Writing Grants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
I thought there was a thread about this somewhere but I can't seem to find it. Someone please direct me to it if I missed it?

How would one go about getting a writing grant? I've heard of authors being given money to stay home for a period of time and write. I was wondering how one could go about applying for such a thing or what makes one eligible..?

Thanks.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Tomo - There are some websites which list grants and contests - aboutcom or about.com is one of them. I've posted lists of short story contests in both historical and western genre, but have never included the grants that are also listed. Do some googling and I think you'll come up with some possibilities. Puma

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Depends where you are. Here in Canada, there are provincial and federal grants (as well as grants for specific cities), and they are all fairly competitive and difficult to get. The guidelines for every one are different.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Depends where you are. Here in Canada, there are provincial and federal grants (as well as grants for specific cities), and they are all fairly competitive and difficult to get. The guidelines for every one are different.

But ever so nice when they come in...

Ciera_

I wonder what sort of guidelines they use...I think I'll go google it, though I doubt I'm eligible. I'm in Canada as well, but I have a feeling they don't grant grants for my genre so much.

Okay, just checked, and full-time students are not eligible =( but I suppose the whole point is that you can stay home and write instead of working, and it's not like I'll starve if I don't work, living with my parents and all.

Last edited:

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
...many are listed, by state, in the back of the Writer's Market guide books. My cousin who is an artist has got several in recent years, which have paid her living expenses for 6 months to a year at a stretch. So it seems like a worthwhile venue to explore.

Status
Not open for further replies.