Rare books and first editions

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I need my MC to discover that this book (a real one) is a first edition. How would he know, what about the book tells him that?

Thanks!

"Une Saison En Enfer" (A Season in Hell) by Arthur Rimbaud, 1873.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
You have to research it. For example, in books published before 1900 the easiest way to identify an edition is by the cover--leather or half leather, cloth boards or morocco--the page number, and specific typographical errors. It can take a great deal of time.

However, the book you've selected is extremely rare and just so happens to have an internet presence. http://www.baumanrarebooks.com/rare-books/rimbaud-arthur/saison-en-enfer/69173.aspx The first edition was contained in a fairly rare folio box--that would be how I would identify it if (God willing) one ever came through my hands.

So if you're dealing with a contemporary character, he can find this out through nothing more than a simple Google search and a look at sites like www.abebooks.com www.alibris.com and www.antiqbook.com.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Johnny Depp could show up as Corso, the rare book detective from The Ninth Gate/The Club Dumas, and tell him.

Is there anyone he knows other than Johnny Depp who would be able to recognize it? Or any book cafes he frequents where an interested stranger would recognize it?

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score
Does he suspect this book might be valuable, so he goes looking for information? If so, can he consult an expert (possibly at a museum or university library), or does he want to keep it secret?

Or do you need for him to find out by accident?

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Thanks all. He buys the book thinking it might be of some value, but then finds out it is a signed, first edition. I wanted him to figure it out himself, but I think I can take up the suggestion of an expert looking at it. But I guess I'd still like to know what the expert sees that marks it as a first edition.

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Biographies of Rimbaud would have details about the book. Apparently 300-500 were printed, but most were not distributed. Book dealers have an encyclopedic memory for the once in a lifetime finds.

From that link:
RIMBAUD, Arthur.
Une Saison en Enfer.

Brussels: Alliance typographique, 1873. (The publisher. An expert would know when and where this press was operating)

12mo******* size http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/12mo roughly 5x7 depending on how the binder trims it.

original paper wrappers********* thin vellum-like paper (cooking parchment is close to the texture) that was used to protect the unbound pages from smudges. Typically buyers would have the pages bound themselves to suit their decor, by their favorite binder.

uncut and partially unopened *********** Literally - it's unreadable because the pages are the way they came from the printer, folded from the original larger sheet, but not trimmed because that's the bindery's job. If you cut the pages, you destroy much of the "mint in box" collector attraction.

pp. 53. *** number of pages in the original.

It would be a small, unimpressive book of French poetry, perhaps nicely bound but still uncut. I've never seen the page images for it, but it wasn't an "art book".

If it was owned by a collector, they might have had a clamshell case made to protect it, but that would not have been the way it was originally distributed.