What are you doing to celebrate the passing of the 21st Amendment?

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
It was 75 years ago, December 5th that the 21st Amendment passed and Prohibition was repealed. What are you doing to celebrate?

I'm having an icy cold martini. What are you having?

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
It was 75 years ago today that a piece of local history took place at the bar where I worked up until this summer. During Prohibition, the cop that walked the regular beat in the neighborhood was obliged every six months or so to break up the illegal whiskey still hidden in the cellar underneath the 'grocery store' that eventually became the Fairview Inn. on the first day of legal drinking, he came into the establishment and gave the owner his billy club. he didn't need it any more. That bill club is still behind the bar to this day, and has been used for 75 years to maintain order in the bar.

I'm personally having a glass of wine. Happy drinking day.

Last edited:

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Had a bourbon on the rocks earlier, red wine with dinner, water now.

Woo-hoo! Great day to celebrate!

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I've had coffee and Fresca today, but I'd be willing to split a diet Coke (not shaken) with Ray...

While not as impressive as that amendment standing for 75 years, I've abstained from drinking alcoholic beverages for the last 20 years and 8 months, so I can celebrate having a (relatively) clear mind for that period of time and that I have not (see the Newbie Question Of The Day thread) driven while blind.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on that 20+ years. I've just finished my martini. Now I'm going after the olive!

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
silky little Merlot here....

Cassie

I can't get no, oh no no no.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cassiesperfectwordblog.typepad.com
I've had coffee and Fresca today, but I'd be willing to split a diet Coke (not shaken) with Ray...

While not as impressive as that amendment standing for 75 years, I've abstained from drinking alcoholic beverages for the last 20 years and 8 months, so I can celebrate having a (relatively) clear mind for that period of time and that I have not (see the Newbie Question Of The Day thread) driven while blind.

I'm impressed and congratulate you, Ben, on your 20+ years!

But, meanwhile, I've enjoyed a couple glasses of Chablis.

Last edited:

Cassie

I can't get no, oh no no no.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cassiesperfectwordblog.typepad.com
I appreciate the 21st Amendment (which repealed the 18th amendment mandating nationwide prohibition).

But how far can this go?

I understand that during the time of the Obama inauguration, the District of Columbia (D.C.) is going to allow bars to stay open and serve alcoholic beverages until FIVE O'CLOCK IN THE MORNING.

Yikes!

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
God bless the countries with Catholic majority. Alcohol is not only common, but part of the religious service :p

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I appreciate the 21st Amendment (which repealed the 18th amendment mandating nationwide prohibition).

But how far can this go?

I understand that during the time of the Obama inauguration, the District of Columbia (D.C.) is going to allow bars to stay open and serve alcoholic beverages until FIVE O'CLOCK IN THE MORNING.

Yikes!

There's a thing that is too much freedom.

Here elections are always on sunday and is illegal to sell alcoholic bevearages since the friday before. Bars and liquor stores open from 9 PM to 3 PM and there is selling restriction on holidays and whatnot.

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
I have to disagree, max. I think restrictions on when one can buy alchohol are stupid--mainly because the accomplish nothing. I know. I've lived in a dry county. We just went over the line and bought enough for the week. In places here where you can't sell on Sunday, people just buy twice as much on Saturday. I've done that too. :tongue

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I have to disagree, max. I think restrictions on when one can buy alchohol are stupid--mainly because the accomplish nothing. I know. I've lived in a dry county. We just went over the line and bought enough for the week. In places here where you can't sell on Sunday, people just buy twice as much on Saturday. I've done that too. :tongue

Yeah, we buy before as well; we ain't fools ;). My comment about "There's a thing that is too much freedom" wasn't about alcohol but in general... though in retrospective I see it was out of place...