Dirtiest (chain) restaurants...

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
1. Taco Bell. In addition to having less-than-stellar health and safety reports, a multistate E. coli outbreak linked to Taco Bell stores secured it a place on this list. More than 70 people in five states were sickened after eating at Taco Bell restaurants in November and December 2006. The bacteria were traced to chopped onions.

2. Jack in the Box. One of the most famous E. coli outbreaks occurred at Jack in the Box restaurants in 1993, when hundreds of people became sick and four children died after eating tainted hamburgers. Dozens of lawsuits were filed; one 12-year-old girl who lapsed into a coma after eating at the restaurant was awarded a $15.6 million settlement. Since then, Jack in the Box has set up several ways of ensuring the safety of their meat, including adding a new testing mechanism for E. coli and increasing the meat cooking temperatures.

3. Sonic. Sonic advertises itself as "America's drive-in"—and maybe it's better that you don't get to see how dirty the inside of the restaurants are. Besides having the worst employee hygiene of all restaurant chains, Sonic also has the second highest number of repeat health violations, according to healthinspections.com, which reviewed more than 7,000 records. A dead fly in an ice cube and black mold on onion ring covers were among the disturbing violations discovered at Sonic locations.

4. KFC. Colonel Sanders' famed restaurant ranked the second worst for hygiene violations. This rating includes KFC employees who did not wash their hands before touching food and improperly sanitized cooking utensils, among other violations. The fried chicken chain also ranked number four among chains with repeat health violations.

5. Arby's. The popular roast beef joint had the most repeat violations of all chains reviewed and ranked sixth for poor employee hygiene. In fact, dirty meat slices at two different locations—one in Washington state and another in Georgia—were linked to food poisoning. More than 70 people were believed to be sickened due to the Georgia outbreak.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
First let me concur with your choices, and if I may add Long John Silvers to that list. Back in the day they use to be the cleanest place you could visit with tasty if not saturated greasy fish. However, I haven't been able to stand inside the three I know of in the Chicago area in at least 5 years with out wanting to barf. The grease has now spread from the fish to every part of the restaurant including the floor which takes a certain amount of ice skating talent to navigate if you wish to make it to the counter without falling. In addition, the talent that stands behind the counters are usually covered in flour, or some combination of crust that never actually made it onto the fish, however it is obvious from the rotund size of the counter help that many fish have found their way into the pie holes of these individuals. If that wasn't enough to turn you off fish for a while then the smell of spoiled wine vinegar that permeates the building will surely turn your stomach. In addition the establishment has taken to leaving the tables aloft in garbage from previous guests as a sign that someone, somehow managed to actually consume food in this God awful place. Good thread Ray, I've been waiting to rant on Long John Silvers, "it ain't good for me" (catchy little tune)

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
3. Sonic. Sonic advertises itself as "America's drive-in"—and maybe it's better that you don't get to see how dirty the inside of the restaurants are. Besides having the worst employee hygiene of all restaurant chains, Sonic also has the second highest number of repeat health violations, according to healthinspections.com, which reviewed more than 7,000 records. A dead fly in an ice cube and black mold on onion ring covers were among the disturbing violations discovered at Sonic locations.

5. Arby's. The popular roast beef joint had the most repeat violations of all chains reviewed and ranked sixth for poor employee hygiene. In fact, dirty meat slices at two different locations—one in Washington state and another in Georgia—were linked to food poisoning. More than 70 people were believed to be sickened due to the Georgia outbreak.

Oh say it ain't so! These are two of my favorite fast food chains! Well, we don't have any Sonics around here yet, but cherry limeaide anyone?

Boo. I'm going to pretend I didn't see this thread...

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah...and I had Arby's today. *barf*

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
We don't have any of those restaurants here except KFC. Luckily I don't eat it now but I used to almost live on it! My 7 year old won't eat it because she says it's cruel to chickens.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I can't believe Burger King is not on that list. I haven't been inside a Burger King in about 10 years...because I had finally had enough of the filth. Still...I feel they got the #1 right. The last time I was inside a Taco Bell, I left without ordering. They are unbelievably filthy. Every time I ever went inside one the floor was a mass of filth. Not just food particles, but garbage everywhere.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm surprised they didn't mention the sea of bones, grease, and used napkins on the floor and tables in the dining room of KFC. The three I've been to here in the Twin Cities area are absolutely disgusting.

The nicest one I've been in? The one in Croydon, outside of London. Yeah, don't get there very often, for some reason...

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
First let me concur with your choices, and if I may add Long John Silvers to that list.

Gosh, I stopped going to LJS because the last time (like 10 years ago or something) their food was soaking wet with grease. It was disgusting. I'm surprised the chain is still around. I guess some people like their grease and filth.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
Actually I stopped eating at Long john silvers and just stop by when my car needs a lube. Order a three piece Fish, toss it out the window and run it over several times until the tires are soaked, more than enough grease finds its way into the ball joints, and as an added bonus acts as a underbody rust inhibitor. Just don't slam the breaks for a thousand miles or so, and whatever you do, avoid this during hot summer months, takes a while for the smell to die down, cheap though...

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
1. Sonic.
2. Jack in the Box.
3. KFC.
4. Arby's.
5. Taco Bell.

In my experience, that's the line-up as I see it. I haven't ever seen a clean Sonic. I won't eat there, period. I once had Sonic and Jack in the Box as my only choices for lunch. I hated it. Now I just can't walk into one.

I have, once about every seven years or so, eaten at KFC because there's no other choice, when I'm out of town, staying at a hotel with no rental car sorta thing. Out of the three times I've eaten at KFC over the last twenty years, I've gotten sick from it every time.

I'll still eat at Arby's and Taco Bell, though.

Sadly, Taco Bell is the best Mexican food in Vegas. That's how bad the Mexican food is here. I never went to a Taco Bell when I lived in San Antonio that I can recall.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Even though I won't buy anything from a Jack in the Box, I just love their commercials on TV.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
The Japanese are clean freaks. Have you tried their automatic hand-free "cleaning" toilets yet?

Haven't found a place that has those yet, but I'm told once I get farther away from the base, we'll find them. One more thing to add to my "to do" list while I'm here. :D

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
The Japanese are clean freaks. Have you tried their automatic hand-free "cleaning" toilets yet?

I've heard of something similar in the mid-east, where they don't use toilet paper. You do the necessary with your hand (that's why chopping a thief's hand is so bad, because they eat with one hand and take care of business with the other. You don't want to eat with a one handed dude in the Mid-east.) Then, once you're done, you just stick your hand into a nearby hole. . .

. . .where a guy smacks your fingers with a couple bricks. . .

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I never eat out because I have a neurosis quirk about people touching my food. But my friend was at Taco Bell and there was the guy making tacos, right after he finished picking his nose

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I never eat out because I have a neurosis quirk about people touching my food.

Hmmmm....that would make a great character quirk in a story (even though I'm sure it's been done before)

And ew about the picking the nose. Ew, ew, ew.

Don Allen

Registered
Reaction score
I never eat out because I have a neurosis quirk about people touching my food. But my friend was at Taco Bell and there was the guy making tacos, right after he finished picking his nose

Come on!!!! Thats how they make the "Taco Supreme" good eating them tacos......