Finding the Right Magazine

Danni

Shoehorn.
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, there probably is no easy way to do this, but just on the off chance, I'm gonna ask.
I have a couple of humorous anecdotes that I'd like to try out on the publishing world. One is 1,200 words and the other 500. They aren't targeted for anything at all, just my adventures with household invaders: mice.
I know, ick.
But it turned into something funny, and I think I may have something here.
So, since I don't really have a target audience, what's the best way to go about finding a magazine who's looking for something like this? If it helps, I can post the stories, but I didn't want to be too cheeky and assume you'd all want to see them. :D
Thanks thanks thanks!

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
Okay, there probably is no easy way to do this, but just on the off chance, I'm gonna ask.
I have a couple of humorous anecdotes that I'd like to try out on the publishing world. One is 1,200 words and the other 500. They aren't targeted for anything at all, just my adventures with household invaders: mice.
I know, ick.
But it turned into something funny, and I think I may have something here.
So, since I don't really have a target audience, what's the best way to go about finding a magazine who's looking for something like this? If it helps, I can post the stories, but I didn't want to be too cheeky and assume you'd all want to see them. :D
Thanks thanks thanks!

Could always try for the Holy Grail. Smithsonian's 'Last Page'. Isn't it the Smithsonian? Someone poke me if I'm wrong...

Danni

Shoehorn.
Registered
Reaction score
The Holy Grail? Is that an actual magazine? Monty Python is all my mind can pull out of that phrase!

Last edited:

black ink

Registered
Reaction score
Google "personal essay markets" for some ideas.

I see you're a sahm. Is your story specific to being a woman or a mother? Can you make it that way?

Danni

Shoehorn.
Registered
Reaction score
I see you're a sahm. Is your story specific to being a woman or a mother? Can you make it that way?[/quote]

:Shrug:Um, I might could slant it that way... but it's really about my life-long battle against all things bug--and the crickets that led the mouse into my kitchen...and my dog who became quite the hunter...
My kid's only 7 months old and not quite to the involve-him-in-stories phase.

But, I am a woman and women are VERY squeamish about bugs, at least those of us who have any common sense.:)

June Casagrande

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.GrammarSnobs.com
It can't hurt to try op-ed sections of newspapers. Big papers are really tough to get into, but worth a shot. The smaller the paper the better the chance they need content. (I know you said magazines, but I only really know about newspapers.)

Good luck!

Laurie PK

Fulltime blogger & freelance writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theadventurouswriter.com
Reader's Digest is big on funny home-based stories. I think they have an online submission form on their website -- it really works as a contact for editors! I'd try them for this funny mouse story....

Danni

Shoehorn.
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I tried Reader's Digest and they have a cap of 300 words on their humor section... I'm hovering around 1200, and there really isn't any way to cut it down without taking out the humor, which would completely defeat the purpose.
But I hadn't thought of newspapers, thanks!

doeraymee

Registered
Reaction score
If it helps, I can post the stories, but I didn't want to be too cheeky and assume you'd all want to see them. :D
Thanks thanks thanks!

Just in case you weren't aware: If you post something on an open forum, it's considered published so you can't sell First Rights. So never post anything you're hoping to sell.

Storyteller5

Say something...
Registered
Reaction score
Just in case you weren't aware: If you post something on an open forum, it's considered published so you can't sell First Rights. So never post anything you're hoping to sell.

But the Share Your Work forum on here is alright though because it is password protected. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can post there without giving up first rights.