Status
Not open for further replies.

Elonna

I'm a dork
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elonna.com
This question is really a subjective one, but it came to me in after reading responses to a piece I posted in "Share Your Work."

As a reader, do you prefer to be plunged into the initial conflict of a story, or do you like to be led in slowly, have a little background information about the situation first?

Just a question of curiosity really, because I have read authors that do it both ways, and if the story is good (not implying my shared piece was good by the way), it works for me both ways. Just wondering how other people felt about it.

And, since there will be people on both sides of this, how can you, as a writer, compensate and please both groups?

Last edited:

wardmclark

Woods bum
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frombearcreek.com
I tend to wade in slowly, building up a solid background and setting the stage before beginning the action.

I have no reason for that other than "it works for me." Your mileage may vary.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Do I need to know about the preamble, or is it just padding?

If the former, fine, but make it interesting; if the latter, why isn't it on the cutting room floor?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Know your story. Where does it really begin? In Alice in Wonderland, the story really begins when she's in her oridinary world... because the ending is a full circle. Same with OZ. Now, in Harry Potter, we also have "ordinary world" but we are immediately introduced to the wizards. It takes a while before Harry even knows what's going on. But it works. It's never "boring."

Some stories doesn't require that ramp-up time, because the ordinary world doesn't matter to the story. You can have Alice inside the looking glass immediately if she's never gonna come back. Or Harry at Hogwart's if he's not going to come back to the muggle's world. Otherwise, either way (start with a set up, or use flashback/dialogue/expo/whatever) you'll need to explain that ordinary world.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
it depends, of course. generally, and this is just my opinion, most epic fantasy starts off slow, building up a little backstory involving a perfect shire, burrough, city, whatever, to illustrate why their world is worth saving before the innocent misfits are recruited for a long journey to destroy the great evil threatening their destruction. depending on how much the author feels he needs to pad his story depends on how long this goes on, but my experience is it doesn't go on for more than a good sized chapter out of a trilogy. then there are lots of references to some specifics along the way, invariably remembering the taste of some food, some event, or some virginal halfling babe with big knockers working at the tavern. that's just the kind of stuff i expect from traditional epic fantasy writing. (personally, were i to start one of those, and i probably will never do one, it'd start off with the hero on his deathbed and recalling the events that led to his mortal wound. you'd know from the get-go you're involving yourself with a character on his last legs and you'd read it anyway. sucker.) on occassion, it might start off with an ancient battle that sets up the current events, but that's pretty cheesy at this point.

single self-contained fantasy books i've read in the past few years (which have vastly been dominated by TSR (dungeons and dragons) publications), like to start off with a bit of action, like the thief doing his thing and making a narrow escape only to find out he is a she and she's the daughter of a prominant merchant. note that the epic has a longer ramp-up due to its ensemble nature, while following a character or two tends to be more action oriented.

how do you do both? well, you either have action from page one or you don't. is there a middle ground? you could focus on one of the ensemble characters as he's marching off to the final conflict, the din of battle in the distance, then go into flashback mode. you get a sense of impending action that way and the reader knows what to expect by the end without knowing the outcome. is that middle ground? obviously at some point you have to do some world-building. the reader may be curious to know why exactly one of the heroes are marching in the ranks of the orc army against the last bastion of goodness.

depending on what i read depends on how i expect the book to start. as a writer, what excites and challenges me most about the process is the arrangement of events. writing things out on a flat plane doesn't do much for me unless the idea demands it. otherwise, like in an epic fantasy, the only way i could possibly be enticed to write such a thing would be to play with its construction. for instance, i like the aftermath of an event. remember the beginning of 'pirates of the caribbean', where they come across a destroyed ship and the black pearl is escaping into the mist? that's a perfect beginning to me. it establishes characters, background, and sets up the mystery. what more could you ask? i love 'indiana jones'-style openings, too.

(come to think of it, the PotC opening is rather illogical. there are several unanswered questions i have there, but maybe they're answered in the movie and i just don't remember, heh heh. anyway....)

since i tend to go in for stories with a few characters, starting it off with some action works for me. you can do quite a bit of world and character building with action, action speaking louder than words and all that and 'show, don't tell'. that's really more the kind of thing i expect there.

really, though, i don't place too much emphasis on how the story starts either way. if your ship is spinning out of control, on trial for insubordination or he starts off in a cubicle or sitting on his front porch waiting for the wizard makes none to me if it's appropriate and that's what i'm in the mood for.

how do you please both groups? well, i reckon first you have to please yourself. i write what i want to write first, then take the reader into consideration, because if i start off writing only for them, there's no point putting my name of it. there are plenty of hacks out there who write simply to get published, which very much negates the reason for my literary existance if all i'm doing is trying to get my name out there and don't have any personal feelings for the thing, and i can't have any attachment to it unless i'm involved a lot deeper than being the conduit for cliche stories. i'd otherwise get into scratch model building as a diversion, lol.

eh, *shrugs shoulders*, either way works for me. as a writer i like to be a bit more inventive in the arrangement, though, if the story allows that. i *tend* to start off slow if it's a novel, but nearer to instant action for short stories. even then, though, i tend to focus on the tension in a situation than the action. anyone who's slogged through my 'the last outpost' in share your work can get an overall feeling for how i handle a short story (okay, a long short story). (you can also see why i don't write a lot of action, lol). in that, it's an alamo-impending-doom thing more than an action story. it was just a story that interested me with no regards with compensating to appeal to anyone else. i just find that when i start writing stories and begin making all sorts of compromises to it to suit what i think the reader expects, it turns out to be the reason why i stopped reading as much as i used to: that is, what's the point? i've certainly limited whatever potential readership i'd garner had i caved in and given everyone exactly what they want, but oh well, popularity clearly isn't high on my priority list, lol.

it raises an interesting question, doesn't it? i mean, compromise is a pretty big part of a relationship, this being the relationship between the writer and reader. so, to a certain extent, you *should* give 'em what they want, no? on the flip-side, this is my story and i'm telling it to you: this isn't a collaboration, take it for what it is or go to hell if you don't like it. i guess the balance there depends on how much of an artist you feel like being versus how much of a hack you are. no bonus points for guessing which side i put more weight on, lol. i don't tack on happy endings so the reader has fuzzy feelings in the end, nor do i start them off in any other way than it's because what the story dictates and it's the beginning i'm most interested in. consequently, i don't do the opposite just to be different.

i like reading both beginnings. i like writing both kinds. that's just one thing i look for when i open up a book. especially in the beginning i'm not expecting to be gripped hard, i'm more looking at style. i'm very tired and just blathering, so i'll stop now after meeting my sixty thousand words per post quota, heh heh.

Sharon Mock

Wing nut
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kirizal.livejournal.com
It really does depend on the individual work.

If you wade in, make sure you start with forward motion. Conflict, something out of the ordinary, something that foreshadows what's to come. Not only is more than a few paragraphs of mundane establishing shot usually uninteresting to read, it's usually excruciatingly painful to write.

If you leap in with both feet, make sure you've given a reader a reason to invest in what's going on. Make sure the events are clear and concise and that you're not suffocating the reader with backfill.

I tried to start my WIP in media res, but the underlying sociopolitical situation is so complex and so essential that I've had to push the beginning back several times. I think I'm starting in the right place now, finally. Though not with the right events. But at least it's progress.

CalicoBean

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading Greg Keyes's The Briar King, an epic fantasy (book one of what I believe will be a four book series). Keyes has a prologue which begins right in the middle of a great battle, then the first few chapters switch to more of a slow building up (a definite wading in).

I think the key to either approach is having fully alive characters from the start. I hung in with the initial battle even though I had no idea what was going on because I was intrigued with the two main characters of that scene. I was willing to hang in with the first couple of slow chapters (the wading in) because again I was willing to live with the main characters for a while 'til things picked up.

The issue probably is one of ymmv, but characters are key for me. I try to remember that in my own writing, though it seems to me that making characters really come alive for the reader is one of the most difficult aspects of writing.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

I don’t think a wham-bang opening is necessary. But many feel it is an easier way to hook your reader.

The only essential really is some sort of conflict that will intrigue the reader and cause them to read further. That is why action scene opening’s are often used by many writers.

With action it is easier to evoke images in the reader and the pace causes them to speed through until they find themselves at chapter 2 or whatever. Plus when using action-oriented prose, it’s easier to show your character through their actions – which means easier identification and bonding with your character.

But a slower beginning is just as fine as long as there is some kind of conflict – meaning opposing action/circumstance to your character’s action/curcumstance – not necessarily violence, action etc. Even if it’s just the character trying to sleep and the phone rings, waking him up. As long as it keeps the reader turning the page to find out more – either about your character or about your world or about your character’s situation.

The only thing is that - the slower the beginning, the stronger the writing needs to be. With a slower pace beginning, you must still find a way to show your character (through action, dialogue etc) and keep the reader intrigued. You must use language that will evoke strong images in your reader but since the pace is undoubtedly slower - the weaker the writing, the greater the risk of losing your reader (or an editor) before the action really starts.

One thing many writers do is to write an opening with a small-scale, introductory conflict that eventually leads to the main conflict of the story. The small conflict allows you to let your reader get to know your character, the world you’ve created and lets them get adjusted to your world and your style while still keeping them reading.

As an example:

Joe Brightblade has just left an inn and thinks he is being followed. As he makes his way through the streets, you can slowly show your world and your character while keeping the reader intrigued because he (and the reader) doesn’t know who’s following him or why.

Then he is attacked, a fight ensues and while he kills/runs off two of the attackers – the 3rd one has him at bay and is about to kill him. Suddenly the attacker is bought down by a mysterious helper who claims she/she was sent to find Joe Brightblade – he is the world’s only hope!!!

Kinda cliché-ish but it’s just a fantasy type example off the top of my head and shows what I mean by keeping the reader interested by keeping the questions coming.

At the end of the chapter, the reader is wondering who the hell the attackers were, who this rescuer is, why Joe is so important to her and her world-saving club, what the hell is going on etc.

You want the reader wanting to know what’s going on (to a certain extent) for a while – at least until they become attached to your characters and your world.

That’s why beginnings are so important. They’re like first dates. You need to make a good impression so they will want a second date and get to know you better, but you also need to keep a little mystery at first. Once they fall in love with you – then they’ll be more willing to forgive any minor lapses in your storytelling.

Just my input…

Last edited:

azbikergirl

I really do look like this.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fantasyauthor.blogspot.com
As a thrill-seeker, I tend to prefer plunging than wading in, but when the writing is really good, I'll wade, plunge, sink, swim -- whatever the author wants. I'm reading Assassin's Apprentice (Robin Hobb) now. Although it's a slower-moving story, I am enjoying every word of it.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Ooooooo!!

The Assassin Trilogy is EXCELLENT!! Have you read the Liveship Traders Trio by Hobb?

That's a perfect example too. Her writing is superb, and while the beginning is not action packed - it is written in first poerson and she makes the character intiguing.

Plus, once again, the opening poses questions that the reader wants answered:

Who is this person and how did they get this way????

azbikergirl

I really do look like this.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fantasyauthor.blogspot.com
Exactly! I am SO happy to have the whole trilogy in front of me -- haven't read Lifeship Traders, but a friend has just gotten it and she's practically giddy. It's been so long since I've read an author so gifted with storytelling. I'm reading for pleasure now, but later I'll go back and analyze her writing. I couldn't write like her -- she has a very different style than I do -- but I think I could learn a lot from her.

whitehound

Resident rodent-freak
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.whitehound.co.uk
Each to their own: I tried one of the Lifeship books, but I got bored with it after a few pages and ended up giving it to a charity shop.

I find for me, the writing style is paramount. When I was 16 I had the patience to wade through dry writing to find an interesting plot, but at 46 if I open a book at random and the style of the first few paragraphs I see doesn't grab me, I'm probably not going to bother.

If it does, though... I recently spent a fortune I couldn't afford, and several weeks of my life, obsessively ploughing through the whole Outremer sequence in one go, because the first few paragraphs chosen at random *had* grabbed me.

zornhau

Swordsman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
This is a genre/sub-genre question. Classical example: Jurasic Park wades into the dinosaurs because it's a Thriller, not Scifi, which would plunge in.

It partly depends on what the story's about.

preyer

excessively spartan
Registered
Reaction score
perhaps to help joe brightblade seem a little more interesting at the risk of sacrificing a little characterization (at least what can be derived from the mundane things like leaving the tavern), you could start him off hiding behind a corner catching his breath and looks at his bloody hands. his reaction to that is pretty telling, eh? he peeks around the corner to find his assailants stalking the dark alley, carefully seeking him out. by paragraph two, his reaction tells you all you need to know about the type of person he is, whether he runs screaming like a girl, looks around for a way to divide his persuers to take them out, or just draws his knife and plunges into the fray. is he terrified by the blood on his hands or just wipes them on the wall, otherwise non-plussed? not only would that be more interesting as a reader, but it'd be by far more interesting to write. it also plays to a younger crowd, i feel, who's more used to action at the snap of a finger. then again maybe i was born to write commercials, lol.

CB's example of using a prologue to have a battle in the opening of a fantasy epic is very much akin to my example in the previous post. a prologue is where this stuff belongs. of course it depends on how appropriate it is, but just to me, as a writer, if i'd done something like that i'd have tried to start with the aftermath and save battle action for later. a survivor carefully picking his way through the carnage is more interesting to me than the left flank beginning to wane or the archers on the wall running out of arrows: the place for that, in my story, would be for later. details like that in the beginning just have absolutely no meaning.

the point is where you start in an action sequence can be as interesting as the action itself. especially if you have something rather cliche like brightblade, maybe starting a bit later puts enough of a spin on it to throw the reader off the scent that your opening doesn't exactly reach for the stars. i mean, if you're going to start off with some action, damnit, start off with some action, lol.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
whitehound said:
Each to their own: I tried one of the Lifeship books, but I got bored with it after a few pages and ended up giving it to a charity shop.
Really? LOL!! One of the things I find endlessly fascinating is how tastes differ. Which is a good thing!

I originally read it back in '98 and by then had been definitely fed up with the cliched fantasy novel. Some of the things that drew me into the book were:

The fact that there were no elves, hobbits or dwarves,

It wasn’t a typical middle-age world,

It wasn’t knights with swords fighting orcs and goblins,

There wasn’t an evil overlord and a race of mindless, totally evil beings that followed him/it,

There wasn’t an orphan with a hidden noble ancestry,

There was no prophecy,

There was no magical super-good device that would save the world,

The bad guys weren’t absolutely evil to the bone (or what I call Just Cuz Evil) – they were just people with different agendas than the protagonists.

The characters displayed a full range of human emotion – the hero’s weren’t goody-goodies who’s teeth sparkled and who only radiated wholesome good thoughts. They made mistakes, showed bad judgment, knew greed, lust, jealousy as well as bravery, etc.

It was well-written.

I enjoyed the opening chapter and was intrigued by Kennit the pirate, whom Robb displayed as cunning, greedy, wicked etc – yet oddly enough – still likable!! That’s another one of the things that drew me in – a true rogue! Plus it says much of a writer’s skill when they can make such an unsavory character sympathetic and likable!

Last edited:

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Which leads me to something else concerning beginnings.

No matter whether you go with a fast paced action opening or a slower paced opening - the most important thing is to intrigue the reader and raise questions in them. Every successful SFF openeing I've ever read - regardless of writing style or POV etc always asks questions that the reader must then read on to find the answers to.

The opening chapter should ask a story question that will pique the reader's curiosity.

Who is this person?
Why do they want that?
How did they get into that situation?
How will thet get out?
Will they get what they want?
What the hell's going on?

Openings should be about raising questions. The rest of the story is about answering them...

Last edited:

whitehound

Resident rodent-freak
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.whitehound.co.uk
The writing-style just didn't grab me I'm afraid - and they are enormously long books and I don't have much free time or much patience with fantasy anyway, so I couldn't spare the time to give them a whirl and see if they improved. That's not to say they aren't good - but it's like music: even if a piece is very good of its type, if it's not the sort of music you like, you probably won't enjoy it. I can tell the difference between good jazz and bad jazz - but however good it is I'm still not going to like it much.I personally adore Terry Pratchett (despite the fantasy element) but several of my friends find his style too obtrusive.

spacejock2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spacejock.com.au
Short stories: I like to be dropped into them with just enough to know which way is up. The first few sentences should set the scene, preferably through the protagonist's eyes, and without dumping a history lesson on my head. You don't have the luxury of slow-moving paragraphs, because an editor reading the piece is trying to decide whether their readers are going to persist or give up.

Novels: Here you have room to move. Be aware that most people considering a novel from a writer they've never heard of (that's most of us ;-) will check the back cover blurb, and if that sounds interesting they will read the first page right there in the book store. If the first page is boring, slow or convoluted you have less chance of picking up a new fan. (I'm not talking about people who picked up your book because a friend gave it a thumbs up, just casual browsers.) So, although you have bags of space to fill with fascinating historical facts you still need an interesting first page.

whitehound

Resident rodent-freak
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.whitehound.co.uk
That is a very good point, which led me to experiment with the WIP. If you read the following as a cover blurb, do you think it would grab you and encourage you to read more?

---------------------------------------------

On a world of fierce winds and towering mountains the Urrrchauuu, four-footed hunter-gatherers, must decide whether to make peace with humanity - or eat it. If they choose to make peace they may still have to make war; for they must also decide whether or not to intervene in a campaign of racial and religious persecution being waged by one human tribe against another.

High against the cold sky, among the ruins of an ancient civilization, a secret crime is being committed. An Urrrchauuu agent and a woman of the persecuted an-t'Hassa must travel far, from the sea to the mountains and the great fault-scar of Half-Mile Cliff, from the fallen cities to the freezing swamps of the Dead Land, before they can uncover what crime it is, and rearrange the political map of a continent.

whitehound

Resident rodent-freak
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.whitehound.co.uk
Urrrchauuu. It means something like "runners" and is pronounced <short growl><fading howl>. These things look like a three-way cross between a wolf, a foal and a mangy hearthrug, and their language sounds like a cat-fight in an aluminium dustbin.

If you're writing fantasy, you can have a dragon that speaks English and nobody will worry about it: but if you're writing SF, realistically something which has a mouth completely different in shape from a human mouth is going to have great difficulty pronouncing human languages, and will in turn have a language which humans have great difficulty pronouncing. "Urrrchauu" is probably about as close to the actual sound of the word in their language as "meow" is to the real sound a cat makes.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Er, sorry, Whitehound, but it's too wordy and too vague for me. I would pass.
Bufty

whitehound

Resident rodent-freak
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.whitehound.co.uk
Mm, but cover-blurbs on SF usually *are* more wordy than the actual writing inside, and it's difficult to summarize it without being vague, because it's full of twists - and anything too specific may give away part of the plot before I want to.

Even refering to the swamps of the Dead Land is giving away a point - because in the story itself, the first time the Dead Land is mentioned it's in a context that will encourage readers to think it's a religious/mythological reference: it takes several chapters for them to find out that it's a real place.

That is itself another question: how far is it desirable to give away the plot of the story, spoil your cunning surprizes and put safety-harnesses on your clif-hangers, in order to attract readers by telling them what to expect?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.