PDA

View Full Version : Most Underrated Writer

inkkognito
12-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Who do you find to be the most underrated writer you've ever read? Do you have a favorite writer/book that never really got the attention it deserved? For me, it's John Powers and "The Unoriginal Sinner and the Ice-Cream God." If you know him at all, it's probably because of the play "Do Black Patent Leather Shoes Really Reflect Up," but that book is actually part of a triology. I love all three books, but the last one is truly the best. It's one of those books that I buy in used bookstores and hand out frequently to friends. Part of its appeal is that I grew up in Chicago and it talks about the neighborhoods I knew, but I'd love it no matter where it took place. Anyone else have a hidden gem book that you love by a writer who never got his/her full due?

willietheshakes
12-04-2008, 08:47 PM
John Crowley.

Little, Big is one of the finest novels of the last fifty years...

James81
12-04-2008, 09:03 PM
James Frey

He takes so much negative flack for what he did, that people don't appreciate what he wrote...which is fantastic.

Adam Hammonds
12-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Bioy-Casares.

Read THE INVENTION OF MOREL. It's as good as any other magical realist novel out there.

dclary
12-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Me, of course.

Shadow_Ferret
12-04-2008, 10:59 PM
Me, of course.
Dammit!

Missed that joke by this much!

dclary
12-04-2008, 11:06 PM
Dammit!

Missed that joke by this much!

Maybe we could start a "most overrated author" thread for you?

;)

:poke:

moderan
12-04-2008, 11:28 PM
Good nominations. I grew up in Chicago too, and Powers nails a lot of that experience. Crowley is severely under-rated. Beasts is my favorite of his, though Engine Summer has the best title.
John Brunner is my nominee. Never read a bad book by his hand, and seven or eight of them are just superlative. George Alec Effinger is a close second for me. Bob Shaw a third.

blacbird
12-04-2008, 11:43 PM
James Frey

He takes so much negative flack for what he did, that people don't appreciate what he wrote...which is fantastic.

You are aware that there are two James Freys, aren't you? The good writer, best known for his How to Write a Damn Good Novel books is emphatically not the sleazebag infamous for the Million Little Pieces debacle. No relationship at all.

As for underappreciated, I nominate Walter Van Tilburg Clark, author most famously of the western novels The Ox-Bow Incident and The Track of the Cat. He wasn't a prolific writer, but he was careful and sure, and those two novels far transcend the "Western" genre and rank among the finest novelistic achievements by any American writer of the 20th Century.

caw

childeroland
12-05-2008, 12:31 AM
Second on John Crowley.

His Aegypt series and his novella 'Great Work of Time' are also indispensable.

Gogoplata712
12-05-2008, 01:15 AM
Me, of course.

I came into the topic to say that. :D

gypsyscarlett
12-05-2008, 01:21 AM
John Crowley.

Little, Big is one of the finest novels of the last fifty years...

Love it. :snoopy:

I'll add Charles de Lint to the list. In his urban fantasies he's never afraid to tackle really dark subjects, yet there's always lots of hope in them.

James81
12-05-2008, 07:52 AM
You are aware that there are two James Freys, aren't you? The good writer, best known for his How to Write a Damn Good Novel books is emphatically not the sleazebag infamous for the Million Little Pieces debacle. No relationship at all.

Didn't realize there were two of them. *shrug*

And you illustrate my point. They judge him based off what he did, and not on his writing. And even the ones who claim to judge his writing are tainted by what he did.

ideagirl
12-06-2008, 06:05 AM
Elizabeth Hand, Mortal Love. Fantastic, fantastic, fantastic.

Akuma
12-06-2008, 06:21 AM
Lawrence Watt-Evans. He doesn't write with all the purple prose of a lot of fantasy, and he can turn a seemingly generic premise into something riveting. (I'm buying my sister his Obsidian Chronicles for Christmas :))

seun
12-06-2008, 04:35 PM
I came into the topic to say that. :D

Ditto.