Windows Vista decided I don't have a CD-Rom?!

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Howdy tech support folks. I just - finally - got a brand new laptop, and ACER Extensa 5420. I was chugging along fine for a week. Then, for no apparent reason, Windows Vista became convinced that I do not have a CD-Rom, nor can it locate any new hardware with the "find new hardware wizard". It is as if my CD-Rom never existed.

I was playing CDs on it for days. And installing my necessary softwares on CD. I was not done installing everything I needed.

My google-fu found nothing. Anyone know what the heck is going on?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
It might not be vista... the drive could be dead. I had a similar occurence with my DVD drive on a win xp box this summer. I had to replace the drive, even though if I pushed the button it opened, and when I put something in, I could hear it spinning. Windows said "nuh uh, no drive there mister."

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
I suspect, that since it coincided around an uninstall that it is, in fact, a Vista problem. It has been suggested that uninstalling software on Vista that uses the DVD drive causes the DVD to disappear or function incorrectly.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I suspect, that since it coincided around an uninstall that it is, in fact, a Vista problem. It has been suggested that uninstalling software on Vista that uses the DVD drive causes the DVD to disappear or function incorrectly.
Urgh

I gotta say... My webserver is win server 2008, and me like VERY much. I'm going to try and get my desktop units updated to that, because frankly, Vista is the Windows ME of the 21st century.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
badducky if this is really a brand new computer call your computer tech support.

What did you uninstall that used the DVD drive.

Got to Acer's website and see if they have the dvd driver to download.

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Please, god, please don't make me call computer tech support... I don't have time to sit on hold for three hours and push buttons while aimlessly waiting to be talked down to by someone that is only as smart as the boxes on the computer-screen in front of them...

*shivers*

I had tried to install Neverwinter Nights to build sample modules that I could throw around the video game HR peeps. It didn't run right, so I uninstalled. Problems ensued afterward.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Please, god, please don't make me call computer tech support... I don't have time to sit on hold for three hours and push buttons while aimlessly waiting to be talked down to by someone that is only as smart as the boxes on the computer-screen in front of them...

*shivers*

I had tried to install Neverwinter Nights to build sample modules that I could throw around the video game HR peeps. It didn't run right, so I uninstalled. Problems ensued afterward.

Badducky...it's a new computer. Use your warranty. I can stress this enough...when your computer is in warranty you really should use it...because if your drive is dead then they need to replace it. If you screw around you could screw up your computer worse.

Either way: Go to the Acer site and see if they have the drivers for your dvd drive available for download and try to reinstall the drivers. If that doesn't work make the call.

My friend A. had this same problem with her lap top. She screwed around because she was afraid of tech support. She's not stupid, and she can do quiet a lot of tech things herself. However she waited too long and now she has a laptop with a non working drive out of warranty.

Really, we're not that scary.

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score

Aha! It might be a SecuRom problem.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Since it's new, I very much recommend using your warranty. The possibility of a drive failure is quite likely.

Why don't you check in device manager if it detects the drive? Or even the BIOS. On mine, the computer tells me what drive I have when I boot up (on that black screen).

I always buy my comp stuff at places that I can visit easily as half the hardware I buy ends up being faulty. I just made two trips to the store over a faulty modem.

And, of course, everything works in the store.

StephenJSweeney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforthesolarsystem.com
Simple test - Pop in a bootable DVD or CD and reboot the machine.

If the drive picks up the DVD/CD and boots it, then the drive is working fine*

If that's the case then it means that Windows Vista is being crap. Solution is to either,

1) Hunt for new drivers
2) Re-install Vista
3) Reformat your drive and put XP on instead
4) Buy a Mac

(* - You'll have to check your BIOS settings to make sure that booting from the CD/DVD drive takes priority over the hard drive, since some manufacturers don't have that, for some stupid reason)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com

That really makes me appreciate my Apple Care (although I did have one guy at the Genius Bar who irritated me so much).

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
I will be making the dreaded phone calls in the AM.

I don't actually have a speakerphone, so I'll get to hold the soothing music to my ear while I wait on hold. Nothing offends me quite so much as art designed specifically to be inoffensive like hold music.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
my lap top did this recently to me, just with my mouse pad.

have you tried un plugging it, and removing the battery? get it dead off the power and let it sit for about five minutes and it can fix a a lot of problems.