thank-you-very-much, and anyone who disses them must deal with me!!

But, um, I am ashamed that I watch Survivor. A reality show. The original reality show.
But I do. :Shrug:

Cranky
12-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Yep, X-nay on the season four arc aside from a couple standalone episodes--Hush, for one. And Something Blue. Annnd yes, I like the Thanksgiving episode, if only for "You made a bear! Undo it, undo it!"

Obviously I still love Angel, but the Connor/Cordelia storyline actually drove me to the point I stopped watching when it was on the air. I finally caught up last summer.

Oh, how could I forget that Hush was in Season Four? Now that was awesome. The Gentlemen were like something out of a Stephen King novel...so so so soooooooooo super creepy.

Just the way I like it. :D

The Cordy/Connor thing was the only thing I really disliked about Angel, to be frank. Meh. Can't win 'em all, right?

katiemac
12-09-2008, 09:27 AM
Can't win them all, yes.

I've been trying to come up with more shows other than the one that I trash but still watch, and I've got nothing. I've trashed a lot of shows my friends watch, while they watched them, and I was in the room. That's always fun.

I do try to be considerate, though. I wait for the commercial breaks. :D

AmandaAcidic
12-09-2008, 09:54 AM
I love that this kind of turned into a Buffy thread =]

maestrowork
12-09-2008, 10:00 AM
I watch the Sarah Connor Chronicles so I can say, "Who wrote this shit?" Plus Summer Glau is very cute.

blacbird
12-09-2008, 11:32 AM
I haven't checked through all this thread, so forgive me if it's already been mentioned, but:

CSI: Miami

My daughter (age 23, temporarily living back at the old homestead) and I watch it with regularity. It is the most unintentionally hilarious serious on TV. Absolutely idiotic, but damn! such style. We keep score of the number of times Horatio puts on/takes off his sunglasses. And, God, that lean-over posture . . .

caw

Shady Lane
12-09-2008, 04:37 PM
Sex and the City.

Grrarrgh
12-09-2008, 07:04 PM
I hate hate hate the Denny/Izzie storyline but I love Denny.

I'm the same way. I think that's why I still watch it. I hate hate hate hate that stupid story line, but getting to see Jeffrey Dean Morgan every week has been a huge bonus. Still the stupidest show on TV right now. Yet I can't look away.

jvc
12-09-2008, 07:35 PM
I watch the Sarah Connor Chronicles so I can say, "Who wrote this shit?" Plus Summer Glau is very cute.
I suppose I should add that I secretly watch this and secretly enjoy it. I have no clue why. I do however keep picking out inconsistencies in the stories though.

Toothpaste
12-09-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm the same way. I think that's why I still watch it. I hate hate hate hate that stupid story line, but getting to see Jeffrey Dean Morgan every week has been a huge bonus. Still the stupidest show on TV right now. Yet I can't look away.

Count me in as another Jeffrey Dean Morgan lover (and we'll get to see even more of him in Watchmen - yay!), yet story line hater. Also adore Kevin McKidd - check out avatar. Which means after giving up on Grey's Anatomy last year . . . I'm back. Le sigh.

The Lonely One
12-09-2008, 08:45 PM
I haven't checked through all this thread, so forgive me if it's already been mentioned, but:

My daughter (age 23, temporarily living back at the old homestead) and I watch it with regularity. It is the most unintentionally hilarious serious on TV. Absolutely idiotic, but damn! such style. We keep score of the number of times Horatio puts on/takes off his sunglasses. And, God, that lean-over posture . . .

caw

I spoke with a forensics supervisor who watches but hates the show as well. One thing he pointed out that made a sense -- if the sun sets OVER THE WATER in a show based in Miami, how many OTHER factual flaws are probably riddled throughout the show?

Mr. Chuckletrousers
12-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Aw, I like that show. :(

Out of curiosity, why do you think it is shit?

Mr. Chuckletrousers
12-09-2008, 09:03 PM

caw
Indeed. I think David Caruso must have found his acting skills in the bottom of a cereal box along with a plastic compass and a temporary tattoo saying "I'm A Douchebag!".

ASHER
12-09-2008, 09:28 PM
True Blood. It is such a trashy show and I can't stop watching it.

maestrowork
12-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Aw, I like that show. :(

Out of curiosity, why do you think it is shit?

I don't think it's shit, but the writing is not particularly good. It's the same old same old often; only lately did they have some new stuff. And the time thing is just inherently stupid -- it worked for three features, but to sustain a series for two seasons is a stretch -- especially with all these terminators coming back in time. I mean, why not just send an army back and plug it in and change history right there. They know where John Connor is, right (more or less which city)? -- why not just start a nuclear explosion right there -- END of STORY.

I wish they would stop that cat and mouse plot and focus more on Skynet. It's just getting a bit old.

I just mean it's a fun show to watch -- and I do secretly enjoy it -- but afterwards it leaves me a bad taste in my mouth because there are so many plot holes and illogic and characters doing some really stupid things (hello, John, you're 17 now and there are robots that want you dead everywhere you go, grow the hell up).

But I still watch it, because I can temporary rest my brain.

Mr. Chuckletrousers
12-09-2008, 09:59 PM
I don't think it's shit, but the writing is not particularly good. It's the same old same old often; only lately did they have some new stuff. And the time thing is just inherently stupid -- it worked for three features, but to sustain a series for two seasons is a stretch -- especially with all these terminators coming back in time. I mean, why not just send an army back and plug it in and change history right there. They know where John Connor is, right (more or less which city)? -- why not just start a nuclear explosion right there -- END of STORY.

I wish they would stop that cat and mouse plot and focus more on Skynet. It's just getting a bit old.

I just mean it's a fun show to watch -- and I do secretly enjoy it -- but afterwards it leaves me a bad taste in my mouth because there are so many plot holes and illogic and characters doing some really stupid things (hello, John, you're 17 now and there are robots that want you dead everywhere you go, grow the hell up).

But I still watch it, because I can temporary rest my brain.
Those are fair points. Time travel is inherently ridiculous, and that makes it very hard to avoid plotholes and inconsistencies ('12 Monkeys' only managed it by making the future impossible to change). And you are right -- for super intelligent and ruthless machines, SkyNet and the Terminators seem pretty retarded.

That said, I still quite like the show. It has a grimness about it that is hard to find on TV these days.

darkprincealain
12-09-2008, 10:10 PM

caw

I have to agree. There are orange or green colorwashes on that show for no apparent reason. They just like to place random lights on the floor and behind glass walls and stuff.

Okay, I might as well tell on myself. As hypocritical as it is, I make fun of soaps but have been watching As The World Turns for Luke and Noah. There is no good writing there... IMO it's pretty mindless.

maestrowork
12-09-2008, 10:12 PM
That said, I still quite like the show. It has a grimness about it that is hard to find on TV these days.

It's funny you should mention the grimness. I read in an article that next year, two big scifi movies are coming out: Star Trek, and Terminator Salvation. They say which one will do better depends on your philosophy: do you believe the future is grim and totalitarian (Terminator), or bright and near utopian (Star Trek).

Satori1977
12-11-2008, 02:05 AM
Ok, whoever makes is ashamed of Buffy should be shot. I am completely comfortable using the term obsessed when it comes to that show. I have every season on DVD and am in the middle of watching season 6, for the billionth time. My husband makes fun of me when I am reciting lines with the characters, or I start to crack up before a silly is made. And yes, some of the eps are cheesy, or downright bad (have to agree with Ted), and I didn't quite get into the initiative thing, but overall, one of the best shows ever created. Joss Whedon is a genius. Ok, I am done now.

I do get the Sarah Conner Chronicles. I was very excited about the show because I love the movies, but there are a lot of inconsistancies. Things that don't make sense in the show. They keep going around in circles, and have me going "huh?" a lot, but I keep watching the show.

Same thing with Grey's. Was a huge fan, now not so much. I complain almost ever episode, but I can't stop watching it. I think the Denny storyline is so unrealistic (now if Jeffrey Dean Morgan came back from the dead on Supernatural, totally believable, but not this show), but at the same time, I watch mostly for him....because I love the actor, and I love the character Denny. That smile just makes me want to start hallucinating amazing sex with his dead ghost. Like I said in the Grey's thread, he needs his own show.

Ok, now on to my confession (though I already feel like I have said too much, LOL). The show I keep watching that I make fun of but secretly like, is Drake and Josh. It is on Nick I think. And in my defense, I have two little kids who watch cartoons earlier in the day on the station sometimes. But when it comes on, I don't change the channel. I have really gotten into it. The two guys are hilarious and have great chemistry. I even taped the Christmas movie. Yep, I admit it. You all can start making fun of me now.

WackAMole
12-11-2008, 02:08 AM
*cough* *cough* Xena *cough*

Satori1977
12-11-2008, 02:08 AM
It's funny you should mention the grimness. I read in an article that next year, two big scifi movies are coming out: Star Trek, and Terminator Salvation. They say which one will do better depends on your philosophy: do you believe the future is grim and totalitarian (Terminator), or bright and near utopian (Star Trek).

I plan on seeing both. I love the idea of Star Trek and that future...makes me feel like I was born too early. But, I think it is more likely for the Terminator story to happen. With the way we (the human race) are going, we are definitely going to f*ck up our future, by either destroying it, or creating something that will destroy it. I have a little bit of an optimist in me, but the cynic is taking over.