Mork and Mindy

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
When I was stuck on the couch last Friday with a stomach virus that sucked all the energy out of me, I was a captive audience for two hours during Sci-Fi's Mork and Mindy marathon.

I used to watch it when I was a kid and the show was new. I remember it was a hit craze and everyone loved it. But I do remember the latter episodes getting, at times: sentimental, preachy, or just plain weird.

Watching as an adult I realized just how overall weird this show really was. Mork was supposed to be an alien, sure, but to me he just came across as a very strange and eccentric adult man. There didn't seem to be anything outwardly alien about him. But in its time audiences loved it. And the show launched Robin Williams acting career.

More telling is knowing now that Robin Williams was coked up for most of the episodes of the show's run. Watching the show you can kind of see it in his face and body movements. Williams has openly discussed his coke habit for many years, and it was also shown in the made-for-tv-movie about Mork and Mindy a few years ago. Williams apparently became friends with John Belushi who introduced him to coke.

Not that Williams needed coke. According to that show, he was a standup comic in the LA area and the producers noticed him for his manic stage persona and hired him to appear as an alien named Mork in Happy Days. The show got spun off into a series and the rest is history.

Anyway, what is everyone else's impressions of Mork and Mindy?

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Funny, I used to love that show but I can't remember anything about it. I do remember wearing those Mork-inspired rainbow suspenders when I was 7.

I'll have to watch for the reruns.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Robin Williams is an incredibly compelling screen presence, coked up or otherwise. Mork and Mindy was Robin Williams. Everyone else in the show (except Johnathan Winters) was a second-rate, or even third-rate, actor. Robin improvised most of his lines and it became a wild and unpredictable ride for viewers. You really didn't know what he would say next. It was pure fun.

Granted, I haven't seen the show since way back when it was new, but I remember laughing uproariously at the outrageousness of Mork. How he sat on his face, misunderstood human sayings and customs, and so on. I loved it. Whether I'd love it now, I don't know. But it's not always easy to judge a cultural phenomenon in retrospect.

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't it a spin-off from Happy Days?

About 10 years ago I had a similar experience (bad flu, too weak to reach remote, watched M&M marathon) and David Letterman showed up in a bit part as some sort of salesman.

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
The first time I ever saw Robin Williams was when he appeared as Mork on Happy Days. I knew he's be somebody :D I have everything he's done. I'm with Wendy - I remember I liked it but really can't recall too much...
I do remember the card writer neighbor dude on one of his off days:

"Your little rabbit died,
poor little muffet
your 2 choices are
eat it or stuff it."

Good gawd my head has too much useless $hit in it! "Shazbot" :D

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I watched a few eps from last week's marathon. I loved this show as a kid. Even as an adult, I was laughing at RW's antics. The one thing that stuck with me from my memories was the giant egg he crash-landed in. Dunno why.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if Williams seemed coked up or in the throes of a manic episode. Not that the two are mutually exclusive.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
I used to watch this show religiously. It was one of the few I liked at the time, and was sad when it went off the air. Granted I was only 8 or 9 (can't remember when the show was on) but I loved it :) And yes, it was a spin-off from Happy Days.

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com
Funny you mention this, Underthecity, since I happened to catch some of that marathon while visiting my parents for Thanksgiving. I remember liking the show back in my pre-teen years and was surpised how stupid it seemed now in my 30's (well, late 30's). I found Robin Williams to be grating (coked up or not) and agree with you that he didn't strike me as "alien." Just some annoying misfit who wouldn't shut up. It's hard to imagine aliens with so much chest hair.