Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
This is the bat:

bat.jpg

Which was killed by this cat:

mail.jpg

In the house where Angie lives.

Ew.

I almost stepped on it. I didn't have my contacts in yet, and just noticed a brown blur on the floor. Figuring it was a mouse, since Sweeney loves to leave his kills out for me, I bent to pick it up and realized...it had wings.

Landlord will be over TODAY to look for possible entry points.

*shudder*

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Poor bat.

The cat should get a rabies booster shot. If he's up to date on his shots it shouldn't be a problem. I think they just give a booster to be absolutely sure.

We had to do that when our dingbat brought home a squirrel.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whereas I think he did you a favor by leaving it for you to find. Now you have a heads-up on what could be a BIG problem.

And do get kitty a booster shot. Can't be too careful.

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
I hadn't thought of the booster...calling the vet right now.

And Shadow - the bathouse is a cool idea. Might give that a try. :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He is. And he's quite mouthy. Good company - he talks all the time. Especially if he's being yelled at, when -- I swear -- he gets a smartass tone to his meow. :ROFL:

He must be related to my loud mouth. Cat has a perpetual attitude, and we hear it all day long

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I like bats, but I don't want them in my home. The cat did his job, so I can't fault him for it at all.

We have two bats who frequently visit us when were in the hot tub at night. We have named them Ken and Barbie. They are really cool to watch, and they will swoop within inches of you before veering off.

All that said, it might be a good idea to take the ex-bat, in a ziplock, and the cat to a vet. Bats can carry disease. Better safe than sorry.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
My cat caught two within a year, one in the winter, which is really strange since they hibernate. But the exterminators came and looked for entry points and couldn't find any. It doesn't help that I live in a row of townhouses, and not in a separate house. :(

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
EXTERMINATORS? In the UK, all our bats are protected species and it's illegal to interfere with them. Luckily, all my cats are hopeless hunters so they've not been carted off to jail for catching the things.