how do i turn this off?

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
i just got a laptop and am being constantly annoyed by my touch pad. when i type my right thumb sits off of the key board, where the touch pad is on the laptop. so whenever i touch the pad i moves my cursor.

how do i turn off this touch to click? it is driving me insane.

ah yes, its running vista.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Turn the touch pointer on or off (From Windows Help and Support on the far right of your pop up when you click on the Start button):

If touch input is available on your computer, you can use the touch pointer to accomplish tasks that are difficult to perform with just your finger, such as targeting small objects on the screen. You can turn on the touch pointer when you need it and turn it off when you don't. For example, you can turn on the touch pointer to tap the Close button on a window and turn it off to browse through e-mail messages.

To turn the touch pointer on or off in Control Panel
Tap to open Pen and Input Devices.

Tap the Touch tab.

Under Touch Pointer, select or clear the Show the touch pointer when I’m interacting with items on the screen check box.

To turn the touch pointer on or off from the taskbar
Use your finger to press and hold the Windows taskbar.

Point to Toolbars, and then tap Touch Pointer.

To turn the touch pointer on or off, tap the Touch Pointer icon on the taskbar.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
i don't have a touch tab. all i have in pen and input is pen options, pointer options, and flicks. i just want it to stop clicking the screen because the my thumb glanced the touch pad. maybe that was where it was on Xp?

just to clarify, since i am afraid that we are talking about other things.

the little touch pad that they have instead of a mouse. on old laptops it was the little rubber nub, and on really old ones it was that round Dpad thingy.

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
I am so waiting for an answer for this question! I am having the same problem. It's hell on my manuscript writing

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
i know, isn't it? ill be writing a part and then bam, its putting stuff in the middle of a line. and when i'm relaxing i play baulder's gate. if you haven't ever played that... well you have to click a lot of stuff to move the game like you want. you have lines that get you good points and lines that get you evil ones and lines that make every one in the room attack you, and well it keeps clicking for me.

all around, i don't know why they would make ii do this. my dad turned it off on his, but he is running an xp, and we couldn't find the stuff in vista.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Do you have an "advanced" tab when you go into Mouse in the Control Panel? That's one way to get to the TouchPad. (Then go to Advance Feature settings to change it from OCD to just mouse.)

Check your task bar-- do you have a touchpad icon? I have one of those hiding by the clock. Mine opens the Mouse Properties menu (same one that comes up in the Control Panel). I run XP on a Toby Satellite.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Vista's a whole 'nother animal, apparently. There's a tab for 'hardware', Clair, in the 'Mouse' area, and one can get to the 'touchpad' from there, but the only option is to 'disable' - it doesn't just let you turn it 'on' or 'off'. I've got a Toshiba Satellite laptop, Niv... what do you have? That may help.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
What about Mouse--> Device Settings?

There's GOT to be a way somewhere... it's just hiding. Sneak up on it!

Niv-- What tabs and buttons do you have in Mouse?

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Okay looking on your task bar...also called start bar...right next to the clock.

See all those icons there? One of those should be a touch pad Icon. hover your mouse (don't click!) and see if you can find it. It'll look like a box or a box with two small rectangles under it. Sometimes they flash. I've seen them be blue and gray.

Now right click on it. Go to options. It might have an exit but if you choose exit you'll have to do it every time you open windows.

Under options you should be able to disable it.

Somethings that might help: what kind of laptop do you have?

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Look at your keyboard. Do you have blue colored symbols on the function (F) keys (the color might not be blue but it usually is)?

Okay, now you should also have a key down in the same row as your spacebar that is labeled "Fn" in blue.

Look at the blue symbols/icons on the function keys for one that has a verticle bar like this | then a rectangle followed by another verticle bar. Mine is over the F4 key.

Hold down the Fn key and press the key I described above. that should turn off your touchpad. Repeat the operation to turn it back on.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
I've a Toshiba Satellite too.
Try Start-> Settings-> Control Panel-> Mouse
--last tab: Device Settings--Synaptics Touch Pad (sez mine) and hit the Settings Button
Under that you'll have a list:
Overview
Tapping -- set tap zones there
Buttons --set left and right buttons
Virtual Scrolling --set for long distance, reagion and actions
Pointer Motion -- Edge motion for constrained, slow, sticky borders and refresh rate
Sensitivity --palm check & touch sensitivity

You can set to disable and or set for having the little icons in the lower right.

RJK

Registered
Reaction score
Nivarion, do you have either a plug-in or wireless mouse? You'll need one. I just checked my Toshiba Satellite and it has the 'Touchpad' icon in the tray near the clock. (My HP notebook used the Fn key as I posted earlier). I think you will need to have a working mouse to make this icon work (how would you turn it back on??)
I just right clicked on the icon, selected 'Turn Off touchpad' with the wireless mouse, and now it's off.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Nivarion, do you have either a plug-in or wireless mouse? You'll need one. I just checked my Toshiba Satellite and it has the 'Touchpad' icon in the tray near the clock. (My HP notebook used the Fn key as I posted earlier). I think you will need to have a working mouse to make this icon work (how would you turn it back on??)
I just right clicked on the icon, selected 'Turn Off touchpad' with the wireless mouse, and now it's off.

If somehow you ever manage to turn off your only mouse without a back up:

Crtl + esc to bring up the start menu.

Use the arrow keys to highlight Control Panel, hit enter

Use the arrow keys to highlight mouse / mouse controls / trackpad / whatever the manufacturer choose to called if it's different from the os standard, click enter.

Use tab and arrow keys to navigate. Usually a dotted line box will appear when something is selected...even radio and check boxes. Hitting enter when thing is selected activates it. When you're done tab / use arrow keys to highlight apply or ok. Then your pointer should work.

I've totally had that happen.

RJK

Registered
Reaction score
Good stuff to know Tirjasdyn. You get a rep point for that.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
I used to have problems with the touch pad when I was typing as well. I found I didn't have to turn it OFF, just reduce the sensitivity. Mine was so sensitive, that I didn't even have to touch it. Heron's instructions work for my Dell, too. Try changing the sensitivity first before turning it off.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
okay, sorry ive been a bit sick and i made me forget some things (like this thread, which i also started right before i was dumped) the only markings i can find on my laptop that would identify it is HP G50.

i also found a little button right below my space bar that toggles the touch pad on and off. its a bit of a pain to push though, so ill turn down the sensitivity. thanks for all the help yall.

but while im still here, the other night the touch pad stopped working all together. when i keyboard navigated my way into the control panel, i saw that it wasn't even showing the touch pad. a re-boot didn't fix it. in the end i had to unplug it and remove the battery. when i re-booted it worked. though its not important now, any one know what would have made it do this?

im glad i thought of removing the battery, cause if i hadn't somebody at HP would be having a very bad day.

RJK

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes these beasties have minds of their own. The only cure is to kill them and bring them back to life.

My PC knows I have the power and the will to do it, so it behaves, mostly.