Give me your baking recipes!!!

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
My husband travels a lot. I only have a few girlfriends, and they don't like to hang out during the week because we have to get up for work the next day, and they like to spend their evenings with their significant others (who happen to be home unlike mine). Anyway, my evenings are usually spent writing, reading, running errands, doing chores, or watching TV. Usually some combination of those.

Until recently.

I made pumpkin chocolate chip oatmeal cookies for Thanksgiving.

Right now, I have a batch of white chocolate macadamia nut cookies in the oven.

I'm having a lot of fun baking! So, give me your best recipes!!! I'm hungry for baking (and I love the compliments at work the next day :) )

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
This is not my recipe, but it's one I've used for over 20 years. It is to die for!

-------
BACARDI RUM CAKE

1 c. chopped pecans or walnuts
1 (18 1/2 oz.) pkg. yellow cake mix
1 (3 3/4 oz.) pkg. instant vanilla pudding
4 eggs
1/2 c. cold water
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. Bacardi dark rum (80 proof)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour 10 inch tube pan or 12 cup Bundt cake pan. Sprinkle nuts over bottom of pan. Mix all ingredients together and pour over nuts. Bake 1 hour. Let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Prick bottom of cake with a skewer and invert onto a plate. Prick top. Drizzle warm glaze evenly over top and sides. Carefully fit cake back in pan and drizzle glaze over bottom. Allow cake to absorb glaze in the pan.

GLAZE:
1/2 c. butter (one stick)
1/4 c. water
1 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. Bacardi dark rum
Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in water and sugar. Boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in rum.

Last edited:

smoothseas

Life sucks... Then ya die...
Registered
Reaction score
yawn... in da land of the terminally bored.
This is so, so easy - rich, moist, and sinfully good.

Better Thank Bakery-Bought Triple Chocolate Bundt Cake

1 (18.25-ounce) package devil's food cake mix
1 (4-ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
1 (12-ounce) semisweet chocolate chips (2 cups)
1 3/4 cups water
2 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Chocolate Glaze:

1 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 to 3 tablespoons hot water

1. Preheat oven to 350*F (175*C). Grease and flour a 12-inch Bundt pan; set aside.
2. In large mixing bowl combine cake mix, pudding mix and chocolate chips. In another bowl combine water,eggs and vanilla; mix well. Add egg mixture to dry mixture and mix by hand just until blended.
3. Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 50 to 55 minutes, or until cake tests done when wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 15 to 20 minutes before removing cake from pan.
4. When completely cool drizzle cake with Chocolate Glaze.
5. For Chocolate Glaze: Combine all ingredients in bowl and beat by hand until smooth.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Someone posted these on another board so I tried them yesterday. Oooh yum! My son declared them the best he's ever eaten and to make them all the time. I like to make brownies because they don't require me to haul out machinery - just a bowl and a spoon - so I make them fairly often. These were outstanding.

Don't be put off by the cayenne - it adds a bit of a bite to them which makes them all the more addictive. Btw I didn't put nuts in them (nut haters in this house) so just dbled the chips. I also added more chips for the topping. I think next time I will add some grated orange rind as well since I'd like them to be slightly more orangey.

It says to cook for 30 minutes but it was 35 in my oven.

Marmalade-Nut Brownies

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup butter, melted
3 eggs
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 cup semisweet or milk chocolate pieces
1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
1/2 teaspoon shortening

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a 13x9x2 inch baking pan with foil, extending it over the ends of pan. Grease foil; set pan aside. In a large mixing bowl stir together sugar and melted butter. Stir in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in marmalade and vanilla. Stir in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and pepper, until well combined. Stir in 1/2 cup of the chocolate pieces and the nuts.

Spread batter evenly into prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until center is set. Transfer pan to a wire rack and cool brownies completely.

Lift brownies from pan using foil edges. Remove foil. Transfer brownies to a large cutting board. Cut into 32 or 36 pieces.

In a small saucepan, combine remaining 1/2 cup chocolate pieces and the shortening. Cook and stir over low heat until melted. Cool slightly. Transfer melted
chocolate mixture into a resealable plastic bag and drizzle over the top.

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
In one of THOSE moods. Look out people, no one is
Here's something that will get better and moister as it sits around. The orignal recipe was from a cook book, but I have tinkered with it over the years and come up with the ultimate no fail banana bread recipe. I have yet to meet someone who doesn't love this.

Laura's Banana Bread

2 T margarine or butter
1 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1 egg
3 brown bananas, mashed (they must at least be spotted!)
1/2 cup orange juice
2 cups sifted all purpose flour (sift it yourself, please!)
2 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt (I use sea salt)

Cream butter and sugar as best you can with a wooden spoon (no I do NOT use a mixer for this recipe), add the egg and mix well. Mix in bananas then add oj. Sift the remaining ingredients together into the wet mixture and stir until just incorporated. Pour into a buttered loaf pan and allow to sit for 15 minutes while you preheat the oven to 350. Bake for about 1 hour or until a tester comes out clean.

You'll smell it, I promise! If the batter takes up more than 2/3 of the pan, put the rest into muffin tins. This happens to me most of the time. If you insist on putting it all into the loaf pan, it will volcano all over your oven and the loaves will look funny. Hope you enjoy it!

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
I am a brownie fanatic and this is the best recipe I have found so far. It has very little flour, so the chocolate flavor is intense. I found the recipe a long time ago in an article about Katherine Hepburn. Supposedly, it was her favorite recipe, though it's hard for me to imagine her cooking.

Katherine Hepburn Brownies

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2 squares unsweetened chocolate
1/4 lb unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp. orange oil (optional, my addition)

Melt chocolate and butter together. Let cool slightly. Stir in sugar, add eggs, vanilla, beat together (I just use a fork, but you can use a mixer) Stir in flour, salt and orange oil if using. Pour in a buttered 8x8 pan, bake 40 minutes.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, thanks everyone! I'm not sure what to try next...

ChimeraCreative

Been there, Done that.
Registered
Reaction score
Mind you, this recipe makes a butt load of cookies, eh? ^_^

4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups butter (unsalted and softened)
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 packages instant pudding mix (I prefer white chocolate or a dark chocolate)
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use 2 cups chocolate chips AND 2 cups chocolate chunks)
2 cups chopped walnuts (optional, I never use them)
bottle of white sanding sugar (it's the thicker sugar that typically goes on top of pastries. Trust me, it makes the cookies terrifically crunchy)

Preheat oven to 350F. Sift together flour and baking soda, set it aside. (yeah... I don't bother to sift either, but I know I should)

Cream the butter and sugars together. Beat in the puddings. Stir in eggs and vanilla. Add the flour in three installments, beat well after each one. Stir in your chips, chunks, nuts, whatever. Roll out BIG balls of dough between your palms. Roll the cookies through a plate or bowl of sanding sugar. I cook them on the foil lined sheet, but it's not necessary to do so. Bakes for 10-12 minutes. They'll be pretty soft when you take them out so let them rest on the tray for a few mo's. They'll stay soft for days, if they last that long. They're about the best cookie I've ever had.

-An

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
Hi Alpha Echo,

Now I'm a HUGE baking fan, and I know that fat is not something we want to be thinking about when stuffing our faces (well, I don't anyway), but I posted this in a separate thread and thought I would move it here for you.

They're not sugar free, but what did you expect? You can't have everything. But the fat content is less than one tenth of a chocolate chip cookie, so pig on these instead and be happy. Oh, and my kids love them too.

Big Fat Zero Cupcakes

3 eggs
1/2 cup Castor Sugar
3/4 cup Flour
1 Tbsp Boiling Water
1/2 tsp Vanilla Essence

Preheat oven to 180C (that's 350F for the americans)

Use an electric mixer to beat sugar and eggs together until pale and thick. Mixture should leave a trail when you lift out the beater and be nearly three times the original size. I turn mine on high and leave it for 15mins which works perfectly.

Using a metal spoon, fold in half the flour, then once incorporated, fold in remaining flour.

Lastly add water and vanilla.

Spoon mixture in patty cases and bake 10 - 15mins or until golden and springy when gently pressed.

Ice when cold. Makes about 40 mini cupcakes.

If I get time, I'll post my chocolate cake recipe, it's fab.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Mind you, this recipe makes a butt load of cookies, eh? ^_^

4 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups butter (unsalted and softened)
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 packages instant pudding mix (I prefer white chocolate or a dark chocolate)
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (I use 2 cups chocolate chips AND 2 cups chocolate chunks)
2 cups chopped walnuts (optional, I never use them)
bottle of white sanding sugar (it's the thicker sugar that typically goes on top of pastries. Trust me, it makes the cookies terrifically crunchy)

Preheat oven to 350F. Sift together flour and baking soda, set it aside. (yeah... I don't bother to sift either, but I know I should)

Cream the butter and sugars together. Beat in the puddings. Stir in eggs and vanilla. Add the flour in three installments, beat well after each one. Stir in your chips, chunks, nuts, whatever. Roll out BIG balls of dough between your palms. Roll the cookies through a plate or bowl of sanding sugar. I cook them on the foil lined sheet, but it's not necessary to do so. Bakes for 10-12 minutes. They'll be pretty soft when you take them out so let them rest on the tray for a few mo's. They'll stay soft for days, if they last that long. They're about the best cookie I've ever had.

-An
An! OMG! I made a 1/2 recipe for the family dinner at my mom's last night. These cookies were SOOOO good. People ate them so fast. And Finn told me that they were his "best cookies, ever!"

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe. YUMMMMM!