Agent is calling tomorrow...

trickywoo

Registered
Reaction score
I've read through the past posts about what to expect from this first call. So I'm nervous but really excited as well. We've e-mailed back and forth about the manuscript, and everything looks positive.

My main question (besides, "Is this really happening?") has to do with what is considered professional regarding contacting other agents.

If this agent who is calling offers representation, I want to accept. I've researched her - she's great - all our interactions have been professional, efficient and, even more important, she sounds enthusiastic about my work.

Right now I only have about twenty queries out - with whatever was requested (5 pages, 10 pages, etc.) and one full. But the full wasn't specially requested by the agency - it's part of their submission requirements, and they take 12 weeks to look at it.

So, if my dream agent offers on the phone tomorrow can I accept on the spot? Do I need to contact agents whom I've queried to let them know I've been offered representation?

As best as I can tell, I don't - only if a specific agent has requested a partial or full - which hasn't happened.

If she does offer and if I do accept, it seems I should e-mail those I've queried and let them know I've accepted an offer, right?

Thanks for your help!

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
If you get an offer (yay!), you're free to accept on the spot. I'd e-mail the agency that has your full and say you are withdrawing your manuscript for consideration. It's simple courtesy to save them some time.

As for the other five or ten page queries, I think you'd be okay to wait and respond to them if they ask for more material from you. But it wouldn't hurt to send them an e-mail, either.

Last edited:

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, trickywoo! How excited you must be, and nervous. You've got the right idea. Since you don't have requested material out, and you are set on accepting an offer from this agent should that happen, then go for it. Definitely let the other agents know if you accept an offer, even if they just have the query. You don't need to, but it is polite and professional and I'm sure most would appreciate it, esp. the agency with the full.

If you had requested material out, then I would not accept the offer on the spot, and ask for a few days to think it over. Then I would contact the other agents who were considering the work, and give them a chance to respond before accepting the offer.

Get some sleep, take some deep breaths. Good luck. Keep us posted on the outcome!

trickywoo

Registered
Reaction score
Um...I don't think I'll sleep tonight after all.

The agent just e-mailed and concluded the e-mail with an offer of representation. !!!!!!

I am looking forward to speaking with her tomorrow and am happy to know that I can freely accept her offer.

Thanks for the input!

writingmom

Happy To Be !
Registered
Reaction score
WOW & CONGRADULATIONS !

I am so jealous, and yet very excited for you and happy! I can't even make my querry work, lol. Peace & Happy Writing :D

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
Kristin Nelson, on her blog, has some really good questions to ask during the first conversation. I tried to find it for you, but found this instead:

http://bookendslitagency.blogspot.com/2007/04/questions-to-ask-before-signing-with.html

If you're feeling nervous and need something to do, I'd suggest trying to find Kristin Nelson's advice. I thought it was wonderful.

From experience, I'd ask about how the agent goes about submitting, and how the agent prefers to communicate.

Good luck, and congratulations!

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
I hope all went well!

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
:hooray::snoopy: Woohoo! Congrats! Well, now you won't have to wonder what she's calling about. :D Keep us posted! :Sun::snoopy:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Hurry! Let us know how the conversation went!

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE OFFER.

trickywoo

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

The conversation went very well, and I accepted her offer.

I am thrilled - she has some great plans in place and we're getting right to work.

It's kind of surreal. Of course, you always think you're book might be accepted, or else you wouldn't send out the queries and work for it. But still to have it actually start to happen is pretty wild!

Thanks for all your help -

Chris Huff

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sisyphus-books.com
Thanks everyone!

The conversation went very well, and I accepted her offer.

I am thrilled - she has some great plans in place and we're getting right to work.

It's kind of surreal. Of course, you always think you're book might be accepted, or else you wouldn't send out the queries and work for it. But still to have it actually start to happen is pretty wild!

Thanks for all your help -

Wonderful. Congrats.

Just be sure to send something along with that full ms. that's out there letting them know you've found representation.